Sabres Trade Erik Johnson to Philadelphia for a 2024 4th Round Pick

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Right Handed Defenders need not apply. 

GTFO of here righties!

If the Sabres don't re-sign Joker Connor Clifton will be our only RHD. 

He was terrible from the start.  One of the worst one year signings recently.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

The chances of a 4th round pick playing in the nhl are the same as the chances of the Sabres making the playoffs this decade.  

What year is the 4th rounder? If, IF the Sabres were in contention next year and had an injury in the bottom 6, that 4th can be flipped to a team eliminated to get that player.

Also, Imagine its the early 3rd round, you have a guy rated in your top 40 but you are still 3-4 picks away. Flip that 4th to someone to move up a few spots to get the guy you want.

A 4th rounder is not likely to turned into a player of value long term, but it can more more worth as a bargaining chip in other moves.

Finally, take a goalie.  5 of the 10 top guys in the league in save percentage (played at least 25 games) were taken in the 4th round or later.

Edited by mjd1001

3 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

He was terrible from the start.  One of the worst one year signings recently.

I don't care if he was better than Erik Karlsson. I am just here for the all left handed team!

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Bringing in EJ was a good move on paper that should've worked better than it did.

If he's not on an NHL roster next year, then his not working out here was probably more on him than on the Sabres.  But at this point we're guilty until proven innocent.

Probably looks worse if we were relying on a guy who turned out to be near the end of his rope as an NHLer haha 

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

With all the left handers it feels like the team is rooting for me.

I am also left handed. Born on national left handers day 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

What year is the 4th rounder? If, IF the Sabres were in contention next year

Stop right there.  

To quote Red from Shawshank Redemption, "Let me tell you something my friend.  Hope is a dangerous thing.  Hope can drive a man insane.  It's got no use on the other side.  Better get used to that idea."

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Probably looks worse if we were relying on a guy who turned out to be near the end of his rope as an NHLer haha 

I am also left handed. Born on national left handers day 

There are 3 RHF (Quinn is out) and 2 RHD  in Buffalo and 1RHF and 4RHD in Rochester. However that Rochester number could drop to 3 depending on what the move is with Sjalin. Also all 5 goalies between both clubs shoot left. 

I don't know why I find it so hilarious. But I am rooting for more lefties and less righties at this point. Get out of here Tuch, Thompson, Cozens, Joker, and Clifton!

On a more serious note the league average for left handed players hovers around 60%. The Sabres are around ~80%. There is a legitimate concern about the ability moving the puck around efficiently when so many guys are constantly having to reposition or take/give passes off the backhand.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So we’ve acquired a 7th, a 4th, and a leadership void so far 

At this point just make Brandon Beane president of the world and let him make the picks. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

There are 3 RHF (Quinn is out) and 2 RHD  in Buffalo and 1RHF and 4RHD in Rochester. However that Rochester number could drop to 3 depending on what the move is with Sjalin. Also all 5 goalies between both clubs shoot left. 

I don't know why I find it so hilarious. But I am rooting for more lefties and less righties at this point. Get out of here Tuch, Thompson, Cozens, Joker, and Clifton!

On a more serious note the league average for left handed players hovers around 60%. The Sabres are around ~80%. There is a legitimate concern about the ability moving the puck around efficiently when so many guys are constantly having to reposition or take/give passes off the backhand.

At this point just make Brandon Beane president of the world and let him make the picks. 

Rochester only has 1 right shot F? Lol crazy 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Rochester only has 1 right shot F? Lol crazy 

Dude, I had to go back and keep scrolling through to make sure. It didn't seem real. 

Even now to grab the link and share it I had to scroll through and double back. It feels like it cannot be correct but it is. Justin Richards is the only one. 

https://www.amerks.com/team

On a real note I am curious how many of our turnovers happen to/from a LH player on the right side. Specifically the stuff deep in our own end. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

What year is the 4th rounder? If, IF the Sabres were in contention next year and had an injury in the bottom 6, that 4th can be flipped to a team eliminated to get that player.

Also, Imagine its the early 3rd round, you have a guy rated in your top 40 but you are still 3-4 picks away. Flip that 4th to someone to move up a few spots to get the guy you want.

A 4th rounder is not likely to turned into a player of value long term, but it can more more worth as a bargaining chip in other moves.

Finally, take a goalie.  5 of the 10 top guys in the league in save percentage (played at least 25 games) were taken in the 4th round or later.

Idgaf what year a 4th rounder is.  This team needs major changes.  I get during the deadline isn't the time for major surgery but usually there's an opportunity to fleece some desperate teams.  Or, you know, try and make the team better now.

The vision with this team seems to be stay soft and do nothing. 

Edited by L Ron Burgundy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, L Ron Burgundy said:

Idgaf what year a 4th rounder is.  This team needs major changes.  I get doing the deadline isn't the time for major surgery but usually there's an opportunity to fleece some desperate teams.  Or, you know, try and make the team better now.

The vision with this team seems to be stay soft and do nothing. 

But you aren't getting more than a 4th for Johnson. My comment was in response to a 4th rounder meaning nothing..it doesn't mean nothing..and it doesn't mean nothing especially in light of what you gave up for it.

And apparently for the second straight deadline, we refuse to use any of our available cap room, top 3 in the league, again, to facilitate any 3 way deals just to get free assets. Does anyone ever get the feeling we have a GM that doesn’t understand fully how to accomplish his job? Why in the world wouldn’t you use some of your tons of available cap room to get free future assets that could either miraculously pan out or be reused in future deals? 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

at least he helped teach this team how to win. 

This is the biggest horse 💩 fallacy in hockey. Every team in the league has veterans that have won in the past. They can't all win.

The team with the most heart and talent is the one that wins. Both of these traits cannot be taught.

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But you aren't getting more than a 4th for Johnson. My comment was in response to a 4th rounder meaning nothing..it doesn't mean nothing..and it doesn't mean nothing especially in light of what you gave up for it.

I get it.  They should be much more aggressive.   These moves amount to little or nothing that will improve this colossal shite show we got going on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1