Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Adams, whatever it takes, get this team an Adam Lowry. Do that and I am pretty sure we are talking playoffs.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n268986

Yes please 

It seems everyone in the universe including Jupiter knows that the Sabres have lacked overall toughness and grit for 12 years 

But somehow 

Someway 

NONE of the past/current Sabres management team recognizes this 

Tragic 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

And the loss to Florida maybe doesn't look as bad as they are winning 9-1 right now half way through the 3rd against Tampa.

Exactly...and St Louis have been on a heck of a roll. I get all the doom and gloom as this has been a very disappointing year but losing to these teams is hardly a horrible thing.

3 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Exactly...and St Louis have been on a heck of a roll. I get all the doom and gloom as this has been a very disappointing year but losing to these teams is hardly a horrible thing.

The coming week will show, after next week there should be four wins in a row. After that they will meet seven playoff teams... They have to win two thirds of those teams.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No we aren't. This team needs 71.4% of their remaining points to get to 94pts with a chance of the playoffs. This wouldn't move the needle. 

Hey long time no argue with. Good to hear from you again.

I need to clarify. I didn't mean THIS season. This season is too late. I meant for the future going forward. I'm already in the mode of thinking what we need to do to have a chance next year. Have been for quite a while actually. 

Lowry is a game changing leader. He's not the best player on the ice, but he leads by example, plays the right way, and he can shift the flow and the dynamic of a game by himself on any shift. 

When we drafted him I thought Cozens might develop more in that direction but he's not that guy and never will be. We don't have that guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hey long time no argue with. Good to hear from you again.

I need to clarify. I didn't mean THIS season. This season is too late. I meant for the future going forward. I'm already in the mode of thinking what we need to do to have a chance next year. Have been for quite a while actually. 

Lowry is a game changing leader. He's not the best player on the ice, but he leads by example, plays the right way, and he can shift the flow and the dynamic of a game by himself on any shift. 

When we drafted him I thought Cozens might develop more in that direction but he's not that guy and never will be. We don't have that guy. 

Lowry was the right pick for captain. He centers one of the best 3rd lines in the league and is an excellent PKer. He has squared off with Reaves twice and hasn't come out with a loss yet. What I really like about him is he brings it in the playoffs. 

He is signed for 3.25m for two more seasons after this one.

• Like (+1) 1

Doubt we can get Lowry...and we had Marcus who is everybit as good but let him go. Clearly KA does not think we need muscle just as Carolina does not believe in that. I was quite sick of fighting with two 4th line nobodys who you knew would fight but now when there is a fight it is spontaneous and very exciting to be honest. A good fight now can change the momentum of a game. And I do believe that other players play bigger knowing you have a couple of heavyweights to answer the call if need be. It is silly to expect Dylan Cozens to be that guy. He is not built heavy enough and he is a good hockey player too boot, so we need him ON the ice not OFF. I do not want Reeves who brings nothing at all to the table but muscle either.  

Oh I was watching Vancouver and Winnepeg and what a game. They were runnign each other and fights and it was GREAT! MInd you Vancouver thoughth they could run the Peg but actually it seemed to wake up the Jets and they played well and won.

Meanwhile, Mathews gets another hat trick. It is absurd how he is scoring.  Does anybody (other then the Leaf fans) actually think or believe they wil even win one playoff series with their horrible defense and goaltending???

I still do not believe KA wil make any changes (like adding muslce or a vet)...he thinks to highly of himself and thinks he has assembled the perfect team apparently...

Edited by sabrefanday1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:58 AM, LGR4GM said:

No we aren't. This team needs 71.4% of their remaining points to get to 94pts with a chance of the playoffs. This wouldn't move the needle. 

Lowry can score, is tough in corners and decent passer... this team really could use him.

Cannot believe Mathews is at 49 goals already. Living up here north of Toronto al I hear is how goo dhe and the leafs are. Hard to stomach especially with the Sabres doing so poorly (loved when we smoked them 9-3 there). I use to drive down with my son several times a year to watch the Sabres but have lost interest in them to be honest. Hard year after year hearing the good old "always next year" a few months into the new season. 

Had to laugh at the crazy Vancouver game where Minesota beat them 10-7. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Cannot believe Mathews is at 49 goals already. Living up here north of Toronto al I hear is how goo dhe and the leafs are. Hard to stomach especially with the Sabres doing so poorly (loved when we smoked them 9-3 there). I use to drive down with my son several times a year to watch the Sabres but have lost interest in them to be honest. Hard year after year hearing the good old "always next year" a few months into the new season. 

Had to laugh at the crazy Vancouver game where Minesota beat them 10-7. 

Oh well At least we get to watch them choke in the playoffs every year  they call from matthews head

And repeat every year

48 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Watched him play 4 years in North Bay. Big frame, good hands but struggled with skating. 61 goals in 68 games his last year of junior but had to go the ECHL the next year.

Has worked his way up and stayed with it, nice to see. He grew up two hours north of here.

Edited by French Collection

28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Watched him play 4 years in North Bay. Big frame, good hands but struggled with skating. 61 goals in 68 games his last year of junior but had to go the ECHL the next year.

Has worked his way up and stayed with it, nice to see. He grew up two hours north of here.

He is slow, I saw that. It's his weakness for sure. I doubt he's anything more than a temp fix there and he's a career AHL guy but I just like the whole story. It's total feel good and I cannot remember when we had a story like that in Buffalo. 

You'd think we'd be beating the bushes looking for guys out there but we don't. 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Whoa didnt know you were in North Bay area... did a bunch of canoeing north of there as a teenager... spent my summers on Georgian Bay at folks cottage half hour north of Parry Sound

Edited by North Buffalo

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Whoa didnt know you were in North Bay area... did a bunch of canoeing north of there as a teenager... spent my summers on Georgian Bay at folks cottage half hour north of Parry Sound

Oh that's so weird to read. I know there are a LOT of cottages up there in reality but a good friend of mine's older sister had a cottage half hour north of Parry Sound and we had some very decadent parties up there in my youth. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess you did not see the debut of the Rangers giant on the 4th line the other day? He is like 6'7' and fought right away and did not look too bad. Mind you we have had guys look great for a game or two then morph into the stereo-typical Sabre player...over-paid and no hunger which is sad. No one can convince me that our lineup is not as talented as most in the NHL. This is not a talent issue. There are many players that were given up on that are now playing well with many other teams in the NHL. 

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Gorgeous area for canoeing.

Parry Sound has hundreds of cottages on islands, many of them owned by American families that have been going there for a long time. I haven’t spent much leisure time there but have worked many storms restoring power to the islands via submarine cable.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He is slow, I saw that. It's his weakness for sure. I doubt he's anything more than a temp fix there and he's a career AHL guy but I just like the whole story. It's total feel good and I cannot remember when we had a story like that in Buffalo. 

You'd think we'd be beating the bushes looking for guys out there but we don't. 

We have him, he’s Brett Murray

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Gorgeous area for canoeing.

Parry Sound has hundreds of cottages on islands, many of them owned by American families that have been going there for a long time. I haven’t spent much leisure time there but have worked many storms restoring power to the islands via submarine cable.

My folks sold there's in 2004... just resold for just under 1 mil... I miss it but live too far. Up near Franklin Island across from Adanac... great view of Minks and McKoy Islands from our front porch.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I could speculate but that might be deemed irresponsible.  

I got a speech impediment from taking statins for so long.  Same thing happened to my mother and one of my sisters, so they changed medicines.  I am looking into it too.  At his age, it could be that simple.