Cap Compliance

inkman

Listening to Darren Dreger on Sabres Live, he stated that Bettman and the league front office personnel aren’t concerned at all with teams like Vegas completely abusing the salary cap restrictions with their ridiculous LTIR manipulation of the cap.  

Has there ever been a company so tone deaf to their sports basic fundamental principles?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

None.   

You acquire elite talent over the salary cap, and then you bury veteran stars on LTIR for a season, then they get to play them in the playoffs.   That is the new model for the 4 or 5 true contenders.  

Bettman loves seeing Vegas win.  Why would he say or do anything to question the legitimacy.  

• Like (+1) 2

Bettman is employed by the owners, right?  I presume then a majority of the owners are OK with this.  🤷‍♂️

Where TF was this when we were trying to do the same with Tim Connolly?

We have always been the awkward sister that is not allowed nice things.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m in the minority, but the league is telling us that this basic principal is allowed these days. Any team who wants to pay the bucks can do it so I’m fine with it.  Also, no one is arguing Mark Stone’s injury isn’t legitimate.  

I know the Sabres got jobbed a long time ago during the Tim Connolly era, but times have changed.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m in the minority, but the league is telling us that this basic principal is allowed these days. Any team who wants to pay the bucks can do it so I’m fine with it.  Also, no one is arguing Mark Stone’s injury isn’t legitimate.  

I know the Sabres got jobbed a long time ago during the Tim Connolly era, but times have changed.  

agreed. it is in the rules for every team to use. we would be more than happy with the sabres utilizing this...if they could actually get into the playoffs without their star players....well, get into the playoffs that is

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Bettman is employed by the owners, right?  I presume then a majority of the owners are OK with this.  🤷‍♂️

Where TF was this when we were trying to do the same with Tim Connolly?

We have always been the awkward sister that is not allowed nice things.

Now, now. Every team is afforded the same opportunity to win. If they don’t, it has to be their own fault.

Meh...the NHL's model seems very flawed if not completely broken.  How can half the teams or more lose money but yet the salary cap goes up year after year?  Makes no sense.

Making the kind of revenue they are making NO TEAM should be losing money.  Literally the entire salaries of the NFL are paid from their share of revenue and not out of the owners pockets. They pay for signing bonuses up front but that's up to them if they want to do it.  NFL pretty much prints money so it's usually not an issue.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

You know why they don’t care? Probably the only way to fix it is to pay players during the playoffs. 

Or make teams have to be cap compliant on a game to game basis.  If the roster you put on the ice isn’t under the cap, you gotta sit someone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Or make teams have to be cap compliant on a game to game basis.  If the roster you put on the ice isn’t under the cap, you gotta sit someone. 

They’re all CBA matters and they don’t want to open that can of worms. 

But really, what we are seeing right now is our gambling overlords playing games. Of course the league has no issue with them. 

Bill Foley, The Owner of the Golden Knights, told the 32 Thoughts Podcast that he would be willing to spend 130 million in salary for The Knights

Terry Pegula , The Owner of the Sabres, would not allow His GM to be a third team broker in any deals over the past three seasons. 

That’s the difference in ownership philosophy. 

One possibility, should the owners and NHLPA agree, for the next CBA would be having a set number of playoff games that a player on LTIR at the end of the season would need to miss before returning. 

42 minutes ago, inkman said:

I doubt the players would ever agree to playing without full rosters in the playoffs from a player safety standpoint 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Also, no one is arguing Mark Stone’s injury isn’t legitimate.  

So it will be a coincidence that Stone’s injury happens to heal just as the playoffs are starting?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Awesome! (+1) 1