Sabres practice 1/8

Doohickie

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

TBH if Greenway's still sick I wouldn't mind seeing KO in his spot.  The speed of Mitts and Benson would cover for him, and he's still got some wily veteran skills.

VO is such a different kind of player from Greenway I'd rather they not if there is an option to throw a guy in there who will go to the net.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Did I mis something? Didn’t they announce that Okposo would be out for a while?

That's what I was thinking.

If he is better and Greenway is still ill, these line combinations could work.  I had left Okposo for dead, like many on this board, but he's picked up the scoring of late and might do well with those linemates.  The 4th line played well in Pittsburgh with Robinson-Krebs-Girgensons, so I think it makes sense to keep that group together for at least one more game.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Did I mis something? Didn’t they announce that Okposo would be out for a while?

Week to week.  Last week was a different week I guess?  There's a difference between practicing and playing too.

Just because you're on IR doesn't mean you can't practice with the team.  Some injuries require working out with the team as part of the rehab.  Also, they said he was out week-to-week but I think they're still within the roster limit if he gets activated (23 man roster- the players who played last game plus Lil J, Okie, VO).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Trade both Greenway and Olofsson.

They should not trade Greenway.  He's the Sabres' best penalty killing forward and might be their best defensive forward on a team that severely lacks them.  He's also, along with Tage Thompson, the Sabres' largest forward on a team that lacks size at the forward position.  The Sabres' top prospects:  Kulich, Rosen, Savoie are all smaller forwards (as is their top forward prospect already on the roster, Benson).  He's got a unique skillset that the team needs.  I've advocated for keeping Olofsson in the past, as natural goal scorers with a big shot don't grow on trees, but his all-around game is lacking, so I could live with him being dealt.  I'm not sure his value in the market is all that great, given his high salary, so maybe keep him as a depth piece until his contract runs out. 

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I've advocated for keeping Olofsson in the past, as natural goal scorers with a big shot don't grow on trees, but his all-around game is lacking, so I could live with him being dealt.  I'm not sure his value in the market is all that great, given his high salary, so maybe keep him as a depth piece until his contract runs out. 

I think Olofsson has made a concerted effort to round out his game and you can see it when he plays, but my impression is that, to Kevyn, it's too little, too late and the Sabres ready to move on.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Olofsson has made a concerted effort to round out his game and you can see it when he plays, but my impression is that, to Kevyn, it's too little, too late and the Sabres ready to move on.

That was mentioned in an article that I think was in Buffalo Hockey Beat.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

He's also, along with Tage Thompson, the Sabres' largest forward on a team that lacks size at the forward position.  The Sabres' top prospects:  Kulich, Rosen, Savoie are all smaller forwards (as is their top forward prospect already on the roster, Benson). 

Tage Thomspon 6'6" 220, Greenway 6'6" 231, Alex Tuch 6'4" 218, Cozenz 6'3" 195, Mitts 6'1" 196, Okposo 6' 218, JJP 6' 190, Quinn 6'1" 185, Eric Robinson 6'2" 201. Krebs 6' 187, Zemgus is 6'2" 201: The Sabres do not lack size, they lack grit and determination to impose themselves on other teams. They rank 4th overall in height and 6th overall in weight. 

Jiri Kulich is 6'1" 185lbs, he's almost the exact average height and weight of an NHL forward. Rosen and Savoie are definitely smaller. Don't tell Benson he is small, he might just strip the puck and shield you off anyways cuz honey badger don't care. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tage Thomspon 6'6" 220, Greenway 6'6" 231, Alex Tuch 6'4" 218, Cozenz 6'3" 195, Mitts 6'1" 196, Okposo 6' 218, JJP 6' 190, Quinn 6'1" 185, Eric Robinson 6'2" 201. Krebs 6' 187, Zemgus is 6'2" 201: The Sabres do not lack size, they lack grit and determination to impose themselves on other teams. They rank 4th overall in height and 6th overall in weight. 

Jiri Kulich is 6'1" 185lbs, he's almost the exact average height and weight of an NHL forward. Rosen and Savoie are definitely smaller. Don't tell Benson he is small, he might just strip the puck and shield you off anyways cuz honey badger don't care. 

He plays like he is the biggest dude on the team 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Trade both Greenway and Olofsson.

If you don’t recognize that Greenway is our best PKer and best defensive forward, I don’t know what to tell ya.  The Sabres need more guys like him, not less.  

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree that grit is lacking more than size.  Benson has lots of grit, but he's small.  Tuch has good size.  Cozens is a skinny as a rail, but may fill out a little bit as he gets older.  The other guys you mention are not small players, but are about average.  Thompson and Greenway are giants and that kind of exceptional size is rare.  So I revise my initial statement to say that Greenway has rare size that's hard to come by and is of value to the team.  It appears that it's of value to Vancouver as well, who is currently in first place and is rumored to be pursuing Greenway. 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:38 AM, Doohickie said:

TBH if Greenway's still sick I wouldn't mind seeing KO in his spot.  The speed of Mitts and Benson would cover for him, and he's still got some wily veteran skills.

Agreed, hes very direct (pucks on net, pucks behind net), pretty solid on the walls, will stand up for the kid.  

On 1/8/2024 at 1:19 PM, Doohickie said:

He isn't a pp weapon, hes honestly more of a liability there as teams pressure him into the walls.  He isn't a good skater.  He's present more now in the backcheck and forecheck, but he isn't a 200ft player by any means.  Isn't taking pucks away on the walls. 

What i think he has improved is his passing.  He seems to get the puck off his stick a bit quicker than in the past.  He can still shoot, but hes very streaky.  

I think when you have guys like skinner, thompson, and quinn - he is no longer a PP asset, and is more of a sunk cost in the even strength game by comparison. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.