GDT / Buffalo Sabres @ Minnasota Wild Sat 5pm MSG, ESPN+ WGR

Shoot da Puck

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I heard Skinners name on one shift at the end of the 2nd.  Thats is.  Of course Dan doesn’t call the game either so there’s that.  

Well its been worse than even that; he's been a net negative for a couple weeks now. He even ran smack dab into Thompson's leg and hobbled him in the 3rd

Pretty even game. Two fast teams, lots of giveaways all over on both sides. They looked like they'd win for being a little more tenacious around the goal but then we finally went to the goal and voila, there it is. OT win as well. Nice. 

I like Cozens on the wing better than at center. I've suggested that for a while and I think it works. That was our best line. 

Neither team is making the playoffs though. 

But I do have to say the tying goal illustrates what's usually missing and why we don't see that sort of net front effort all the time is beyond me. Team seems capable of doing it. Coaches should be demanding it. All game. Not just the final minute. 

• Agree 7

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pretty even game. Two fast teams, lots of giveaways all over on both sides. They looked like they'd win for being a little more tenacious around the goal but then we finally went to the goal and voila, there it is. OT win as well. Nice. 

I like Cozens on the wing better than at center. I've suggested that for a while and I think it works. That was our best line. 

But I do have to say the tying goal illustrates what's usually missing and why we don't see that sort of net front effort all the time is beyond me. Team seems capable of doing it. Coaches should be demanding it. All game. Not just the final minute. 

We’ve been objectively putrid and are what..8 points out? Maybe we do make a run lol 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We’ve been objectively putrid and are what..8 points out? Maybe we do make a run lol 

It seems unlikely. Even with a run, the teams above us are still picking up far too many points. Loser points too. 

The one thing that might come out of this though is them realizing how bad Power has been since Bryson is actually playing better (for now).

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dan... For those listening on radio you gotta bring more than that.

I get radio blackouts for Sabre games so I stream the opposing team when I’m in my truck.  You might enjoy that.  Most opposing teams I’ve found to be quite objective and insightful. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Because we dont have that many types of players... The only ones that I see in front of the net are Greenway and benson consistently, the past few games Okposo is finally doing that also but other than those players I don't see it. Tuch sometimes stand off to the side of the net which to me screams technique/coaching. Teach these guys how to do the little things right, that's on this entire coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Some quick thoughts on this game. UPL gets the first star. He's really been playing well over an extended period of time. It's inarguable that this season has been a big disappointment. But if one of the takeaways of this lost season is that we found our #1 goalie, then that is a major plus. 

As @PerreaultForeverobserved, this was a game between two fast and even teams. A lot of pace to this game. 

And as @Pimlach has pointed out Skinner has faded to the point of being invisible. You can't have that level of inconsequential play from a first line player. 

There clearly were two big plays for the Sabres. One was Greenway in front of the net and furiously digging at the puck when he was at the net. The key to that play was (I believe?) Cozens shooting the puck on net. The other obvious big play was Joki scoring in OT for the win. Joki fought on the boards to get the puck, and then made a no look back pass to Tuch who took it inside for his pretty pass in the slot for Joki's quick shooting score. As was noted on the broadcast, the defender shaded to the flake where JJ was to create space.  

I thought the Sabres played hard throughout the game. As this game illustrated, there is such a small difference in games that determine winning or not. 

Mitts made a well placed shot for his goal. It would be a mistake not to resign him. Tuch is an instrumental player for us. I would love for our GM to pick up another big, fast and gritty player like Tuch in the offseason. 

A win's a win. The players deserve this win. I'm happy for them. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Because we dont have that many types of players... The only ones that I see in front of the net are Greenway and benson consistently, the past few games Okposo is finally doing that also but other than those players I don't see it. Tuch sometimes stand off to the side of the net which to me screams technique/coaching. Teach these guys how to do the little things right, that's on this entire coaching staff.

Tuch standing to the side screams that he is unwilling to me.  Watch on the PP, he stands in front but when the shot is about to be taken he drifts away and gives the goalie a clear view 

god I miss Samson, not only would take a beating but his hand / eye coordination is exceptional 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Seems wrong but I could also be

Take it up with the official NHL stat keepers because Cozens is the goal scorer of record at the moment.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/

Both Greenway and Cozens were digging at the puck. It's difficult to determine who put it in. Both players deserve credit for playing strong in front of the net. 

Difficult as it may be to determine, the NHL has determined that Cozens scored the goal. At least for now.

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Take it up with the official NHL stat keepers because Cozens is the goal scorer of record at the moment.

Difficult as it may be to determine, the NHL has determined that Cozens scored the goal. At least for now.

I really do not care haha

His sweater had a buffalo between two sabres. Good enough for me 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I heard Skinners name on one shift at the end of the 2nd.  Thats is.  Of course Dan doesn’t call the game either so there’s that.  

As the center goes, so goes Skinner.  When Jack (was) and  Tage (is) a threat, so is Skinner.  His D and checking game took major steps forward but have regressed since that “top” line has taken giant steps backward.   With Ralph I think he was judge-mental of the coaching - no idea other than discouragement what’s going on the last month or so. 

47 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Tuch standing to the side screams that he is unwilling to me.  Watch on the PP, he stands in front but when the shot is about to be taken he drifts away and gives the goalie a clear view 

god I miss Samson, not only would take a beating but his hand / eye coordination is exceptional 

I remember Samson to be a lot like you described Tuch.  Drive byes but not standing their ground hence putting Risto in front on ppps.  Nothing against Sam put he didn’t have the strength or bulk to hold his own. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

As the center goes, so goes Skinner.  When Jack (was) and  Tage (is) a threat, so is Skinner.  His D and checking game took major steps forward but have regressed since that “top” line has taken giant steps backward.   With Ralph I think he was judge-mental of the coaching - no idea other than discouragement what’s going on the last month or so. 

That’s a good observation

he’s like a Remora. Feeds off the rebounds created from the bigger shark 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don't think its necessarily unwillingness as much as he's better moving around than standing still.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I see that Cozens was credited with the Greenway goal.

Yeah he sort of stole it at the last second; puck was slowly making its way into the net and Cozens shoved it in with serious force. It likely makes it regardless but after that other wide open net blunder im guessing he wasn't putting it up to any chance.

1 hour ago, Mr Peabody said:

I’ll be thrilled when Skinner and his asinine contract are off the books here. The sooner the better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

I remember Samson to be a lot like you described Tuch.  Drive byes but not standing their ground hence putting Risto in front on ppps.  Nothing against Sam put he didn’t have the strength or bulk to hold his own. 

Sam absolutely stood in front of the net and took punishment consistently wayyyyy more than Tuch has ever done. The vast majority of Reinhart’s goals in Buffalo were of the “garbage” variety. He’s still scoring that way in Florida too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.