Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

56 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Leafs lost 6-3 to Ottawa last night. They are only one point ahead of the Sabres for the 8th spot in the conference with the same number of games played.

Stringing a few wins together here would do wonders for everyone’s morale.

Same points, they’ve played one less game 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, unless he decides to hold out. Sabres get Nylandered. I can see it happening. 

I’m not sure why it would be any more likely the happen with Mitts than any other soon to be RFA.  In fact the situations are pretty dissimilar and I think it’s pretty unlikely that holding out would ever make sense for Mittelstadt.

If Mitts really just wanted to maximize his income, he would either sign a 2 year deal, or force arbitration and get himself to UFA.  He isn’t going to go through all the circus of holding out when he has other options.

Thats the main way the situation differs from the Nylander situation.  Nylander was only 22-23 with 2.5 NHL seasons under his belt when he held out.  He wasn’t arbitration eligible.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m not sure why it would be any more likely the happen with Mitts than any other soon to be RFA.  In fact the situations are pretty dissimilar and I think it’s pretty unlikely that holding out would ever make sense for Mittelstadt.

If Mitts really just wanted to maximize his income, he would either sign a 2 year deal, or force arbitration and get himself to UFA.  He isn’t going to go through all the circus of holding out when he has other options.

Thats the main way the situation differs from the Nylander situation.  Nylander was only 22-23 with 2.5 NHL seasons under his belt when he held out.  He wasn’t arbitration eligible.

Well yes, arbitration is the most likely route. 

I just kind of see the possible impasse along these lines. Last year if he was mapping out the Sabres over time KA probably thought I have my 1C (Thompson) locked up on a good long term deal so I'm locking up my 2C with similar term (Cozens) and then if he grows into it Mitts can be my 3C and with that thinking he's probably projecting 4-5 million but since, Mitts has been arguably the best center, definitely second best and now the math goes out the window. 

idk, we will see what happens. It's all guess work at this point. Partly depends on how much Mitts wants to stay a Sabre. Again, just guess work. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

A thing is about to happen...

Is it?

"Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman believes the move is being made more for injury protection, rather than a possible upcoming trade. Dan Vladar and Jacob Markstrom also are on the Flames' roster. Markstrom missed Wednesday's practice for maintenance."

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Leafs and Sabres have played 13 games.

Nhl.com is literally showing me different 😆

Wasn’t even a phone cache error as I reset it twice to be sure, so odd. Temporary website error I guess. Still showing it wrong for me. 

edit: it has now resolved 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No,

image.thumb.png.f4882a40f5c31d94dfa0c2a6c3e54948.png

First time you’ve accurately contradicted me, congrats! 

😉

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is it?

"Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman believes the move is being made more for injury protection, rather than a possible upcoming trade. Dan Vladar and Jacob Markstrom also are on the Flames' roster. Markstrom missed Wednesday's practice for maintenance."

I think we are getting to a point where the league should allow teams to carry 3 goalies on the roster by adding another roster spot for a goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well yes, arbitration is the most likely route. 

I just kind of see the possible impasse along these lines. Last year if he was mapping out the Sabres over time KA probably thought I have my 1C (Thompson) locked up on a good long term deal so I'm locking up my 2C with similar term (Cozens) and then if he grows into it Mitts can be my 3C and with that thinking he's probably projecting 4-5 million but since, Mitts has been arguably the best center, definitely second best and now the math goes out the window. 

idk, we will see what happens. It's all guess work at this point. Partly depends on how much Mitts wants to stay a Sabre. Again, just guess work. 

Personally, I say sign him.  He doesn’t need to be an overpaid 3C.  He (or Cozens) can play on the wing when it makes sense.  It doesn’t destroy the salary structure if he signs a contract that matches Thompson and Cozens’.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

Personally, I say sign him.  He doesn’t need to be an overpaid 3C.  He (or Cozens) can play on the wing when it makes sense.  It doesn’t destroy the salary structure if he signs a contract that matches Thompson and Cozens’.

Just sign him and if you have to trade someone later, you do it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I think we are getting to a point where the league should allow teams to carry 3 goalies on the roster by adding another roster spot for a goalie.

I don't think so. You just need to have young goalies in the system who can be called up from the AHL. It's not a big deal but there's no question Wolfe is knocking on the door there and will force his way on to the team at some point. 

