Ranking: Why we suck this year

JoeSchmoe

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You are cherry picking the games though. We beat Boston once, but lost to them twice. Colorado and the Rangers have also beaten us. We have losses to Philly and Pittsburgh and Carolina and New Jersey and a host of others. Some of them we've also beaten but overall we lose more than win and there's only a handful of good games where we were the better team by far. 

I looked it up we have won 2 games in a row ONCE this year. October 29 against Colorado followed by Philly on Nov 1. It was a Halloween miracle. 

You can keep talking about "how we finished up last year" but I tell you it was an illusion. A few teams we beat near the end had depleted rosters, a few took us lightly. We played some good games, but we were not all that good. Not that different from how we started this year. 

This might shock you but Krueger's points percentage in 2019 was actually better than Granato's is now. Bylsma's was better in both his years. Ruff, Ruff only had us below .500 in one bad season. The rest were all good and some VERY good. Floyd Smith of course gave us our best numbers for obvious reasons.

Do you remember when the bar for acceptable was much higher? Sator got replaced because he wasn't high enough above .500 and Dudley got axed the minute he dipped below. 

Granato is below .500 and with him it's "patience".  F that. 

There is no need to continue going back and forth because we have an irreconcilable fundamental difference about this team and roster. There is no question that it is not a complete roster with upgrade needs. (I'm sure we agree on that basic issue.) Where I disagree with you is that I do believe that this current roster has enough talent to be a bottom qualifying playoff team. (I'm confident that you disagree with that assessment.) As I said in prior posts, I'm disappointed up to now in how this team has played, especially in contrast to the end of last season. You dismiss the importance of last year's end of season play while I don't. 

Am I optimistic how the rest of the season will play out? Not so much, but not given up just yet. We'll just have to see how the rest of the season plays out. You say absolutely not in our prospect to get back into the playoff race while I say, maybe. 

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

pretending we didn't need a real NHL goalie

pretending we adding quality Dmen

that's a start 

Botching goaltending is a biggie. No question. Rebuilds should always be goalie first. UPL and Levi should be competing for the back up spot to a decent veteran. 

For D men, as soon as we knew we'd be drafting Power he should have done whatever it takes to get a reliable experienced mentor to play beside him for at least a few years. Slapping the kid in as your #2 D man is just ridiculous and stunts his growth and development. 

While I think the cost of Johnson and Clifton is an overpay it was probably the only way he could get them. I actually have no problem with them, but they are bottom end guys. Expecting them to be more is the problem. Clifton was 7th D in Boston. I still think on a team that plays a proper defensive system he'd be fine as a bottom end guy but in this non system system he's lost. Johnson is an old guy who should have been expected to give you 40 games not 82 as a reliable fill in 7th D and occasional middle minutes guy if injuries dictate that. That's all. He's old. 

KA failed to fill the holes on the roster.

Granato has failed to teach this team to play proper defense.

Both need to go.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is no need to continue going back and forth because we have an irreconcilable fundamental difference about this team and roster. There is no question that it is not a complete roster with upgrade needs. (I'm sure we agree on that basic issue.) Where I disagree with you is that I do believe that this current roster has enough talent to be a bottom qualifying playoff team. (I'm confident that you disagree with that assessment.) As I said in prior posts, I'm disappointed up to now in how this team has played, especially in contrast to the end of last season. You dismiss the importance of last year's end of season play while I don't. 

Am I optimistic how the rest of the season will play out? Not so much, but not given up just yet. We'll just have to see how the rest of the season plays out. You say absolutely not in our prospect to get back into the playoff race while I say, maybe. 

Enough talent yes. Enough grit and fortitude no. 

Also, a complete systemic failure in terms of team defense. You will NEVER win in the playoffs without those things no matter how much talent you have. 

As for this year, oh man, making the playoffs was over about a month ago. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also, a complete systemic failure in terms of team defense. You will NEVER win in the playoffs without those things no matter how much talent you have. 

There’s more that goes into “talent” beyond sick snipes and dangles. Ability to play defence isn’t just systemic, 2 way ability is a talent. Knowing when to exert pressure is a talent. Goaltending ability is a talent. Goalie is a position on the roster like any other. We might have enough of one type of talent, the obvious/most used connotation of “talent”. But no, I don’t think the roster’s overall talent, the overall hockey aptitude that should be inclusive of, is playoff worthy.

we are what our record says it is. It’s reflective of our roster 

We, in fact, lack talent on our roster league relative this season. We aren’t a well built team that doesn’t try.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence. The GM needs to get the right mix. It's not there right now. 

As far as your last sentence about giving up on the season, I'm not there yet.  

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

There’s more that goes into “talent” beyond sick snipes and dangles. Ability to play defence isn’t just systemic, 2 way ability is a talent. Knowing when to exert pressure is a talent. Goaltending ability is a talent. Goalie is a position on the roster like any other. We might have enough of one type of talent, the obvious/most used connotation of “talent”. But no, I don’t think the roster’s overall talent, the overall hockey aptitude that should be inclusive of, is playoff worthy.

we are what our record says it is. It’s reflective of our roster 

We, in fact, lack talent on our roster league relative this season. We aren’t a well built team that doesn’t try.

Correct, but that's also where teaching young players comes in. Look at what Risto said about Torts. He has coaches showing him his flaws and he's improved after all these years. Young players come in and we just toss them into top roles and say go do your thing. learn on the job. It's moronic. 

When I talk about talent I'm thinking mostly skating and offensive skill. Those things they bring. Or at least if they bring it there's hope. But they have to learn to play proper D and correct their flaws. AHL time helps, but you have to teach them when down there. Our development program is garbage. 

I think we agree that the flaws of this team are multitude. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence. The GM needs to get the right mix. It's not there right now. 

As far as your last sentence about giving up on the season, I'm not there yet.  

I would like to admire your resolve, but I can't help but laugh (nothing personal).

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.