Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

43 minutes ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

Ick.. the fallout still continues... no offense to Bowman and Joel Q.... but no... there is no place for them in the NHL... and the Black Hawks should pay a price... https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-blackhawks-player-sues-team-alleges-he-was-sexually-assaulted-by-brad-aldrich-203857392.html

There’s many things wrong with this culture:

”Aldrich sneaked into the bedroom of John Doe while he was having sex with a woman, and tried to join the encounter. He made his presence known by playing with John Doe’s feet in the dark.”

Let ignore the sexual assault for a moment but why exactly was John Doe having sex in the same area as Aldrich? Is having sex with women a regular activity at film reviews? My guess is that this behavior is probably more widespread than the sexual assaults  

Edited by kas23

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

and there were some very vocal posters who wanted this guy on the team. 

And he's slower the Okposo at this point and is signed for 2 more seasons after this one.

He also didn't do anything to address Marchand's trip of Liljegren into the boards. He was signed to make them less soft and still had no response.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

And he's slower the Okposo at this point and is signed for 2 more seasons after this one.

He also didn't do anything to address Marchand's trip of Liljegren into the boards. He was signed to make them less soft and still had no response.

Not true. He was yapping at Marchand skating by and when Marchand chirped him back he was seen smiling and laughing hysterically. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

and there were some very vocal posters who wanted this guy on the team. 

Yeah but at least he is a tough guy and gets to

bloody a couple noses… And we all know… Getting into three or four fights a month makes all the difference in the world! 
Sabres should trade for Reeves, and DesLauriers. Sabres would be instant cup contenders with those slugs/pylons/waste of space on the team!

Edited by Zamboni

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yeah but at least he is a tough guy and gets to

bloody a couple noses… And we all know… Getting into three or four fights a month makes all the difference in the world! 
Sabres should trade for Reeves, and DesLauriers. Sabres would be instant cup contenders with those slugs/pylons/waste of space on the team!

Nobody wants a plodder, fighter like Reaves.

See the Lawson Crouse thread for a good example of a player that could help. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Nobody wants a plodder, fighter like Reaves.

See the Lawson Crouse thread for a good example of a player that could help. 

You are wrong about the word “nobody”.  There are definitely a few fans who want fighters/pugilists on this team right now today. 

29 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

You are wrong about the word “nobody”.  There are definitely a few fans who want fighters/pugilists on this team right now today. 

I agree with that.  I personally don't care and don't need a designated fighter, but take a look at some of the Leafs forums now...it seems a large number of fans think the solution to the leaf's problems is a lot more toughness, and to many/most of them that means more fighting, more cheap shots, making the other team fear guys like Reaves.

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with that.  I personally don't care and don't need a designated fighter, but take a look at some of the Leafs forums now...it seems a large number of fans think the solution to the leaf's problems is a lot more toughness, and to many/most of them that means more fighting, more cheap shots, making the other team fear guys like Reaves.

I hope they do. Their core guys would take a beating from opponents teams.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

We have a designated fighter. It’s Cozens, he drew the short straw 

Watching the Lightning taking it to the Leafs tonight so far 

The commentator about the Lightning PP “it’s the threat off of both flanks , you have Kucherov on the one side and Stamkos on the other.”

why the Sabres don’t have Olofsson on PP1 (soon to be Kulich) opposite Thompson is beyond me  

nobody is scared of Cozens or Skinner shooting so they can cheat and take away Tage.    Am I wrong ??

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Watching the Lightning taking it to the Leafs tonight so far 

The commentator about the Lightning PP “it’s the threat off of both flanks , you have Kucherov on the one side and Stamkos on the other.”

why the Sabres don’t have Olofsson on PP1 (soon to be Kulich) opposite Thompson is beyond me  

nobody is scared of Cozens or Skinner shooting so they can cheat and take away Tage.    Am I wrong ??

Because when those 2 are both on the ice, the PP becomes even more stationary than it currently is.  They also become very poor at recovering loose pucks.  It makes it very easy for the defenders to shut it down.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Because when those 2 are both on the ice, the PP becomes even more stationary than it currently is.  They also become very poor at recovering loose pucks.  It makes it very easy for the defenders to shut it down.

Given the Sabres want to run their PP from the point with Dahlin, you might have a good point there.

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

LoLeafs

Just like how things look outside this time of year.....Leafs are falling.  What a beautiful sight!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Just like how things look outside this time of year.....Leafs are falling.  What a beautiful sight!

Toronto has the exact same record now as they did after 11 games last year.

The difference is last year they started slow because Matthews wasn't scoring. This year the problems seem a bit more 'structural' as their backend just is really bad.

Morgan Rielly is good (but not great). Klingberg is a disaster with almost anything he does from the redline back.  Brodie is a decent guy who is good enough to play about 18 minutes but he is up to 21 minutes because they have no other options.  Giordano was old 2 years ago and continues to play like it....and they aren't getting anything positive out of Jake McCabe

They really miss Holl and Sandin. They took the money they could have paid them and gave Bertuzzi $5.5m (3 points in 11 games)  and Max Domi $3m (0 goals, 4 assists in 11 games.)

They can still turn it around and get hot, but I think this is a worse team than last years team, despite Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all entering the prime of their careers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1