The Only Way Anything Changes is a Sale

Flashsabre

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No one would spend what the Sabres would cost to keep them here. 

Probably, but I (selfishly) don't really care if they move as I don't live in the area any more. I just want them to win. 

You never know though. There's rich guys out there with money to burn. Somebody might want a new toy. 

• dislike 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I agree on Power.  I’m not sure I’m there with Dahlin.  He’s pretty much a finished product.   A high risk high reward offensive player that struggles with the basic concepts of defense. 

Do not agree.   There is still a lot of growth there.   He's still a kid 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Probably, but I (selfishly) don't really care if they move as I don't live in the area any more. I just want them to win. 

You never know though. There's rich guys out there with money to burn. Somebody might want a new toy. 

At this point I don't even need a Stanley Cup contender at this point. I would take 93 point season every year for the next 20 years, where we miss the playoffs every season and always come in at the 8 seed. As long as they played a watchable game.

The entire Pegula/Sabres lifecycle has been the Dick Jauron 6-10 season on repeat. Just a bad, boring, unwatchable product with no end in sight. Where as a 6-10 Chan Gailey team or 8-8 Wade Philips team was way more entertaining to watch, cheer for, and talk about. 

This organization couldn’t make Eichel, Reinhart, and ROR work.

3 Stanley Cup appearances and 2 Cup wins among them since they left.  

I know this isn’t breaking news….

But something is really really really wrong here. 

The culture is losing.  That’s the culture we established since the tank.  That’s the culture we’re continuing to foster.  

Adam’s plan is making it worse.  

The objective in the NHL is to win.  The mantra around this group and thus built in excuse to justify jobs for Granato and Adams is “we’re developing.”  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I just posted in this in the GDT. 

There is one guy in the Pegula universe who can tell him to sit down and shut up and that’s Brandon Beane. Rumor has it both him and McD have no meddling clauses in their contacts.

I think if this team sells it leaves Buffalo, which I don’t want at all. So what is the next best option? Get Terry out of the building. 

If Beane has a guy in the Bills FO he thinks can man the ship I’d be open to him taking over as President of the now defunct Pegula Sports. My guess is that his first order of business is identifying a Head of Hockey Ops and staying out of the way to devote most of his time to the Bills. 

It will never happen. But it’s an idea. Just maybe a not a likely or good one. 

As much as I want Terry out I also want the Sabres here. And I’m not confident we can have both. 

The best idea I’ve read today.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No one would spend what the Sabres would cost to keep them here. 

Why not?   Renovate the building.  Fix the entire way the game is produced and marketed in that region.  Build a team the right way.  If they had a great team fans from WNY, Southern Ontario, Rochester, Syracuse would be coming to games and going crazy.  It’s a great market being wasted. 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don’t buy it. 

Doesn’t make any business sense. Correct me if I am wrong, as my argument hinges on this, but hasn’t the value of the Sabres gone UP, considerably, since its last sale? I’d imagine a business-y businessman might look at that sort of business, undergone *even while a team stank to high heaven* and see a whole wack of..what’s the word? Oh ya: business potential.

That the sabres couldn’t get a buyer to keep them in Buffalo is, I’d wager, a boogeyman 

True, the franchise value goes up in Buffalo. But you only realize that profit at its sale. In the meantime the franchise is a black hole with poor attendance and an arena needing hundreds of millions in renovations. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not a lot of billionaires that want an NHL team in Buffalo for a lark. The list is (checking notes) Terry Pegula.

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why not?   Renovate the building.  Fix the entire way the game is produced and marketed in that region.  Build a team the right way.  If they had a great team fans from WNY, Southern Ontario, Rochester, Syracuse would be coming to games and going crazy.  It’s a great market being wasted. 

Why not? Because you'd have to sink another half-billion into a team that'll cost you $600MM. And once successful, what's your profit margin in a market of 1 million? Probably 200 years to break even.

4 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I just don’t understand this thinking hiring unproven GM and way too many coaches that can talk a good game but not get the players fired up to play every night. This whole coaching staff needs to go and we need a proven tough coach and better assistant coaches. The whole culture needs to change. If I owned this team I would be pissed. I would say this is unacceptable and if you like to keep your job then you better put the work in. What gets me is when you have a winning team your revenue and building start filling up. 

It’s not about Adams being unproven It is that Pegula thinks he can trust him. Watch the draft video. Adams is on the phone telling Pegula every single idea running through his head.

Pegula wants  someone he feels he can trust over someone that excels at their job. That is why nothing will change until Pegula is out of the picture

Edited by Flashsabre

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

True, the franchise value goes up in Buffalo. But you only realize that profit at its sale. In the meantime the franchise is a black hole with poor attendance and an arena needing hundreds of millions in renovations. 

