GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres 4 pm MSG radio 550 am

bob_sauve28

6 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I had enough of this garbage.  There season is done. The unintentional tank is on. Going for a top 5 pick and a lot of firings. We all know that won't happen and if will be deja vue next year and we will work on 15 years no playoffs.  I don't think I have ever disliked a Sabres team as much as this one

The Krueger teams were worse 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Fix the damn power play. All friggin year they’ve rarely if ever made a change. Matt friggin Ellis ain’t getting it done. The Canucks had multiple players in UPLs grill all game. The Sabres don’t even have anyone in front on the PP. Change the coach.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

A very anger inducing game between our players getting headshot, our PP getting a few chances but generally looking bad and their ***** goalie standing on his head in every case we had a solid chance.

I agree with Dan that you can’t exactly fault their effort. I can however still be angry and dissatisfied with the result.

They generated very little all game and almost nothing in the 3rd, if you trust the advanced stats 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

Poor cozens. I love him but my goodness he just is fighting it everywhere. 

Cozens shooting percentages.....

Cozens rookie year...6.5% 

Cozens 2nd year...8.1% 

Cozens this year overall....6.8%

Cozens SINCE Quinn came back this year and he is back with his 'linemates'....6.7%

Cozens last year....14.7%

Apparently he got paid $7m per year based on one season...that looks like he is not coming close to repeating.  He is a guy that gets 180-200 shots per year, if, IF he turns out to be a 6.5-7% shooter, that means he is a 13-16 goal per year guy. 

There was some magic pixie dust sprinkled on this entire team last year...I really HOPE I am wrong, but all evidence I see is that he is much closer to that 7% shooting guy than he is teh 14% guy....and that is very worrying.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

A very anger inducing game between our players getting headshot, our PP getting a few chances but generally looking bad and their ***** goalie standing on his head in every case we had a solid chance.

I agree with Dan that you can’t exactly fault their effort. I can however still be angry and dissatisfied with the result.

Sure the effort was there to stay in the game.  But were is the effort to get the crowd involved, get the first goal, to take a lead?  I mean a home game effort where we actually have the advantage.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Cozens 2nd year...8.1% 

Cozens this year overal....6.8%

Cozens SINCE Quinn came back this year and he is back with his 'linemates'....6.7%

Apparently he got paid $7m per year based on one season...that looks like he is not coming close to repeating.  He is a guy that gets 180-200 shots per year, if, IF he turns out to be a 6.5-7% shooter, that means he is a 13-16 goal per year guy. 

There was some magic pixie dust sprinkled on this entire team last year...I really HOPE I am wrong, but all evidence I see is that he is much closer to that 7% shooting guy than he is teh 14% guy....and that is very worrying.

Yep, very JAGGY this year. Hope he's still "a guy that wants to be here".

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Sure the effort was there to stay in the game.  But were is the effort to get the crowd involved, get the first goal, to take a lead?  I mean a home game effort where we actually have the advantage.  

The Canucks are a better team than us and employed strategies which, after being instituted by a skilled coach and a worthy roster of depth and talent, prevented us from performing in the required manner 

it looks like effort because their equal effort is wielded by superior tools

And yes, jt miller is a tool 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

Fix the damn power play. All friggin year they’ve rarely if ever made a change. Matt friggin Ellis ainMt getting it done. The Canucks had multiple players in UPLs grill all game. The Sabres don’t even have anyone in front on the PP. Change the coach.

I'm not saying it wouldn't help, but they had a couple good looks.  The biggest difference I see this year from last year? Thompson was filling the net a LOT more last year with those one timers last year than he is this year.  

Last year at this time Thompson had 13 PP goals, this year he has 3. He is getting the looks, his one timers are getting through, they just aren't going in for him....that isn't coaching (unless your point is they relied on his one timers too much last year and should have had a better scheme last year).

The Sabres are at 13.9% this year on the PP. Do nothing other than have Thompson make up those 10 goals difference he had last year to this year and you are at 22.1%....close to a top 10 pp in the league.

Just now, Pimlach said:

A large portion of the crowd was attempting to do the wave w/ 10 minutes to go in 1-0 game.  I struggle to understand.  

