Filip Cederqvist to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for future considerations

LGR4GM

17 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I am not going to say that i know every prospect we have and how good they are. I do know that we have way more prospects with abilities to play in the NHL then we will have room on the roster for. Not to mention that almost all of them seem to be from the same mold. Skilled offensive players with little or no forechecking ability/defensive ability, and grit. Sabres have a long history of getting rid of players that a "Heavier" game. Our current roster although "Slightly" heavier, still needs a bit more. Time for KA to move some capital for a "Heavy" power forward, and a "Heavy" defensive dman. That is 100% what this team needs. If they got both of those, the difference would be huge in the team playing ability. 

This isn't true. But hey, it fits the narrative here. Lots of silly hand wringing about losing a 23yr old AHL guy who will be in the Allsvenskan next year. 

Simply because he was tall.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't true. But hey, it fits the narrative here. Lots of silly hand wringing about losing a 23yr old AHL guy who will be in the Allsvenskan next year. 

It is true.... i am not talking about this guy...LOL He was not going to make the team. I am talking about the actual prospects in our system that can be NHL ready. They are mostly all Skilled offensive players with little or no forechecking ability/defensive ability, and grit.

22 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

It is true.... i am not talking about this guy...LOL He was not going to make the team. I am talking about the actual prospects in our system that can be NHL ready. They are mostly all Skilled offensive players with little or no forechecking ability/defensive ability, and grit.

No they aren't. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Ok will take your word for it..... like i said i do not know all the prospects. Are any of them what this team needs right now?

Strbak is for sure on defense. In the forward group, maybe. I think Östlund needs strength but his game is 200ft. Kulich has grit but it's primarily in the ozone.

Rosen and Savoie I'm not sold on. 

Just now, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Ok will take your word for it..... like i said i do not know all the prospects. Are any of them what this team needs right now?

I’m fairly current with the prospects.  Out of the kids in Rochester, Rosen & Kulich are obviously at the top.  Kulich is somewhere between Tage and Olofsson.  Not sure how that’ll play out but he’s got a knack for scoring big goals.  Rosen reminds me a little of Peterka.  Great skater, good shot, good playmaker.  Not a lot of jam but not afraid to go into dirty areas.  

Novikov & Metsa are their only D prospects.  Metsa is an offense first type of D.  Severely undersized.  Bryson type.  Novikov is acquitting himself quite well in Rochester. Probably another season away but he’s big, 6’4” - 6’5”.  He’s not offensively challenged.  Think a more offensive, more physical Samuelsson.  

Matthew Savoie is obviously undersized but is tenacious and could carve out a third line role.  Noah Östlund will definitely compete for a 3rd line role when he arrives in North America.  Not huge but doesn’t play small.  

I think the remaining prospects are long shots to make the NHL.  Some size and grit in the later rounds but there is a reason they went late.  The Sabres can and hopefully will shore up the bottom of the roster at the deadline (if they are buyers).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

Not really sold that besides scorers, any of them are what i was thinking this team really needs. Need a physical defensive dman that can clear the front of the net, not stick check them to death. Need that tenacious heavier forward that can forecheck, drive the net and not be pushed around. (In other words, that is his NORMAL way of playing) 

If Thompson is out, Kulich is the one i want to see with the callout. Put him in the top 6 and lets see if he can do it in the NHL.

54 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m fairly current with the prospects.  Out of the kids in Rochester, Rosen & Kulich are obviously at the top.  Kulich is somewhere between Tage and Olofsson.  Not sure how that’ll play out but he’s got a knack for scoring big goals.  Rosen reminds me a little of Peterka.  Great skater, good shot, good playmaker.  Not a lot of jam but not afraid to go into dirty areas.  

Novikov & Metsa are their only D prospects.  Metsa is an offense first type of D.  Severely undersized.  Bryson type.  Novikov is acquitting himself quite well in Rochester. Probably another season away but he’s big, 6’4” - 6’5”.  He’s not offensively challenged.  Think a more offensive, more physical Samuelsson.  

Matthew Savoie is obviously undersized but is tenacious and could carve out a third line role.  Noah Östlund will definitely compete for a 3rd line role when he arrives in North America.  Not huge but doesn’t play small.  

I think the remaining prospects are long shots to make the NHL.  Some size and grit in the later rounds but there is a reason they went late.  The Sabres can and hopefully will shore up the bottom of the roster at the deadline (if they are buyers).  

Novikov is underrated and I am very hopeful for him. Strbak is someone else I would toss out. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Novikov is underrated and I am very hopeful for him. Strbak is someone else I would toss out. 

I didn’t want to comment on Strbak as I only know him by name.  Saw the highlights from the WJT.  Could be a good one but we may be waiting a couple seasons. 

55 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Not really sold that besides scorers, any of them are what i was thinking this team really needs. Need a physical defensive dman that can clear the front of the net, not stick check them to death. Need that tenacious heavier forward that can forecheck, drive the net and not be pushed around. (In other words, that is his NORMAL way of playing) 

If Thompson is out, Kulich is the one i want to see with the callout. Put him in the top 6 and lets see if he can do it in the NHL.

I hear ya but the coaching staff was terrified to give him quality minutes.  I don’t think that was all on them.  Kulich and Rosen definitely played with trepidation during their call ups.  It may be until next season before they get quality looks.  As much as people don’t want to hear it, Olofsson or Jost may be the best replacements, at least for now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

1.) Speaking of false narratives, there is literally no hand-wringing in this thread about the loss of Cederqvist as an individual. 

2.) I wholly agree with you that it is not the case that our top-prospects are entirely skilled offensive players with little or no forechecking ability/defensive ability/and grit.  Indeed, most of our top forward prospects, with Kulich being the exception maybe, have shown a good to strong two-way acumen. None seem afraid to forecheck when playing at their current appropriate level.  It is true that none are full on "bangers", but none are solely offensive minded, perimeter players who are fearful of going to tough areas.  What they will be at the NHL level is not yet known.

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

I hear ya but the coaching staff was terrified to give him quality minutes.  I don’t think that was all on them.  Kulich and Rosen definitely played with trepidation during their call ups.  It may be until next season before they get quality looks.  As much as people don’t want to hear it, Olofsson or Jost may be the best replacements, at least for now. 

Not what i wanted to hear....LOL

The current group of prospects fit Granato's fast break system where there's very little emphasis on defending or playing a physical brand of hockey.   Bigger more physical players must be able to skate and move the puck, ala Eric Robinson.

12 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

So, like say, Ristolainen and Reinhart?   🙂

Wish they had a Vezina goalie too. That would be awesome. 

And maybe a true heavyweight on the 4th line to keep the opposition honest. A Nic DesLauriers type. And a third/fourth line grinder like say a Marcus Foligno. 

If only we could get 5 guys just like those, we'd be all set. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Strbak is for sure on defense. In the forward group, maybe. I think Östlund needs strength but his game is 200ft. Kulich has grit but it's primarily in the ozone.

Rosen and Savoie I'm not sold on. 

High upside I can see him being our Peter forsberg and making one of Cozens/Casey/TNT expendable in 2 years.

22 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Which means Caseys next contract should be max. 2year. IF he isn't traded at deadline.

Nah you give him a decent contract , but also a value deal.  Besides I doubt Casey is being 1st to be moved after this year.  Cozens looks like a more likely candidate.

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Nah you give him a decent contract , but also a value deal.  Besides I doubt Casey is being 1st to be moved after this year.  Cozens looks like a more likely candidate.

What's with the stupid obsession with trading Cozens this year? Mind you, its not just you.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.