Not a lot of billionaires that want an NHL team in Buffalo for a lark. The list is (checking notes) Terry Pegula.

The Buffalo Sabres aren’t moving they will get the public money. Why? Because take a look at Hartford XL Center. Connecticut was stupid they are stuck with the whole bill of renovating and maintenance of the XL Center a money pit with no Hartford Whalers tenant. Buffalo and Erie County are stuck paying either way. It’s better getting a half a loaf of money in a public/private partnership than nothing. Remember you’re paying for renovations and maintenance on Key Bank Center regardless if the Buffalo Sabres leave so that isn’t happening. Buffalo will do Buffalo private/public partnership a half loaf of money from a tenant the Buffalo Sabres is better than nothing. This isn’t the Buffalo Bills situation. Having a viable arena in your city is a must for entertaining residents or no one would want to live in Buffalo area. I could see no Bills over no Arena. This isn’t well Buffalo has a dome in Orchard Park to accommodate concerts and entertainment all year long they don’t it’s another open air stadium. Key Bank Center will be renovated it’s in the heart of Buffalo Canalside that relies on a Key Bank Center bringing people downtown. 

Now Terry Pegula he isn’t selling the NHL is talking going to 36 NHL teams regardless of what they say publicly now that is happening over the next ten years. Atlanta, Houston, Cincinnati and Salt Lake City are happening. Atlanta and Houston huge television markets. Cincinnati brings all of Kentucky a basketball crazy state the NHL wants new NHL fans. So Terry Pegula will collect the expansion checks and do absolutely nothing. Why should Terry Pegula sell the NHL US Expansion of new money is very profitable. The sad thing for Buffalo Sabres fans is that with each NHL expansion it gets harder to make the playoffs much less win a Stanley Cup.

The prospective NHL expansion franchises want no part of an established team that sucks. They want the Vegas Golden Knights and Seattle Kraken route not the lowly Buffalo Sabres with Terry Pegula’s baggage of bad long term contracts. So neither is happening just more suffering until Terry Pegula gets lucky like he did with the Buffalo Bills Josh Allen falling in his lap. It’s going to get a whole lot worse when the NHL adds four more teams in the next 10 years. The Buffalo Sabres could go potentially 20 plus years with no playoffs which is sad but the NHL isn’t a 18 team league anymore. We are looking at a 36 team NHL and the reality is players have lots of options now. If you sit players they will ask out to be traded. The NHL GM’s and head coach have no power anymore they are lead by the players. Rasmus Dahlin gushed over Salt Lake City as a NHL expansion city. Again more money and more options to extend their careers for the players. Unfortunately as Buffalo Sabres fans there really isn’t anything you can do. But one thing I won’t do as a Sabres fan is never blame the Sabres players. The Sabres players aren’t victims there lazy entitled players that refuse to play hard every game. The Sabres need to move on from Sabres players where for whatever reason it isn’t working here so you trade the lazy players recover what you can and move on in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

The entire Pegula/Sabres lifecycle has been the Dick Jauron 6-10 season on repeat. Just a bad, boring, unwatchable product with no end in sight. Where as a 6-10 Chan Gailey team or 8-8 Wade Philips team was way more entertaining to watch, cheer for, and talk about. 

With the exception of last season, they haven't even been as good as the Jauron Bills. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres aren’t moving they will get the public money. Why? Because take a look at Hartford XL Center. Connecticut was stupid they are stuck with the whole bill of renovating and maintenance of the XL Center a money pit with no Hartford Whalers tenant. Buffalo and Erie County are stuck paying either way. It’s better getting a half a loaf of money in a public/private partnership than nothing. Remember you’re paying for renovations and maintenance on Key Bank Center regardless if the Buffalo Sabres leave so that isn’t happening. Buffalo will do Buffalo private/public partnership a half loaf of money from a tenant the Buffalo Sabres is better than nothing. This isn’t the Buffalo Bills situation. Having a viable arena in your city is a must for entertaining residents or no one would want to live in Buffalo area. I could see no Bills over no Arena. This isn’t well Buffalo has a dome in Orchard Park to accommodate concerts and entertainment all year long they don’t it’s another open air stadium. Key Bank Center will be renovated it’s in the heart of Buffalo Canalside that relies on a Key Bank Center bringing people downtown. 

Now Terry Pegula he isn’t selling the NHL is talking going to 36 NHL teams regardless of what they say publicly now that is happening over the next ten years. Atlanta, Houston, Cincinnati and Salt Lake City are happening. Atlanta and Houston huge television markets. Cincinnati brings all of Kentucky a basketball crazy state the NHL wants new NHL fans. So Terry Pegula will collect the expansion checks and do absolutely nothing. Why should Terry Pegula sell the NHL US Expansion of new money is very profitable. The sad thing for Buffalo Sabres fans is that with each NHL expansion it gets harder to make the playoffs much less win a Stanley Cup.

