Call Ups??

WhenWillItEnd66

This team is going to need a serious injection of some scoring. Biron had a great idea about calling the Rochester scoring line up as a whole and let them play together as they already have some chemistry. Waiting until tomorrow is freaking stupid. This team needs to start being proactive instead of reactive. It is sounding like Tuch is not close and neither is Bensen. We cannot keep the status quo or we are going to dig a deep hole. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I suggested calling up Mersch.  He is a career AHL vet who is a pt a game player in the AHL but isn’t playing much because of the AHL vet rules.  

Why not give him a try and see if he can inject a spark into the bottom six.

He doesn’t have a contract. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I suggested calling up Mersch.  He is a career AHL vet who is a pt a game player in the AHL but isn’t playing much because of the AHL vet rules.  

Not playing much? He’s like the top player in the team, the captain, and gets as much ice time as anyone. 

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

He doesn’t have a contract. 

4 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Not playing much? He’s like the top player in the team, the captain, and gets as much ice time as anyone. 

He has only played 6 games and the Sabres would have to purchase his contract, but we have plenty of cap and extra contract space to get if done.

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He has only played 6 games and the Sabres would have to purchase his contract, but we have plenty of cap and extra contract space to get if done.

Perhaps he's only played in 6 games because he's out injured just like 7 other Amerks have been out.  That's what it says on the Amerks website.

51 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

This team is going to need a serious injection of some scoring. Biron had a great idea about calling the Rochester scoring line up as a whole and let them play together as they already have some chemistry. Waiting until tomorrow is freaking stupid. This team needs to start being proactive instead of reactive. It is sounding like Tuch is not close and neither is Bensen. We cannot keep the status quo or we are going to dig a deep hole. 

Even if there was room on the roster, this would be more of a gimmick than helpful. 

The answer to the Sabres immediate problems is not in Rochester. 

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I still don't know where you got this "purchase his contract" thing from.  They're free to sign him at any point and it voids out the AHL deal.  There's no purchasing necessary.  Colorado just did it this week.

But regardless, rewarding a guy with very limited playing time so far would be a very strange move.  That won't help anyone but Mersch.

50 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We need solid role players in the bottom 6 and as I understand it, we don't have any in Rochester. We don't have any anywhere. 

In my opinion, the Sabres should be signing those AAAA type players to play in Rochester and challenge the bottom 6. The Sabres sign zero players like this. There’s basically no competition at all. Biro and Rousek are nice players, but they’re a dime a dozen players at the NHL level. 

Appert says they intentionally don’t sign too many (any?) veteran players so as to not block the prospects. I think you have room for both. Why was Justin Richards signed? He offers nothing. He’s a mediocre AHL player that barely moves the needle even in Rochester. That contract could’ve been given to a player that could’ve pushed for a bottom 6 spot. 

The Sabres just don’t act like an NHL team enough. They’re too comfortable with the players they have. 

Edited by Amerks8796
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

In my opinion, the Sabres should be signing those AAAA type players to play in Rochester and challenge the bottom 6. The Sabres sign zero players like this. There’s basically no competition at all. Biro and Rousek are nice players, but they’re a dime a dozen players at the NHL level. 

Appert says they intentionally don’t sign too many (any?) veteran players so as to not block the prospects. I think you have room for both. Why was Justin Richards signed? He offers nothing. He’s a mediocre AHL player that barely moves the needle even in Rochester. That contract could’ve been given to a player that could’ve pushed for a bottom 6 spot. 

The Sabres just don’t act like an NHL team enough. They’re too comfortable with the players they have. 

Ya I don't buy this block the prospects thing. Aren't you supposed to provide competition and make the road more of a struggle they have to fight through and earn their spots? Isn't that part of development as well. Not to mention veteran leadership. I don't understand their whole approach, and it's definitely not what other teams do. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Love his heart and chutzpah, but Mersch can’t skate for crap at the AHL level so no, let him stay in the A.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

We need solid role players in the bottom 6 and as I understand it, we don't have any in Rochester. We don't have any anywhere. 

We have a few very young hot shots in Kulich and Rosen.  We have a few possibilities down the road with some rawer players in Rochester.  

We have tried Murray, he is a big guy, steady but he looks slow in the NHL.  Biro and Rousek have had looks.  

10 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We're supposed to have the deepest prospect pool in hockey and can't figure this out? This team LOL

Adams doesn't trade them or block them so far. 

If he cant do the deal a big deal in the off season, imagine him trying now.  He has said numerous times that teams ask for too much, which they really would at this time.  He also has been thwarted by the NMC.    So I think  a trade just before the deadline is more likely.  Lets hope we are adding at that time.  

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We have a few very young hot shots in Kulich and Rosen.  We have a few possibilities down the road with some rawer players in Rochester.  

We have tried Murray, he is a big guy, steady but he looks slow in the NHL.  Biro and Rousek have had looks.  

Kulich and Rosen aren't bottom end role players. They are top end prospects. I'm not 100% sure about Kulich but Rosen would be absolutely useless lined up against 4th liners and the usual physicality they bring. 

Murray is a big nothing. He doesn't use his size so he's useless at the NHL level.

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kulich and Rosen aren't bottom end role players. They are top end prospects. I'm not 100% sure about Kulich but Rosen would be absolutely useless lined up against 4th liners and the usual physicality they bring. 

Murray is a big nothing. He doesn't use his size so he's useless at the NHL level.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much help as replacements for the 4th line down in Ra-cha-cha.  Would be nice to see them bring at least a line's worth each summer so that if there are injuries to that line or guys aren't getting done there's a plan B for them as well.  Thing is, those type of guys are a lot easier to find than high end skill is to find.  Whether it be via FA or trade, that is something that should be obtainable.

No, don't know why they don't already have someone to fill that role.  Would seem to have been a fairly easy add.  (And, really haven't watched any Amerks this year.  Inky, K9, or one of the others here that are watching the Amerks regularly know better whether they do have somebody for that role already that people just haven't been talking about.)

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much help as replacements for the 4th line down in Ra-cha-cha.  Would be nice to see them bring at least a line's worth each summer so that if there are injuries to that line or guys aren't getting done there's a plan B for them as well.  Thing is, those type of guys are a lot easier to find than high end skill is to find.  Whether it be via FA or trade, that is something that should be obtainable.

No, don't know why they don't already have someone to fill that role.  Would seem to have been a fairly easy add.  (And, really haven't watched any Amerks this year.  Inky, K9, or one of the others here that are watching the Amerks regularly know better whether they do have somebody for that role already that people just haven't been talking about.)

They are easier to find but for some reason we don't want them (TP) . There have been guys waived this year that are better than what we have. Steen on Boston's 4th line for example has been waived twice. There's lots of options if you want to go find them. KA doesn't cause Terry don't like that type of hockey. This is the conclusion I have come to. Nothing else makes sense as KA knows better inside. His own personal experience as a player is right there as an example. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They are easier to find but for some reason we don't want them (TP) . There have been guys waived this year that are better than what we have. Steen on Boston's 4th line for example has been waived twice. There's lots of options if you want to go find them. KA doesn't cause Terry don't like that type of hockey. This is the conclusion I have come to. Nothing else makes sense as KA knows better inside. His own personal experience as a player is right there as an example. 

That's possible.  Not sure it's correct but it seems plausible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.