GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Tampa Bay Lightning Thurs. Feb 29th 7pm, ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

Ok, Quality starts for a goalie.  From what I can tell a goalie is awarded a quality start IF you have a save percentage in a game above league average for the year, OR you allow 2 goals or less.  With that game, I beleive UPL now has the best percentage of quality starts this year (passing Hellebuyck tonight), for 1st in the league in QS percentage.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Some quick thoughts about this game: As each game goes by it becomes more evident that UPL is solidifying himself as our #1 goalie. 

The play of the game was Mitts pass to Dahlin for the score. 

Tage had a good game. It seems that he is the focus for the opposition's game plan. 

I thought Greenway had a good game. No flash but solidly good. Lately, he has become a shooter. Good for him.

Granato jumbled the lines quite a bit. 

Dahlin is our best defenseman. The coaches are going to ride him until he collapses. He's accumulating a tremendous amount of minutes. 

This game didn't have much of a flow. It was a bit choppy. Each team put a lot of effort on defense. 

I'm happy about the win but am a bit agitated that it took so long for this team to get it together. What's encouraging is that the goaltending and defensive effort are coming together. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

But he can't battle along the wall and his playmaking is avg at best.  And the PP is designed for 72 and 26 to shoot, so really doesn't help is 53 is your best finisher 

I've Skinner more than a few times come away with a puck from a battle on the boards.  It usually has nothing to do with him being physical, rather coming to an existing battle and using his hands/stickwork to come away with the puck. Its not that impressive, but he does get SOME loose pucks/pucks from battles along the boards.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

53 is the best finisher on the team

he has 3 PP goals in 2024. How is he a finisher. ???   Oh and 2 assists in 27 games.   

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dahlin gave Ellis credit for drawing up the OT Winner 

Give him the job 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Some quick thoughts about this game: As each game goes by it becomes more evident that UPL is solidifying himself as our #1 goalie. 

The play of the game was Mitts pass to Dahlin for the score. 

Tage had a good game. It seems that he is the focus for the opposition's game plan. 

I thought Greenway had a good game. No flash but solidly good. Lately, he has become a shooter. Good for him.

Granato jumbled the lines quite a bit. 

Dahlin is our best defenseman. The coaches are going to ride him until he collapses. He's accumulating a tremendous amount of minutes. 

This game didn't have much of a flow. It was a bit choppy. Each team put a lot of effort on defense. 

I'm happy about the win but am a bit agitated that it took so long for this team to get it together. What's encouraging is that the goaltending and defensive effort is coming together. 

Dahlin actually ended up with LESS than 28 minutes, and that was with OT. Practically a day off for him!  All 6 D-men did get decent ice time. I think everyone was above 16 minutes....normally you have one guy with 10 minutes or less.

Up front, some interesting things with ice time...Peterka and Benson both only around 12 minutes total, Krebs with just over 10 minutes....while Robinson had 15.5 and Girgensons ahd 14.5 minutes.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I've Skinner more than a few times come away with a puck from a battle on the boards.  It usually has nothing to do with him being physical, rather coming to an existing battle and using his hands/stickwork to come away with the puck. Its not that impressive, but he does get SOME loose pucks/pucks from battles along the boards.

You can not compare the board battle between 37 and 53.  They are miles apart 

Was driving during OT. What a garbage call of the OT by Dunleavy. I had almost no idea of what was going on or who had the puck.

Great win. With UPL's goaltending, EJ out of the lineup, Dahlin staying healthy while he logs big minutes, and Tage Thompson getting some "swag" back (as Dahlin put it)... maybe just maybe... 🤞

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Was driving during OT. What a garbage call of the OT by Dunleavy. I had almost no idea of what was going on or who had the puck.

