Overall, the Sabres have been an above-average team defensively

dudacek

Not my opinion, it's what the numbers say:

The Sabres finished last season 24th in the NHL in defence, allowing 3.35 goals per game

• In the 1st quarter of this season they were 18th, allowing 3.33
  • In the 2nd quarter of this season they were 25th allowing 3.40
  • In the 3rd quarter of this season they are 1st allowing 2.16

Overall this season they are tied for 12th allowing 2.98

The last time the Sabres finished in the top half of the league in goals against was 2009/10, Ryan Miller's Vezina season. The only time they've been close since was when they finished 16th out of 30 in Bylsma's first year.

What, if anything, should we read into this?

• Like (+1) 1

Not a damn thing IMHO.

Once again they are a day late and a dollar short — and once again they are putting up empty numbers against opponents who are not bringing their A games in the 2nd half of the season against yet another crappy Sabres team.

To be fair, I suppose we can infer that UPL might be a real NHL goalie.  But I’m not going any further than that as far as making any determinations about the team as a whole.

I still want a new coach and some new players.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not a damn thing IMHO.

Once again they are a day late and a dollar short — and once again they are putting up empty numbers against opponents who are not bringing their A games in the 2nd half of the season against yet another crappy Sabres team.

To be fair, I suppose we can infer that UPL might be a real NHL goalie.  But I’m not going any further than that as far as making any determinations about the team as a whole.

There are no questions that this has been a disappointing season. But as you seem to acknowledge in your post the upgraded defensive numbers that @dudacek posted do reflect our upgrade in net with UPL. The Sabres at .500 are not a crappy team. However, it's fair to say that they are not a complete/well-rounded enough team, but that is far from being a crappy team (your description). 

I don't believe there will be a new coach next year. And without a doubt, there will be some new players on the roster next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres finished last season 24th in the NHL in defence, allowing 3.35 goals per game

The last time the Sabres finished in the top half of the league in goals against was 2009/10, Ryan Miller's Vezina season. The only time they've been close since was when they finished 16th out of 30 in Bylsma's first year.

I know what the numbers say: We should be encouraged. And we should be. On the other hand, I know how I feel. This is another needlessly lost season. With a few judicious tweaks to the roster in the previous offseason, this should have been a season where the results could have been more positive. It's even more exasperating when you see Detroit and Philly ahead of us in the standings. I'm encouraged more than most here about the direction of this franchise. But with wiser direction the arduous road to respectability should have been shorter. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not a damn thing IMHO.

I agree with this in totality. 

But I’m no hypocrite: if we make the playoffs, ALL bets are off. It’s about the results.

Buckle in 

- - -

I’ll also add to add that I hypothesized a commitment to defence could see improvements this year but that team offence would suffer as a result, sans no outside additions. That’s more less what happened, and please, no “if you remove our best players it’s not that bad” comps 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I know what the numbers say: We should be encouraged. And we should be. On the other hand, I know how I feel. This is another needlessly lost season. With a few judicious tweaks to the roster in the previous offseason, this should have been a season where the results could have been more positive. It's even more exasperating when you see Detroit and Philly ahead of us in the standings. I'm encouraged more than most here about the direction of this franchise. But with wiser direction the arduous road to respectability should have been shorter. 

I’m surprised you are calling the season lost when you hadn’t given up a week or so ago. Our improved play combined with a dearth of competition has us alive alive imo. These teams in the mix are not good

We’ve gone 13-9 since January in 22 games 

15-7 over the next 22 is not that crazy. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

- - -

I’ll also add to add that I hypothesized a commitment to defence could see improvements this year but that team offence would suffer as a result, sans no outside additions. That’s more less what happened, and please, no “if you remove our best players it’s not that bad” comps 

I’m surprised you are calling the season lost when you hadn’t given up a week or so ago. Our improved play combined with a dearth of competition has us alive alive imo. These teams in the mix are not good

You have keen and discerning eyes. I should have said disappointing season that hasn't met my/our expectations. You are right, I haven't given up on this season. But our slow start and home record has frustrated me. The hole that this team has dug for itself is exasperating. 

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A big part of it is UPL who now ranks in the top 10 in save %, and that 3rd quarter change coincides with his emergence as a legit #1.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You have keen and discerning eyes. I should have said disappointing season that hasn't met my/our expectations. You are right, I haven't given up on this season. But our slow start and home record has frustrated me. The hole that this team has dug for itself is exasperating. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with this in totality. 

But I’m no hypocrite: if we make the playoffs, ALL bets are off. It’s about the results.

Buckle in 

Well, sure, but that seems extremely unlikely.  

Conclusions:

1. UPL has emerged as the #1 goalkeeper in the organisation.

2. Things could really improve with the proper changes to the roster 

3. Running the team back 100% was a blunder.  Experienced GMs would not have made this mistake.

4. Preseason was not used enough to get the team to gel.  Experienced coaches would not have made this mistake.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Based on the offenses they played against in the 3rd quarter breakdown... nothing yet.

We need to see if they can keep it going for the next month -- basically Feb 25th (FLA) through March 30th (TOR). Keep this stretch of offenses under 3.0 gpg and now we're talking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Based on the offenses they played against in the 3rd quarter breakdown... nothing yet.

We need to see if they can keep it going for the next month -- basically Feb 25th (FLA) through March 30th (TOR). Keep this stretch of offenses under 3.0 gpg and now we're talking.