The prospective NHL expansion franchises want no part of an established team that sucks. They want the Vegas Golden Knights and Seattle Kraken route not the lowly Buffalo Sabres with Terry Pegula’s baggage of bad long term contracts. So neither is happening just more suffering until Terry Pegula gets lucky like he did with the Buffalo Bills Josh Allen falling in his lap. It’s going to get a whole lot worse when the NHL adds four more teams in the next 10 years. The Buffalo Sabres could go potentially 20 plus years with no playoffs which is sad but the NHL isn’t a 18 team league anymore. We are looking at a 36 team NHL and the reality is players have lots of options now. If you sit players they will ask out to be traded. The NHL GM’s and head coach have no power anymore they are lead by the players. Rasmus Dahlin gushed over Salt Lake City as a NHL expansion city. Again more money and more options to extend their careers for the players. Unfortunately as Buffalo Sabres fans there really isn’t anything you can do. But one thing I won’t do as a Sabres fan is never blame the Sabres players. The Sabres players aren’t victims there lazy entitled players that refuse to play hard every game. The Sabres need to move on from Sabres players where for whatever reason it isn’t working here so you trade the lazy players recover what you can and move on in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why not? Because you'd have to sink another half-billion into a team that'll cost you $600MM. And once successful, what's your profit margin in a market of 1 million? Probably 200 years to break even.

Not if you get taxpayer money like the Bills did numerous times.  Terry knows how.  Everyone does. 

The market is big enough to sell out every game.  It did it before and it can do it again.  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I agree

So we’re all on the same page, sell means everyone except the top nine forwards, top four defense, Levi, UPL, and all of our prospects. 

It’s ok because our garbage players will still land us a top four dman, number one goalie, and about two middle six forwards who play a physical game.

Besides we could never trade TNT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Mitts, or Power. They’re so good on paper 😂.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No idea if they are hockey fans but they could be.

David Thomson 41.8 billion

Tobi Lutke 9.8 billion

Mark Scheinberg 5.9 billion (tricky since he owns a gambling platform)

Peter Gilgan 3.7 billion

Carlo Fidani 3.2 billion

Barry Zekelman 2.78 billion

Mitchell Goldhar 2.7 billion

Bruce Flatt 2.6 billion

Hal Jackman 2.6 billion

Mark Leonard 2.5 billion

That's 10, but there are more and of course you could add in ownership groups with collective pools of money. All these guys live in Ontario (so they could be hockey fans and they don't own the Leafs, so maybe they'd rather have an Ontario team, but Buffalo could be the next best thing) (google says Pegula has 6.8 billion by the way of comparison and according to Forbes the Sabres are valued at the near bottom at .61 billion which might be viewed as a bargain)

So, far from impossible. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't live anywhere near Buffalo and have only been there once.  I have no connection to the city other than I am a 50 year, near life-long, fan of the Sabres (and, much more recently, the Bills). I don't have a connection to the Sabre "franchise" either.  I don't care who owns the team, how much money they make or how much they could be sold for.  My connection is to the team.  The team I root for is the Buffalo Sabres.  I could never cheer for the Salt Lake City Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I don't live anywhere near Buffalo and have only been there once.  I have no connection to the city other than I am a 50 year, near life-long, fan of the Sabres (and, much more recently, the Bills). I don't have a connection to the Sabre "franchise" either.  I don't care who owns the team, how much money they make or how much they could be sold for.  My connection is to the team.  The team I root for is the Buffalo Sabres.  I could never cheer for the Salt Lake City Sabres.

That's reasonable but for myself I just don't know. If they became the Salt Lake City Sabres (for argument's sake) I think I could and would cheer for them but I can't be sure. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No idea if they are hockey fans but they could be.

David Thomson 41.8 billion

Tobi Lutke 9.8 billion

Mark Scheinberg 5.9 billion (tricky since he owns a gambling platform)

Peter Gilgan 3.7 billion

Carlo Fidani 3.2 billion

Barry Zekelman 2.78 billion

Mitchell Goldhar 2.7 billion

Bruce Flatt 2.6 billion

Hal Jackman 2.6 billion

Mark Leonard 2.5 billion

That's 10, but there are more and of course you could add in ownership groups with collective pools of money. All these guys live in Ontario (so they could be hockey fans and they don't own the Leafs, so maybe they'd rather have an Ontario team, but Buffalo could be the next best thing) (google says Pegula has 6.8 billion by the way of comparison and according to Forbes the Sabres are valued at the near bottom at .61 billion which might be viewed as a bargain)

So, far from impossible. 

They'd move them to Hamilton

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.