Ranking: Why we suck this year

JoeSchmoe

Here's my ranking. It's almost like everything that could go wrong did. The only bright spots were Mittelstadt, Peterka, and Benson. Skinner gets a conditional pass as well, since his linemates appear to have packed it in.

1. Thompson's a lot worse and seems disinterested

2. Our 5 and 6 D are a lot worse

3. KA didn't get a #1 goaltender, and kept Comrie and UPL on the roster

4. Cozens is a lot worse

5. Tuch is worse

6. Samuelson is worse

7. Dahlin's effort is suspect most nights

8. Power hasn't improved at all, especially defensively 

9. Quinn has been hurt

10. Krebs is likely not an NHL of any significance but still plays a lot 

11. Granato won't play Ryan Johnson despite him being at worst our #5 D.

12. VO and our backlog of offense prospects failed to get moved for defensive help.

13. We still give a roster spot to brain-dead ZG.

14. Big guys like Greenway, Robinson, and Power play like 🐱

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

25 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Here's my ranking. It's almost like everything that could go wrong did. The only bright spots were Mittelstadt, Peterka, and Benson. Skinner gets a conditional pass as well, since his linemates appear to have packed it in.

1. Thompson's a lot worse and seems disinterested

2. Our 5 and 6 D are a lot worse

3. KA didn't get a #1 goaltender, and kept Comrie and UPL on the roster

4. Cozens is a lot worse

5. Tuch is worse

6. Samuelson is worse

7. Dahlin's effort is suspect most nights

8. Power hasn't improved at all, especially defensively 

9. Quinn has been hurt

10. Krebs is likely not an NHL of any significance but still plays a lot 

11. Granato won't play Ryan Johnson despite him being at worst our #5 D.

12. VO and our backlog of offense prospects failed to get moved for defensive help.

13. We still give a roster spot to brain-dead ZG.

14. Big guys like Greenway, Robinson, and Power play like 🐱

Disagree with number 7. The guy tries to put the team on his back when trailing late in the third, consistently.

He’s tied for the lead in goals scored by defenseman league wide.

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The ***** it is. Dahlin's one of the only consistent and good players on this hell bound garbage barge.

He's been pretty darn lackadaisical on the breakout all year and PP zone entries have been a nightmare. His defense was for sure better last year. Getting sucked in behind the net on the PK was pretty Sunday League. I didn't say he was bad because he's still our best player but he's playing pretty uninspired hockey.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Personally, I stopped here. I guess you can somehow observe this and run with it… but to attack someone like Tage & his professionalism is a hard stop towards meaningful conversation.  

Last year at this point he was in the conversation for MVP. Where would he be in MVP voting now?

1 hour ago, Hawerchuk said:

I'd add #15. Cheap bastard Terry Pegula refusing to hire a Hockey Operations guy or President of Hockey Ops. Whatever you want to call it, he's failed spectacularly at this. What did Pat Lafontaine do to be banished is beyond me?

Disagreed with Pegula simple as that. I think it's obvious Pat had his own vision and wasn't going to work with an intervening owner. So basically he said "no" and that was that. Bring on the stream of yes men. I mean the minute JBot said "no" out the door he went as well. 

2 hours ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I am not selling you my season tickets for $2

Nice try though 

Okay how about a buck fifty then? I will go as low as a dollar. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He was injured for a month and came back early. And he’s disinterested?

23-24 he hasn't looked much different post-injury as pre-injury.

Last year he was a big part of this team leading the league in scoring for a large part of the season. He's currently at 19pts in 26 games. That drop-off in offense is a killer. 

It'd be one thing if he was trying and failing... But it seems he's not even attempting those plays where all 6'6" of him would blow around (and through) defenses.

What happened to his highlight reel hands?

The shot's still there, but he doesn't seem to have the will to get in the positions to get it off as much. 

Among many, many faults on this year's team, his drop off in play has hurt us most.

I think the main issue is Granato tried changing them into something they're not and now they're all in their heads. I would love Berube or Gallant to whip them into gear but I'm not sure if we could land either of them, plus is this group even considering letting Granato go? If not they could be shell shocked by the end of the season. If we get another Granato type of HC I think we're screwed, we need a proven HC. 

Here is my Mount Rushmore of worst problems.

1. Adams. and everything that comes with it. 
2. Granato. Peaked with a bad roster.
3. Power. Part of this is on Adams
4. Cozens.  I said it. Thompson has a bit less offense as 2C he had to take a step. Not stumble back.
5. Also Adams. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

I'd add #15. Cheap bastard Terry Pegula refusing to hire a Hockey Operations guy or President of Hockey Ops. Whatever you want to call it, he's failed spectacularly at this. What did Pat Lafontaine do to be banished is beyond me?

He quit.   He wasn’t banished.  Next question, why did he quit?  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The ***** it is. Dahlin's one of the only consistent and good players on this hell bound garbage barge.

Him diving to block shots at our empty net in a lost cause may have been a bit reckless but unbelievable effort.  Surprising anyone would question that of all things.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Officially. But did he? Exit packages along with letters of resignation and NDAs are not exactly a new thing. 

Him and Pegula did not see eye to eye that is obvious. The rest is just details.

He quit.  They traded Rayan Miller when he was out of town.  Patty wanted to keep Miller and a few vets during the rebuild that turned full tank.  That was not agreed upon by the bloated Pegula organization.  

Terry liked the trade offer, Murray (the GM) made the trade.  A Pegula strap-hanger named Joe Batista told then coach Ted Nolan.  Teddy told Pat.   

Pat quit, he was supposed to be running hockey ops, he wanted control of a move like that. 

He has not been around since.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Seems like Sabremetrix just jumped in with some additional shade on Dahlin.

Again, the talent is there. The urgency isn't, especially coming out of his own end.

I know the NHL TOI leaders are all 25 min a night, but I still think that’s too much.  The Sabres struck out adding prior defensive depth in the offseason and here we are. 

39 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Seems like Sabremetrix just jumped in with some additional shade on Dahlin.

Again, the talent is there. The urgency isn't, especially coming out of his own end.

No doubt defensive lapses seem higher this year than last for Rasmus. Offensively the talent is never in question.  But that Sabre Metrix tweet should be shamed for using a plus/minus stat.  Not irrelevant but I trust my own observation that Power specifically has been fortunate that most of his turnovers or listless play in his own zone have not been converted. For me,  The regression of Power ranks higher than the regression of Dahlin.  

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He quit.  They traded Rayan Miller when he was out of town.  Patty wanted to keep Miller and a few vets during the rebuild that turned full tank.  That was not agreed upon by the bloated Pegula organization.  

Terry liked the trade offer, Murray (the GM) made the trade.  A Pegula strap-hanger named Joe Batista told then coach Ted Nolan.  Teddy told Pat.   

Pat quit, he was supposed to be running hockey ops, he wanted control of a move like that. 

He has not been around since.  

Thanks for the details which confirm what I said. He and Pegula did not see eye to eye. Patty didn't want to work for an owner who meddled. 

To the original point though, it IS the moment the franchise goes south and stays there. Patty put a voodoo hex on it maybe. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.