Idk about a decline in competition.  

We just went 2-1 against Carolina Florida and Tampa and the 3rd goal scored by Florida was a 5 on 3 goal.  

And as far as teams sleep walking against us idk…I think we lost a game 1-0 to Vancouver who only managed 20 shots against us.  

I feel like if we bring it and a team wants to take the night off we will dominate that team.  

I’m hoping something really clicked in our core guys after the post game salute response.  

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

I'm inclined to agree with this but:

• Carolina 2
  • Florida 3, 4
  • Vancouver 1
  • Dallas 2
  • Tampa 2, 3
  • Minnesota 2
  • Los Angeles 0, 3
  • Ottawa 3

is what they've done against the good and decent offences faced this quarter

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Second Line Center said:

Idk about a decline in competition.  

We just went 2-1 against Carolina Florida and Tampa and the 3rd goal scored by Florida was a 5 on 3 goal.  

And as far as teams sleep walking against us idk…I think we lost a game 1-0 to Vancouver who only managed 20 shots against us.  

I feel like if we bring it and a team wants to take the night off we will dominate that team.  

I’m hoping something really clicked in our core guys after the post game salute response.  

The strength of record for the teams we’ve faced has been significantly lower in the second half so far though - the 3 games you mentioned notwithstanding 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I'm going to try to take a middle ground here between those who think it means something and those who say it means nothing:

Lets see if it continues.  

-On one hand, not only the stats, but the 'eye test' (to me) shows the forwards are playing MUCH better in their own zone.  Yes, they have had a 'lighter' schedule, but this also does apply in the few games against good teams they have played.  The Forwards play better in their own zone...thus that helps the defensemen to play better, and backstopped by good goaltending, and you get a team that is OBVIOUSLY improving.....but..

-On the OTHER hand, just about every team has stretches of good and bad play that don't last.  Just one example...Arizona.  Through the end of the Calendar year, they were 18-14-2, 38 points in 34 games.  Since then they only have 5 total wins in 25 games.  Look at Florida last year...they barely squeaked into the playoff, but they since then (playoffs and this season) are arguably the best team in the league since.  BAD teams have stretches of games, maybe months long, where they look good but ultimately aren't.  GOOD teams have stretches of games (again, weeks or months long) where they look bad but ultimately aren't.  The Sabres? I'm HOPEFUL they have turned the corner, learned good D-zone play. but....

I need to see it continue.  I'm a 'partial' believer it means something, but I need more before I can be sure.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of it is noise relative to how close we are to fielding a “proper” team re:achieving results necessary to make the playoffs 

our goal differential last season: 19th

our goal differential this season: 20th

I like that I said “shell game” a million times this offseason cause that’s what the numbers bear out 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

There is littel doubt that the team is better defensively this year, but their offense has suffered somewhat, and I liked them last year better when they were fun, exciting and scorng lots. Some claim that defense wins games, but of course we have not seen that this year.

I do fear that this sudden burst of playing better wil only take away from the simply fact that  the team needs some changes for sure. yes there is improvement redently, but most would say it is too little too late. I do nto buy the argument that they are winning against weaker opponents however. We have beaten a bunch of good  teams this year, including who we play tonight. I certainly do not wish to become some  defenive first team that is boring. They need to put fans in the seats and exciting hockey will do that over voring defensive hockey, even if they win a bit more.  

1 minute ago, sabrefanday1 said:

There is littel doubt that the team is better defensively this year, but their offense has suffered somewhat, and I liked them last year better when they were fun, exciting and scorng lots. Some claim that defense wins games, but of course we have not seen that this year.

I do fear that this sudden burst of playing better wil only take away from the simply fact that  the team needs some changes for sure. yes there is improvement redently, but most would say it is too little too late. I do nto buy the argument that they are winning against weaker opponents however. We have beaten a bunch of good  teams this year, including who we play tonight. I certainly do not wish to become some  defenive first team that is boring. They need to put fans in the seats and exciting hockey will do that over voring defensive hockey, even if they win a bit more.  

The good news is that contrary to the analysis that looked like we had taken a significant step back this year, instead we look to have stalled out right around the same spot. Still extremely unacceptable given the goal, but much easier to rebound from going forward.

It should show KA that what we had last year was “real”, we really are a team that is within shouting distance of a playoff spot. Most importantly, it should show KA the “run it back” approach was a mistake. No overhaul needed, just judicious supplementations.

It’s a mulligan available to KA, but one he absolutely can’t punt on a second time 

• Like (+1) 1

We are also going to finish above .500 twice in a row, when we hadn’t done it once since Darcy Regier, if I’m not mistaken. 

Adams hasn’t been a good GM. That’s a league relative comparison. But he’s been better than the last couple Sabres guys. He’s been the best GM of that bunch

im going to take a shower 

Edited by Thorny

Remember last year when the team had a good record with Mule in the lineup and a poor record with him out?

He got hurt on Jan 13th this year. I don’t think he was playing well this year so his absence gave Joki, Clifton, Bryson (can’t believe I am using him) more ice time and they have all done well.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

We are also going to finish above .500 twice in a row, when we hadn’t done it once since Darcy Regier, if I’m not mistaken. 

Adams hasn’t been a good GM. That’s a league relative comparison. But he’s been better than the last couple Sabres guys. He’s been the best GM of that bunch

im going to take a shower 

I found Kevyns account 

• Haha (+1) 2