Dahlin setting records recently...

Big Guava

Against Carolina, Dahlin set the record this year for skating distance in a single game at 4.91 miles 

https://www.nhl.com/news/rasmus-dahlin-sets-top-single-game-skating-distance-of-2023-24

Dahlin also recently became the only Sabres defenseman to ever log 29+ minutes of ice time in a game 7 times in a season and the first player to do it since 2016 in the entire NHL.

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I would prefer a deeper defence so that his minutes could drop below 24.

With Mule out and EJ showing his age, Dahlin has been used too much on the PK, which adds to his wear and tear.

His minutes provide more value at 5v5 and PP.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Any player logging this many minutes in the regular season is not an accomplishment. It is an indictment of how thin the roster is. 

I'd say its a bit of both.

It's an accomplishment for Dahlin in regards to his skill and stamina

But an indictment of depth; but more so after Power's return. Prior to that we were down our #3 & #4 or #2 & #4 depending on your rank of Power and most teams aren't equipped to simply replace those minutes with AHLers.

I know players, especially D-men, who get a lot of minutes tend to 'learn' when to coast, how to conserve energy when on the ice to allow for higher minutes. Granato made a comment last week regarding Dahlin and his minutes. However, I wonder if the NHL is just 'behind' in their thinking/research into load management.

-in the NBA recently, players, STAR players, over the last few years are starting to get nights off. entire games where they don't play. even if their team is in a playoff race, because the thinking is, it is more important for the long run of the team and the players health to manage their minutes/games than it is to have them play every game.  

-in baseball, for most of my life (and well before) your best pitcher pitched as long as he could. Starters in general you wanted at least 7 innings, and if you could get a complete game out of them you did that. Again, in the last few years with research and trial-and-error, baseball has found out you are better off not doing that. Get a fresh guy in there when you can. Starts go 6 innings, 5, even 4? that is fine. Bring in a reliever to throw 20 pitches, then on to the next? That is what they do now.

Again, maybe you don't want your best D-man out there 'figuring out' when to coast, and who knows how the minutes impact him by the end of the season (even if he says he is ok day-to-day).  Maybe, not just the Sabres but he entire NHL, might learn something from the way the NBA and MLB handles minutes/load.  I'm not saying I would LIKE that (I really enjoyed baseball more when your starter's goal was a complete game), and I certainly would NOT want to be a ticket buyer when a star player isn't playing.....but I'm not sure the way the NHL is doing it vs other sports might be the correct way of load management.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

You know how in football RB’s careers can be shorted if they get too many carries?  Their bodies get worn down and they just fall off.  
Can or does that happen in hockey? 

Here’s hoping 

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I know players, especially D-men, who get a lot of minutes tend to 'learn' when to coast, how to conserve energy when on the ice to allow for higher minutes. Granato made a comment last week regarding Dahlin and his minutes. However, I wonder if the NHL is just 'behind' in their thinking/research into load management.

-in the NBA recently, players, STAR players, over the last few years are starting to get nights off. entire games where they don't play. even if their team is in a playoff race, because the thinking is, it is more important for the long run of the team and the players health to manage their minutes/games than it is to have them play every game.  

-in baseball, for most of my life (and well before) your best pitcher pitched as long as he could. Starters in general you wanted at least 7 innings, and if you could get a complete game out of them you did that. Again, in the last few years with research and trial-and-error, baseball has found out you are better off not doing that. Get a fresh guy in there when you can. Starts go 6 innings, 5, even 4? that is fine. Bring in a reliever to throw 20 pitches, then on to the next? That is what they do now.

Again, maybe you don't want your best D-man out there 'figuring out' when to coast, and who knows how the minutes impact him by the end of the season (even if he says he is ok day-to-day).  Maybe, not just the Sabres but he entire NHL, might learn something from the way the NBA and MLB handles minutes/load.  I'm not saying I would LIKE that (I really enjoyed baseball more when your starter's goal was a complete game), and I certainly would NOT want to be a ticket buyer when a star player isn't playing.....but I'm not sure the way the NHL is doing it vs other sports might be the correct way of load management.

Load management should never be a thing; players make a lot of money and its their literal job to be out there, barring injury, for their many paying customers. The NBA is a literal joke with the fact they give their players games off for purely rest days; they should be required to then pay all those fans who bought tickets money back for their "load management"

The MLB is a bit different, starters throw far harder than they used to and as such 100 or so pitches is about their limit. But that isn't a hard cap, some players are different than others and can throw on shorter rest or throw more pitches without issue. It all depends on pitching style and how they do in each individual game as well their personal attributes like age and experience. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Allen said:

You know how in football RB’s careers can be shorted if they get too many carries?  Their bodies get worn down and they just fall off.  
Can or does that happen in hockey? 

Probably depends on the player and their injuries. Suter and Doughty are both still playing and have been near the top of the league in TOI most of their respective careers. (Suter obviously took a step back in TOI upon his departure from MIN)

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Load management should never be a thing; players make a lot of money and its their literal job to be out there, barring injury, for their many paying customers. The NBA is a literal joke with the fact they give their players games off for purely rest days; they should be required to then pay all those fans who bought tickets money back for their "load management"

The MLB is a bit different, starters throw far harder than they used to and as such 100 or so pitches is about their limit. But that isn't a hard cap, some players are different than others and can throw on shorter rest or throw more pitches without issue. It all depends on pitching style and how they do in each individual game as well their personal attributes like age and experience. 

How about when DHs get a scheduled rest day? They can't get off the bench to hit 4 times?

1 minute ago, nucci said:

How about when DHs get a scheduled rest day? They can't get off the bench to hit 4 times?

That honestly is kind of absurd however the MLB schedule doesn't exactly have much rest time so aside that specific case I'm ok with it to general degree. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

That honestly is kind of absurd however the MLB schedule doesn't exactly have much rest time so aside that specific case I'm ok with it to general degree. 

still, it's baseball. Who gets tired playing baseball?

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

It can be, there's a lot of running and games tend to be pretty long in the sun more often than not. Plus it can be mentally tiring batting against guys throwing 98mph pitches at you.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

The other difference with baseball is you have a bench to rotate through to keep everyone dialed in to big league pitching and you have very distinct matchups. Unless you have an Edgar Martinez who bats over .300 against righties and lefties, you might rotate your DH to take advantage of someone's strength v. lefties or to give the 35-year-old 1B a day off in 95-degree heat/humidity at the end of 14 games in 15 days.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I loved watching Nolan Ryan pitch, we’ll never see that type of career again.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

You'll be the first one singing his praises when they make the playoffs next year or the year after

So you want me to be happy when he hasn't done anything but make depth moves like we're some Stanly cup team already ?