New NHL Draft Format Idea

John Gianelli

Instead of having a lottery among the bottom finishers, why not award the first overall pick in the NHL draft to the team that has missed the playoffs for the most consecutive years? There would be little to no incentive for tanking. It could keep teams from ending up in drought limbo, e.g, the Sabres.

Thoughts?

I team as pathetically managed as the Sabres should not be rewarded for its craptastic results. A team that goes out of its way to hire people with no experience in management and coaching should not be rewarded for its craptastic results. Rewarding an owner for all of the above should simply not happen in any professional league.

You’d have teams on the cusp (missed 2-3 years) with good young cores go right back into full-on tank mode as soon as the next McDavid/Bedard was on the horizon. GMs would sell their owners on the long-term success for just a few years of suffering.

Specifically for the Sabres, I’m not sure another #1 18 year-old in the lineup is the answer.

4 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Instead of having a lottery among the bottom finishers, why not award the first overall pick in the NHL draft to the team that has missed the playoffs for the most consecutive years? There would be little to no incentive for tanking. It could keep teams from ending up in drought limbo, e.g, the Sabres.

Thoughts?

John Gianelli?  Do you come to the board with $79M ($15M updated for inflation) for our best poster?  Do I need to boycott KFC again?  And do you plan to move SDS's server to San Diego?

Edited by Marvin
More silliness
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

John Gianelli?  Do you come to the board with $79M ($15M updated for inflation) for our best poster?  Do I need to boycott KFC again?  And do you plan to move SDS's server to San Diego?

Wasn’t it John Y Brown who swapped the Braves for the Celtics?  Wasn’t it the former Celtics owner who moved the Braves to SD?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I actually differ and think the old worst goes first with no lottery was fine. I don't really care if some teams want to "tank". Have at it. As Torts said "tanking is asinine". But if some teams want to do it and ruin their fan bases that's their own problem. Free to do what you want why not? Teams trying to out tank each other for a Bedard would be kind of funny. 

Really the bottom third of the league has never been very relevant and the existence of perennial bottom feeders is why Europeans created relegation for their "football" . North America prefers wild cards and leagues where almost everyone makes the playoffs but crap franchises are still crap franchises and so let them "tank" all they want imo. It's asinine. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The most successful professional league in the world doesn't have a draft lottery.

This one got me wondering. People always like to comment on how soccer is the most popular in the world. So I was very surprised when I looked up the ranking of leagues’ revenue. The US really does dominate things. 

On 2/7/2024 at 4:51 PM, pi2000 said:

The most successful professional league in the world doesn't have a draft lottery.

True, but they have larger rosters and 1st overall QBs often fail.  

That said, I agree about getting rid of the draft lottery.  Who cares if a team tanks!  It hasn't exactly helped the Sabres or really the Oilers until they got McJesus.  Even the Oilers aren't true contenders IMHO.

Just look at us and the Sens.  Incompetent management and ownership lead to terrible results on the ice, even with top draft picks.  Det, who was in the same spot as the Sabres, has good ownership and hires Yzerman, and bam their back in the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.