1 minute ago, Getpucksdeep said:

A large portion of the crowd was attempting to do the wave w/ 10 minutes to go in 1-0 game.  I struggle to understand.  

LMAO! They were trying to do this in winnipeg too the other day when I was at the game. 1-0 chicago, late 3rd. So oddly timed. Of course, the Jets won in regulation haha  

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

They control if they want to run us, we control if we are intimidated.    Don’t think the Sabres are, which is good. 

Now let’s get a PPG and turn this around. 

Hoping for a Sabres power play goal (especially this season) won't get it done. Canucks played a sound road game. Matt Ellis should have been fired weeks ago and Don Granato likewise. Unfortunately, no intestinal fortitude or interest in this organization from its owner will allow this mess to fester.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The Canucks are a better team than us and employed strategies which, after being instituted by a skilled coach and a worthy roster of depth and talent, prevented us from performing in the required manner 

it looks like effort because their equal effort is wielded by superior tools

And yes, jt miller is a tool 

Last year they finished 8 points below Buffalo.  They have essentially the same roster.  Is the difference Tochet as coach?  

A team like Vancouver is exactly why I don’t want to blow this team up.  Sure we need a few pieces, but the coaching staff is the place to make the big changes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Cozens 2nd year...8.1% 

Cozens this year overal....6.8%

Have to think Shooting is one skill EVERY player can improve… It requires focus, presence, commitment…

Would like to know how Granato emphasizes Shooting Drills, Individual and Group Video instruction, in his practices… or does he leave it to the individual player to work on his own??… Would like to know how he measures and rewards a player’s improvement… Something is amiss.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Krueger teams were worse 

To be fair................(as they like to say on Letterkenny)

Kreuger's win percentage was .433

Housley's .421

and Disco Dan Bylsma's a whopping .485

Don Granato this year is ,476

so one could argue that we have made absolutely no progress at all. In fact, we may be doing less with more as I think you could say this roster has far more talent on it than Kreuger's had. Certainly more than Disco Dan had. 

It wasn't a horrible effort today. In some ways it was pretty good and I liked the push back but Johnson shouldn't have had to be the pay back guy and idk what Power tried to do. I like the spirit, but he showed everyone why he struggles at times at the NHL level. He's just not very strong, as he ended up with that weird looking leg lock on Miller. Payback should be coming from the bigger forwards, especially when you're already down 2 D. 

Samuelsson is made of glass. 

I like Benson's game. I do not like Thompson's game. Quinn was next to invisible today, and I'm starting to think Cozens has vision problems. 

All in all though I think the game demonstrated that it is in fact coaching. Vancouver strikes me as a team with less talent than we have. Certainly not more, but unlike in past years they are playing a well structured system and fairly disciplined hockey. They are hard to break through, block the lanes, and have rigid defensive layers. They function as a unit. To some extent, you could say they are playing Bylsma hockey, and it's working. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

It's called fun. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Bored 

Also that

10 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Lots of kids were there, they had to find a way to entertain them at a boring game. They thought they were at a soccer match.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Last year they finished 8 points below Buffalo.  They have essentially the same roster.  Is the difference Tochet as coach?  

A team like Vancouver is exactly why I don’t want to blow this team up.  Sure we need a few pieces, but the coaching staff is the place to make the big changes.  

It could end up coming down to the coach, but I still think Granato would be performing better without such a neglectful offseason from Adams. It comes back to that for me because it undercuts Granato’s efforts and also leads into your question about Torts. It’s probably a lot that, but also a reflection of they fact we realistically overachieved last season because all those careers years happening at the same time clearly isn’t something we can expect with anything close to consistency. Offseason should have reflected that.

No, it’s not that the additions in and of themselves make up the gap between between the way our top guys performed this year vs last: they make up a bit of the gap, and but theoretically help drive the performance of the current core to a better outcome that we’ve seen thus far. A few changes can go a long way. 

Maybe some of it does come back to just purely needing an uptick from the core. But just because we need that too doesn’t mean we also don’t need them to be supported. We actually needed to IMPROVE from last year.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.