DOES ADAMS GET A GOALIE NOW?!

JoeSchmoe

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Bills has a 5% chance of making the playoffs

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Sabres why do you keep bringing it up?  Also, Levi’s excellent play late last year has nothing to do with this season.  His numbers in the NHL this season aren’t good.  He has a 3.32 and a .889.  These are below-average numbers and being a backup isn’t in his or the team’s best interest.  He needs to play regularly.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Sabres why do you jeep bringing it up?  Also Levi’s excellent play late last year has nothing to do with this season.  His numbers in the NHL this season aren’t good.  He has a 3.32 and a .889.  These are below average numbers and being a back-up isn’t in his or the team’s best jnteredt.  He needs to play regularly.

I bring it up because you repeatedly say that there is little chance to salvage the season. You believe so, I don't. The point about the Bills is obvious as it applies to the Sabres. We are a little past the halfway mark. I believe there is time for the Sabres to get into the race. You seem not do believe so. 

What message would you be sending to Dahlin, Tuch and the rest of the players if you ship out one of your better goalies for a lesser goalie. That makes no sense to me. You either are committed to winning or you are not. If the organization isn't fully invested in the season, then it should get out of the hockey business. If they do what you are recommending regarding sending Levi down to the AHL, it will bring more shame to an organization whose reputation is already pitiful. 

• dislike 1

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I bring it up because you repeatedly say that there is little chance to salvage the season. You believe so, I don't. The point about the Bills is obvious as it applies to the Sabres. We are a little past the halfway mark. I believe there is time for the Sabres to get into the race. You seem not do believe so. 

What message would you be sending to Dahlin, Tuch and the rest of the players if you ship out one of your better goalies for a lesser goalie. That makes no sense to me. You either are committed to winning or you are not. If the organization isn't fully invested in the season, then it should get out of the hockey business. If they do what you are recommending regarding sending Levi down to the AHL, it will bring more shame to an organization whose reputation is already pitiful. 

This is a very strained comparison.  The Bills have demonstrated the ability to hang with the best in the league consistently, and internal struggles put them in a situation that required winning out to make the playoffs.  But they had demonstrated the ability to dominate consistently beforehand.  The Sabres need a very similar end of season performance and have never demonstrated the ability to pit on a run of dominance.

Sometimes optimism is a fools errand.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

This is a very strained comparison.  The Bills have demonstrated the ability to hang with the best in the league consistently, and internal struggles put them in a situation that required winning out to make the playoffs.  But they had demonstrated the ability to dominate consistently beforehand.  The Sabres need a very similar end of season performance and have never demonstrated the ability to pit on a run of dominance.

Sometimes optimism is a fools errand.

The Sabres did indeed finish last season with a flourish. It wasn't dominance but it was a demonstration that they can play good hockey for an extended period of time. As I have already said to @GASabresIUFAN and you, if you want to throw in the towel now, then go ahead and do so. You and he both miss my central point that I have been making i.e. do everything within reason to win now. By sending a player like Levi down to be replaced by Comrie or whoever, a lesser player, the organization is sending a message to the other players and the battered fans that they are not committed to winning. 

You are mistaken if you believe that I am blinded by fanciful optimism. I'm not.  The issue for me is the obligation of competing to the best of your ability. If it is not good enough, then so be it. But at least do your best and show that winning is important to you. The era of tanking and folding should be over for this woebegone franchise. We have already gone through that ugly process. We are at a different stage now. If you are going to lose, at least do it with integrity. 

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

By sending a player like Levi down to be replaced by Comrie or whoever, a lesser player, the organization is sending a message to the other players and the battered fans that they are not committed to winning. 

Sending a player down who isn't fully NHL ready is not sending the wrong message.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  There is a justifiable argument that Levi is better than Comrie, however, if we are no longer doing a 50/50 or even 60/40 split between UPL and Levi, then having Comrie as a backup for limited games is not an issue.  Remember sending Levi down, doesn't prevent the Sabres from recalling him for spot starts.