38 minutes ago, Curt said:

Now moving Cozens to wing is an interesting idea that I am in favour of. He's one of our better forwards along the wall and he does have some grit and two way ability so I can definitely see him as a good winger matched with a play maker. Sabres seem set on Greenway on a top line though. Cozens at wing does leave a bottom end weak at center and we're still missing that 3C shutdown guy but the top 2 lines would be pretty dangerous. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is it?

Yes, it is. Wolf is happening. Imagine better Levi. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Now moving Cozens to wing is an interesting idea that I am in favour of. He's one of our better forwards along the wall and he does have some grit and two way ability so I can definitely see him as a good winger matched with a play maker. Sabres seem set on Greenway on a top line though. Cozens at wing does leave a bottom end weak at center and we're still missing that 3C shutdown guy but the top 2 lines would be pretty dangerous. 

You're far too obsessed with 3c shutdown stuff. We're going to be able to run 3 lines that will be 2nd line or better. The 4th line can be a shutdown line. No reason to move Mitts out or Cozens to the wing. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You're far too obsessed with 3c shutdown stuff. We're going to be able to run 3 lines that will be 2nd line or better. The 4th line can be a shutdown line. No reason to move Mitts out or Cozens to the wing. 

Would actually prefer the 2nd line to be the 2 way line that can shut opponents down than the 3rd or 4th line, but we're kind of getting into just semantics there.

They are definitely working towards having 3 highly skilled lines.  Whether the 4th line ends up a 2 way offensively inclined line or a defensively responsible tough to play against line like the Aisles 4th line remains to be seen.  (And, that there aren't many guys that could fit that sort of role at present shouldn't be used as a reason to expect they won't be here in a year or 2.  This team has a plethora of high end prospects and there isn't going to be room for everybody.  Rather than trading all of the excess for futures to keep the pipeline replenished, some could get moved for Matt Martin style guys or those guys could come from FA.)

Personally would be very interested in seeing if they could make 2 solidly 2 way lines for the middle 6 and believe that both Mitts and Cozens could center just such a line.  That would give them the freedom to make pretty much any sort of 4th line they feel like running with.  They already have 5 guys that could fit those middle 2 line roles if all were healthy - Mitts, Cozens, Greenway, Quinn, & Peterka.  Could Krebs, Savoie, or Benson (or maybe even Rousek) help finish out rounding out 2 of those style lines?

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with you.

With Cozens my biggest complaint is he doesn't know when to pull back on being aggressive. He is always chasing the puck, and when you are a center and you vacate your zone in coverage, you are leaving a big gaping hole in the center of the ice for the other team in prime scoring position. Plus as you said, he is good on the wall and likes to go there.

To me he would be a good winger, and right now his defensive zone coverage is pretty bad at center, It could be a win-win moving him to wing.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I fully agree Wolf is the real deal. I thought they'd move a goalie before the season started to let him play but they seem to be taking a slower approach. Wolf as their started is inevitable at some point. 

Obsessed? I suppose, because I think it's a necessary part of the make up of a good team. This idea of all these tops lines is just a theoretical idea and we haven't started winning yet. Get back to me when we do. 

On 11/8/2023 at 1:40 PM, mjd1001 said:

-Is San Jose the worst team in the modern NHL era? Possibly the worst team in major NA professional sports in the last 50 years?  They are 'on pace' for 20 points for the year, and that is AFTER getting their first win last night.

-Edmonton...Stanley cup or Bust this year right?  Some betting sites had them as a top-4 favorite to win the cup before the year started.  Well, 2w and 9L with the worst goal differential next to San Jose...something gotta change there right?  McDavid missed 2 games, but that doesn't excuse the way that team is playing.

San Jose is now tied with Edmonton after their win tonight.  Two in a row after Mike Grier rattled some cages in the dressing room.  McKenzie Blackwood played great.  Skinner, not so much, giving up 3 on 18 shots. The Sharks PK held the Oil scoreless on 4 chances.  Could be some broken LCD’s in Edmonton tonight.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I fully agree Wolf is the real deal. I thought they'd move a goalie before the season started to let him play but they seem to be taking a slower approach. Wolf as their started is inevitable at some point. 

Obsessed? I suppose, because I think it's a necessary part of the make up of a good team. This idea of all these tops lines is just a theoretical idea and we haven't started winning yet. Get back to me when we do. 

Get back to me when we're healthy and doing it. You have no logic behind your Mitts panic. Dude's BFF is Dahlin and he's been given lots of love by this staff and coach. The reason other teams don't run 3 offensive lines is because they can't. A shutdown line is cheaper. I also think it's a fallacy to assume a scoring line can't be a shutdown line. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1