Buffalo things that hold no meaning for you

Doohickie

4 hours ago, Spoonman said:

@#freejame thank you ....More for the rest of us! 

Charlie the Butcher off Wehrle by airport is a stop when I am in Buffalo! 

image.png.592bcf560a4447bceb7a23a9b4387c64.png

I like Schwabl's in West Seneca.  Close to my mom's house.

20374618_1357063717675848_8107429519323840893_n.thumb.jpg.357560bd75f0bc5750e6a870c5c05b09.jpg

Speaking of mom....

20431722_1357063751009178_2179405450660967510_n.thumb.jpg.98dc303814d12bcf29178d8b2673f11f.jpg

The guy with us is Frank, mom's mate for the last 20+ years.  They do pretty good for 92 and 87.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mango said:

Maybe I just don’t eat enough hot dogs? I’ve lived in 4 states and never bought the local hot dog and thought, “wow trash”.

In regards to Wawa, that’s more a comparison to chains. In any mid/major city I’ll take a neighborhood bodega over any chain 7 days per week. But compared to Stewart’s they might as well be Wegmans. 

Lived in SoCal for almost 27 years and there is NOTHING close to a Sahlen. I literally have neighbors who ask me to bring a 3 lb bag back after I visit the family. We used to serve them for parties and the parents would rave about them.  Especially served with webers mustard and Teds hot sauce.  But with my kids in high school and the shear volume of kids over for a party, coupled with the inflationary cost of a 3 lb bag,  N.F.W.  they are getting their hands on my f-ing Sahlen hot dog 🌭 .  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I like Schwabl's in West Seneca.  Close to my mom's house.

20374618_1357063717675848_8107429519323840893_n.thumb.jpg.357560bd75f0bc5750e6a870c5c05b09.jpg

Speaking of mom....

20431722_1357063751009178_2179405450660967510_n.thumb.jpg.98dc303814d12bcf29178d8b2673f11f.jpg

The guy with us is Frank, mom's mate for the last 20+ years.  They do pretty good for 92 and 87.

Lot's of good places for Beef on Weck in Buffalo.  Schwabl's is the best IMHO.

• Agree 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, Mango said:

I came into this thread thinking that this thread was going to go a totally different direction and talk about some of the stuff that Buffalo hypes but feels silly. I came prepared to answer a question nobody asked me, so here it goes. 

Tim Hortons- Their coffee stinks. I have never missed it.
Sahlens hot dogs- Don't get me wrong, I love Ted's. But when it comes to brands a lot of regions have their local purveyor and most taste pretty similar. 

As not to pile on Buffalo, I live in the capital region now. 

Stewarts - If K-Mart were a gas station it would be Stewarts. People who hype Stewarts have never been to a Wawa (The Wegmans of gas stations/corner stores)

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Re: Stewarts 

I’m a WNY transplant also in the Capital Region of NY and I can’t make sense of the veneration for Stewart’s. It’s a gas station. Outside of their own ice cream, there’s nothing special about a Stewart’s.  You can’t even get a sandwich there that isn’t a day old and wrapped in plastic. 

Mr. Yuck.

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Question for the Buffalo Expats, how often do you come back to visit? 

Two to three times a year.  But I’m only a 4 hour drive. 

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Perry's ice cream

When we were there, my dad took us to an ice cream shop on Genesee St right by the Airport. His favorite Black Cherry. Good Times. Thanks for reminder @Buffalonill!!

I would add that wayyyy pre-Paula's (which I have had), Sundays going to my Grandma's often included a dozen Dunkin Donuts. Back then it was the best in my young life (doughnut holes later added to the order),. Faves were vanilla or chocolate cream, cake, & peanut stick (back in pre-peanut allergy times*) . Brings back memories at Grandmas: hearing the airplanes taking off from BUF airport, playing gin rummy, her killing ants with boiling water (her Amdro, and much cheaper/environmental), fresh lettuce from her garden with some sugar on it, Sunday nights after dinner everyone watching Wild Kingdom, Disney, Murder She Wrote....  

Getting over to our collective Sabres fandom:

Ordering pizza and Dad making wings, then watching Sabres as a family, with my sister going Pavlovian on Danny Gare 

Personally, I remember me  on my top bunk with my white earpiece on my transistor radio listening to RJ call a West Coast game, until I fell asleep....

Note on Tickets: (I saw him at an out of town Sabres fan get together, and he was so cool.  I told him about my sister's crush back in the day, and he wrote a note to her on my "credentials" ticket that he is available if she ever leaves her husband, and he took a pic. I was able to package as a Christmas gift for her, which was fun.