PS they already have sent numerous messages that they weren't interested in winning.  They didn't upgrade the top 4 D .  They didn't bring in a veteran goalie in case the inexperienced goalies failed. They didn't upgrade the bottom of the forward group.  They didn't upgrade the roster when the injuries hit for the 2nd season in a row.  Sending Levi down won't change what everyone already knows; KA was not serious about winning this season.  As I've said before, compare what KA has done with what Van's GM has done.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sending a player down who isn't fully NHL ready is not sending the wrong message.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  There is a justifiable argument that Levi is better than Comrie, however, if we are no longer doing a 50/50 or even 60/40 split between UPL and Levi, then having Comrie as a backup for limited games is not an issue.  Remember sending Levi down, doesn't prevent the Sabres from recalling him for spot starts.

Even if UPL is the #1 goalie that doesn't mean that Levi won't get opportunities to play as a backup. I simply don't believe that KA is going to exchange Comrie for Levi on this roster. That would make no sense especially considering that he has already made a decision to send Comrie down and keep Levi with the big club. I see no merit in repeatedly subjecting Levi to going back and forth from Rocester to Buffalo. That makes no sense to me. 

We both are going back and forth on this issue. We'll just have to wait and see how this issue is handled by the GM. The underlying issue for me is the importance of keeping your best players on the roster. It shouldn't be much of a debate that Levi is better than Comrie. 

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres did indeed finish last season with a flourish. It wasn't dominance but it was a demonstration that they can play good hockey for an extended period of time.

Flourish is relative.  They played better, and still stumbled when things got interesting. They have not shown anything resembling tenacity, and they have put themselves in a deep enoigh hole thst actual dominance is the requirement at this point.

Im not advocating Comrie for Levi.  I am lamenting no outside help.  It will definitely affect our ability to become dominant for this last half.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m with John here. Levi has shown he can be very good with a workload closer to what he is accustomed to. I know the obvious response would be that playing in the AHL will better indoctrinate him to a more strenuous workload but I disagree and as John stated, if Levi playing every fourth game instead of Comrie is better for the team, then it’s gotta be Levi whether you think the season is done or not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Maybe there is a hybrid solution to what everyone is discussing here. You keep Levi with the big club, he practices with the team, he gets a spot start every now and then.

IF UPL goes on a run where he plays three, four, or five games in a row and Levi doesn't get a chance to play, then you send him down to Rochester with orders to give him two games on a weekend.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m with John here. Levi has shown he can be very good with a workload closer to what he is accustomed to. I know the obvious response would be that playing in the AHL will better indoctrinate him to a more strenuous workload but I disagree and as John stated, if Levi playing every fourth game instead of Comrie is better for the team, then it’s gotta be Levi whether you think the season is done or not.

The point I have been attempting to make is that although Levi might be a backup, that doesn't mean that playing intermittently and practicing with the big club will impede his development. On the contrary, playing with NHL players will enhance it. But the more important issue for me (as you noted) is Levi on the roster makes this a better team as opposed to having Comrie on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sending Levi to Rochester is what serious organizations focused on winning do. He's been bad in Buffalo this year. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The point I have been attempting to make is that although Levi might be a backup, that doesn't mean that playing intermittently and practicing with the big club will impede his development. On the contrary, playing with NHL players will enhance it. But the more important issue for me (as you noted) is Levi on the roster makes this a better team as opposed to having Comrie on the roster. 

Not really, no. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

No he hasn't. I like Levi but anyone defending his overall play this season is delusional, he's been bad in every game but like 6. He needs consistent starts in Rochester. Adams ***** up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Sending Levi to Rochester is what serious organizations focused on winning do. He's been bad in Buffalo this year. 

Not really, no. 

We just disagree. I don't know how anyone can conclude that Comrie would be a better option than Levi as a backup goalie for the Sabres. It comes down to: different eyes have different visions. That's okay.  

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We just disagree. I don't know how anyone can conclude that Comrie would be a better option than Levi as a backup goalie for the Sabres. It comes down to: different eyes have different visions. That's okay.  

No it doesn't. It comes down to Levi being terrible over the last month and instead of getting starts and development, starting every 4th game and looking like flaming trash. 

