To still make the playoffs TODAY

erickompositör72

Thread for OCD types who don't like reality.

Let me know if I did my math right (as of BEFORE their 2.19 Ducks game), assuming 93pts makes the playoffs:

28 games remaining, 41 more pts. needed

18 games at ".500," with at least 4 being overtime losses [+22pts]

9 game winning streak, divided how you'd like (three 3-game winning streaks; one 4-game winning streak + one 5-game winning streak; etc.) [+18pts]

1 more OT loss [+1pt]

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Thread for OCD types who don't like reality.

Let me know if I did my math right (as of BEFORE their 2.19 Ducks game), assuming 93pts makes the playoffs:

28 games remaining, 41 more pts. needed

18 games at ".500," with at least 4 being overtime losses [+22pts]

9 game winning streak, divided how you'd like (three 3-game winning streaks; one 4-game winning streak + one 5-game winning streak; etc.) [+18pts]

1 more OT loss [+1pt]

So how do you do this if the Sabres don't win more than 2 in a row?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Someone who's better at math than me can determine if going 2W + 1L every 3 games gets them in. Probably would need some OTL's in there?

Rounding up, winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the season gets them to 88 points.

As someone who’s definitively ocd, I’ve already started compulsively thinking about the looming offseason

was hoping the last minute rescuing of victory from the jaws of defeat vs Minnesota might provide a sort of last-ditch spark, but..alas.

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Who knows what might have been..

All I know is teams that made a coaching change are in The playoffs or close to it

Exactly, I was all in for a change once they were out of a playoff spot by that date. I hope they manage to sign one of the available coaches before other clubs suck them up by the off season. (and hoping that one of them may actually want to come here and try and fix this mess) Berube, Gallant, hell, I would be satisfied with Boudreau. We cannot go into another season with Don Granato as head coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, eman said:

Exactly, I was all in for a change once they were out of a playoff spot by that date. I hope they manage to sign one of the available coaches before other clubs suck them up by the off season. (and hoping that one of them may actually want to come here and try and fix this mess) Berube, Gallant, hell, I would be satisfied with Boudreau. We cannot go into another season with Don Granato as head coach.

and I don't say it lightly. Personally, (although I have never met the man) I like Don Granato and was hoping he would be "THE GUY" to lead us out of the darkness. It is plain to me now that he just isn't it. He had enough time and to see the complete regression this season, with the same continuous mistakes being made and lack of accountability, we just cannot continue with him at the helm. I wish him all the best wherever he lands next.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Oh ? Who? I’m curious to see it

Edmonton for one. St. Louis, LA. And maybe the Islanders although currently, they are still on the outside of a playoff spot looking in. The others mentioned are currently in a playoff spot.

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

So how do you do this if the Sabres don't win more than 2 in a row?

You don't and it ain't happening this season.

14 minutes ago, eman said:

Edmonton for one. St. Louis, LA. And maybe the Islanders although currently, they are still on the outside of a playoff spot looking in. The others mentioned are currently in a playoff spot.

Add in Minnesota. They started poorly, made the change, and are 21-13-2 since. They're 2 points back of a wild card (LA being one of the teams they're chasing down).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, eman said:

So the coach was bad? Or the players needed to wake up ?🤔

15 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

So the coach was bad? Or the players needed to wake up ?🤔

All coaches have a "best before date" comes with the deal. Eventually players get too comfortable, the contracts are signed and the money is guaranteed. That is when the GM has to make a change. As the saying goes with coaching "you're hired to be fired". Part of the human condition. Notice how well players perform when they're close to hitting bonus targets or are playing for new contracts? I do believe players tune out their coaches after they have been together for several seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1