*We were not allergic because we licked cold metal during winter, and ate dirt....https://www.mic.com/articles/125970/when-the-hell-did-everyone-become-allergic-to-peanuts

image.png.7b197884383eb296957d352ad8bb9cce.png 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Every few years. I was last there visiting the last time the patsies beat us in the 3 pass hurricane game. I was actually up there 2x that year, and was able to see Bills beat fish, and Sabres game, then back for the hurricane game. I hope to get back to his a last game at the Ralph, and then "find a way" to hit the new stadium (can we nickname it something Buffalo related?)

I have to say that to me it was Rich Stadium for so long, then it somehow became the Ralph, New Era, Highmark (back to the Ralph?). I find this particularly humorous as. Bills Fans for many years did not have a great fondness for Mr. Wilson, given his team's fortunes....younger fans don't have that history.... and no one I know wants to nickname off of Highmark (The Mark?). Anyhow....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Every few years. I was last there visiting the last time the patsies beat us in the 3 pass hurricane game. I was actually up there 2x that year, and was able to see Bills beat fish, and Sabres game, then back for the hurricane game. I hope to get back to his a last game at the Ralph, and then "find a way" to hit the new stadium (can we nickname it something Buffalo related?)

I have to say that to me it was Rich Stadium for so long, then it somehow became the Ralph, New Era, Highmark (back to the Ralph?). I find this particularly humorous as. Bills Fans for many years did not have a great fondness for Mr. Wilson, given his team's fortunes....younger fans don't have that history.... and no one I know wants to nickname off of Highmark (The Mark?). Anyhow....

Have heard it referred to as the Giant Bedpan.  That's probably a tribute to the medical corridor downtown or to ECMC which is located not too far from the stadium, right?  😟

(Can't be because it kinda looks like a giant bedpan in stadium renderings.)  🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have heard it referred to as the Giant Bedpan.  That's probably a tribute to the medical corridor downtown or to ECMC which is located not too far from the stadium, right?  😟

(Can't be because it kinda looks like a giant bedpan in stadium renderings.)  🤣

So, funny, I called the old cows stadium in Irving, TX "God's urinal" - because of the hole in the roof, and also because I despise the cows since Tom Landry was fired. While never a fan, and I hate Tex Schram's "America's Team" BS (but is worked). Adding... I cannot stand the Dallas twinkles, since 1999 "no goal review". 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

Yeah, this wasn’t a thing 20+ years ago.  That being said, I also don’t remember even having a choice.  

That's why it wasn't a thing:  It was automatically blue cheese.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Once a year if I'm lucky.  But with my mom's advanced years, I spend most of the time with her and not that much time out and about.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

When I was single it was twice a year, or more. In my late 30s and 40’s it was once a year at most.  One of my sons has autism and travel from West to East was challenging when he was young.  Plus my parents both retired early so they spent all of December and January with us so I didn’t feel I was missing anything.  When I turned 50 and my Dad hit 80, it changed back to 3 times a year.  The oldest with autism is now a Senior in high school and he’s mostly taking life skills classes so for the last three years we go back for 10 days during October.  Sabres games in person a must, plus wanted to show him the fall foliage of western NY, which is a season we don’t have in California and he loves. Another trip in the spring, which brings more games.  Then another trip in the summer where the wife and other son will come as well. My wife is from Laguna Beach so she can do summers in the 716.  Not so much the winters. In the 26+ seasons I’ve been out here I’ve seen Buffalo play at least once (Anaheim, LA, PHX or San Jose) per year but it’s been great seeing them play 2-3 home games per year the last 4 (excluding Covid). 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Lived in SoCal for almost 27 years and there is NOTHING close to a Sahlen. I literally have neighbors who ask me to bring a 3 lb bag back after I visit the family. We used to serve them for parties and the parents would rave about them.  Especially served with webers mustard and Teds hot sauce.  But with my kids in high school and the shear volume of kids over for a party, coupled with the inflationary cost of a 3 lb bag,  N.F.W.  they are getting their hands on my f-ing Sahlen hot dog 🌭 .  

Oh, Webers is the truth. I’m definitely not knocking that.

15 hours ago, centralparkhockey said:

Re: Stewarts 

I’m a WNY transplant also in the Capital Region of NY and I can’t make sense of the veneration for Stewart’s. It’s a gas station. Outside of their own ice cream, there’s nothing special about a Stewart’s.  You can’t even get a sandwich there that isn’t a day old and wrapped in plastic. 

Mr. Yuck.

Two to three times a year.  But I’m only a 4 hour drive. 

And their gas is always more expensive. 

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

If we’re talking WNY in general, it’s anywhere from 2 to 6 times a year. If it’s Buffalo proper, about once a year. Wish it was more.

1 hour ago, atoq said:

The highways were the failure that killed much larger portions of downtown.

“The 190” is an abomination. Robert Moses was a jerkoff.

The Skyway might be even worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, atoq said:

The highways were the failure that killed much larger portions of downtown.

Highways and interstates ruined the look of the waterfront.  They actually made it easier to get downtown but the location of some of them is just wrong aesthetically.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.