So either way that 4th Sabres game gets trash goaltending except now, Levi doesn't get game reps because he plays once every 10 days. 

You're shortsighted in this and I'm not inclined to both sides that. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Just now, LGR4GM said:

No it doesn't. It comes down to Levi being terrible over the last month and instead of getting starts and development, starting every 4th game and looking like flaming trash. 

So either way that 4th Sabres game gets trash goaltending except now, Levi doesn't get game reps because he plays once every 10 days. 

You're shortsighted in this and I'm inclined to both sides that. 

Do you know who is in net today? I didn't see it announced in the game thread? 

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you know who is in net today? I didn't see it announced in the game thread? 

It doesn't matter because what I said is still true. I am using the word true because correct isn't the correct word. 

Levi's last start was against Seattle where he was bad, that was 8 days ago. The Sabres have played 3 games since then and all of them went to UPL. So if they do give Levi the start we have about 8 days in between starts and sure enough it is 1 game out of 4. 

Send Levi to Rochester, everything else is just stupid. This season is probably lost already and if they do not send him now they might ruin the next season for the whole team. I hope KA finds a a veteran to back up UPL next season and Levi is rockin' in Rochester, but what if UPL gets injured and the backup did not work out like planned? The time he should get in Rochester now could be important then. Cause next year has to be the year!!!

If Levi stays up, we definitely know who the goalies are next season 

if he gets sent down, I would think Adams *has* to bring in a competent backup for next year or it’s a “fool me twice” situation 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It doesn't matter because what I said is still true. I am using the word true because correct isn't the correct word. 

Levi's last start was against Seattle where he was bad, that was 8 days ago. The Sabres have played 3 games since then and all of them went to UPL. So if they do give Levi the start we have about 8 days in between starts and sure enough it is 1 game out of 4. 

We are all well aware that everything you say is true. So, it is not necessary to toot your horn. When a person is as omniscient as you obvious are, you've earned the right to boast. I humbly genuflect to your overwhelming wisdom that is bestowed upon us peasants. You are a shining light in the darkness. 

• Haha (+1) 4

Just now, JohnC said:

We are all well aware that everything you say is true. So, it is not necessary to toot your horn. When a person is as omniscient as you obvious are, you've earned the right to boast. I humbly genuflect to your overwhelming wisdom that is bestowed upon us peasants. You are a shining light in the darkness. 

Live look at Liger 

113416CA-0288-48A8-BDFE-EEF3C0E6CC6D.webp.b8758941dcb4179e4ff65ad930009b1f.webp

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe there is a hybrid solution to what everyone is discussing here. You keep Levi with the big club, he practices with the team, he gets a spot start every now and then.

IF UPL goes on a run where he plays three, four, or five games in a row and Levi doesn't get a chance to play, then you send him down to Rochester with orders to give him two games on a weekend.

Said that in the back and forth with Brawndo.  IF UPL is going to get 4-5 in a row, bump Levi down to Ra-cha-cha on Amerk game nights and bring Comrie up to back up UPL and flip them back after Levi got his work in.

Just have to realize eventually Comrie will have to pass through waivers again if it becomes a regular occurance.

Can we send Levi down now?  UPL has earned the net with back to back shutouts (granted against the 2 worst teams in the NHL).  How does sitting on the bench in the NHL help Levi or the Sabres.  Comrie or some other scrub can sit on the bench just as easily Levi.  The beauty of it is that Levi may find his game in Rochester and if UPL falters, Levi can always be recalled.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Can we send Levi down now?  UPL has earned the net with back to back shutouts (granted against the 2 worst teams in the NHL).  How does sitting on the bench in the NHL help Levi or the Sabres.  Comrie or some other scrub can sit on the bench just as easily Levi.  The beauty of it is that Levi may find his game in Rochester and if UPL falters, Levi can always be recalled.

My understanding is that Comrie is out of options. In the attempt to bring him up there is a chance that he can be claimed. UPL is on a good run. However, he is vulnerable to getting injured (as all goalies are). Stay the course. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.