Great win. With UPL's goaltending, EJ out of the lineup, Dahlin staying healthy while he logs big minutes, and Tage Thompson getting some "swag" back (as Dahlin put it)... maybe just maybe... 🤞

I think they have a legitimate chance. Watching Tampa was eye opening, hadn’t seen them play in a while 

none of the teams above really scare, I know the Sabres are going to have a very strong finish, just remains to be seen if it can be REALLY strong. I’d say they have a 1/4 shot 

Contrary to what the math might say 

Edited by Thorny
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Dahlin is our best defenseman.

Bryson surprises me every game by making a sneaky good play to exit the zone.  I think all the watching has made him one of the smarter Dmen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Good finish to a pretty uninspired hockey game imo. Tampa is in some sort of definite slump/funk so it's good they came alive a little and won in the OT. Otherwise I thought it was a pretty terrible hockey game from almost everyone involved. 

win's a win. Better than losing. 

10 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Dahlin actually ended up with LESS than 28 minutes, and that was with OT. Practically a day off for him!  All 6 D-men did get decent ice time. I think everyone was above 16 minutes....normally you have one guy with 10 minutes or less.

Up front, some interesting things with ice time...Peterka and Benson both only around 12 minutes total, Krebs with just over 10 minutes....while Robinson had 15.5 and Girgensons ahd 14.5 minutes.

On the post game, Don G was asked why Krebs didn't get much playing time, especially in the third period. The coach said that it was simply game specific. Both Paul Hamilton and another WGR radio commentator voiced the same opinion that they thought Krebs in general played well and that being benched didn't make much sense. I lean towards WGR's Hamilton point of view. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Bryson surprises me every game by making a sneaky good play to exit the zone.  I think all the watching has made him one of the smarter Dmen.

It's getting to the point that he is more than sneaky good. He's simply playing well. He's one of the surprising good stories in this season. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

It's getting to the point that he is more than sneaky good. He's simply playing well. He's one of the surprising good stories in this season. 

They say it takes a while for a Dman to mature.  Bryson seems best suited for a 7/8D role; not sure if he'd be good as a full time player.  But he's been a godsend in this stretch.  The Sabres are 11-4 with him in the lineup.  I think what he provides is boring defense and so-so offensive support.  He'll jump up on the play but definitely doesn't push it like our top D do.  And on the defensive side, he's not so much looking to set up an offensive rush as he is just looking to clear the puck.  Our top D get too fancy imo and try to exit the zone with control.  Sometimes it's best to just get it out.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Gutsy win.

I'm getting this weird feeling that had they played looser to start the season we'd be in the playoffs atm. Last year we won games with high scoring games and struggled with close games. This year we've actually looked better when teams started to lock things down after Jan 1st. 

After being one of UPL's strongest critics, he has definitely turned the corner and playing well in the crease. Now that he is making the saves, he needs to now work on his play behind the net. He gives the puck right to the opposing team an awful lot.

Greenway is not a top line player IMHO. I don't get the logic of him being there. The Thompson line becomes less of a threat when he is on it. He doesn't have the play making prowess to match up with Thompson and Tuch. He's a third/fourth liner who can fill in on the second line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Dahlin gave Ellis credit for drawing up the OT Winner 

4-on-3. The Matt Ellis of power plays.

Still, it was a really effective S-curve attack by Dahlin and great pass from Mitts.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, Quality starts for a goalie.  From what I can tell a goalie is awarded a quality start IF you have a save percentage in a game above league average for the year, OR you allow 2 goals or less.  With that game, I beleive UPL now has the best percentage of quality starts this year (passing Hellebuyck tonight), for 1st in the league in QS percentage.

UPL's been solid from the very start of the season. He's gotten roughed up very few times (same as any of the top 'tenders) and he only had a single rough stretch after Thanksgiving. Otherwise, solid.

If Levi hadn't been unready (the whole team wasn't ready) for the start of the season, and if Comrie and his 1-6 .868 sv% aren't on the roster but instead an average backup...  then tonight's game would have had a very different feel.

• Like (+1) 2