Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

10 hours ago, TheAud said:

I guess this is yet again not the year the Bruins performance falls off. Damn. 

It’s still early, they will start to lose a few and put a dent in their confidence.

They probably use those pre season predictions as bulletin board material as opposed to the Sabres feeling the pressure for a change.

8 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

I was not in any way trying to make an argument that Makar > Orr. I was just saying that Makar IS a superstar. Makar is currently 3rd on the all time Defenseman Career points per game list, whereas McDavid is 4th. 
And the “every record falls in the modern era” is not close to the truth in Hockey. Last year, McDavid had the highest point total in the last 25 years, and still was 60 points away from the single season record. 

"superstar". Back to that word again. On the same team, is McKinnon a superstar? How many superstars would you say there are in the league right now?

38 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Would you say there are as many superstars as there are NHL records that regularly fall?

idk as I don't pay attention to records much but for me, and this is just my view as it is truly a subjective thing, any league with more than a half dozen superstars is over using the term and setting the bar for that designation too low. 

Same thing holds for supermodels 🙂

On 10/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Different era, different rules, different styles of play, every old record falls in the modern era. It means nothing. 

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk as I don't pay attention to records much but for me, and this is just my view as it is truly a subjective thing, any league with more than a half dozen superstars is over using the term and setting the bar for that designation too low. 

Same thing holds for supermodels 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly I'm starting to suspect conspiracy at this point. 

Arizona trades Chychrun for a lesser return to Ottawa while insisting on our prospects and refusing equivalent or better value from our offer. 

We've had multiple players on our radar and yet not one ends up here.

It honestly feels like teams are outright refusing to trade with us barring us trading them blue-chip prospects regardless if we offer equal or better value.

I know some of you would be perfectly fine with trading multiple prospects for any new body regardless of contract situation but that's extremely short sighted to trade a player like Savoie+ for Hanifin and then follow that up with an extension at a minimum of 6x7mil

At this point I'm at a loss on what we can do if we are being more or less blackballed. We end up being screwed either way because we either greatly overpay for a guy using superior potential for a lesser but realized player. Or just keep hoping the prospects grow up over time. The issue being time requirements. I'm personally terrified of trading young guys because I fear them just exploding on a new team and making us look bad yet again.

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

but that's extremely short sighted to trade a player like Savoie+ for Hanifin and then follow that up with an extension at a minimum of 6x7mil

Thompson Tuch Skinner Cozens Mittelstadt Quinn Peterka Benson Rosen Kulich 

Owen Power is averaging 24 minutes per game this year, and is overwhelmed half the time he's out there right now

What on God's green earth are you talking about "short-sighted"

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Owen Power is averaging 24 minutes per game this year, and is overwhelmed half the time he's out there right now

Why plug a huge hole using one of your countless forward prospects and prevent the guy you just gave a ton of money to from being destroyed like Risto or Myers were? Because this organization is owned and run by absolute fools. Soon to be 13 years ***** all and counting, I'm just tired of this neverending *****.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Honestly I'm starting to suspect conspiracy at this point. 

Arizona trades Chychrun for a lesser return to Ottawa while insisting on our prospects and refusing equivalent or better value from our offer. 

We've had multiple players on our radar and yet not one ends up here.

It honestly feels like teams are outright refusing to trade with us barring us trading them blue-chip prospects regardless if we offer equal or better value.

I know some of you would be perfectly fine with trading multiple prospects for any new body regardless of contract situation but that's extremely short sighted to trade a player like Savoie+ for Hanifin and then follow that up with an extension at a minimum of 6x7mil

At this point I'm at a loss on what we can do if we are being more or less blackballed. We end up being screwed either way because we either greatly overpay for a guy using superior potential for a lesser but realized player. Or just keep hoping the prospects grow up over time. The issue being time requirements. I'm personally terrified of trading young guys because I fear them just exploding on a new team and making us look bad yet again.

“Make us look bad”

LMAO that’s a good one, dude

..oh wait… you were serious..

Honestly my friend, if that’s what you are worried about you need to take solace in the fact there’s nothing we could do that would make us look materially worse than what we’ve already been doing for a decade plus. Do you think outsiders pay attention to the ins and outs of things that we do here that rightly or wrongly give us hope for the what may or may not be on the horizon? They look at the playoff drought. The language of others teams is generally winning and losing not development and improvement - we’ve just become accustomed to it and forgotten.

WHO CARES what they think. If that’s what you are hung up on, you should understand that the only thing that will stop us “looking bad” to all them is actually winning: regardless of what “bad, embarrassing” moves we do, or do not make.

It might not work, but you have to try. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I used to kind of joke about it but I legitimately am beginning to think this is a real symptom of the fans being conditioned to focus on the future, for so long 

“We aren’t going to win the cup this year, anyways.”

it makes me shiver. what a poisonous line of thought. Just terrifying. And you hear it a lot.

the current season can have almost no value, by necessity, if the equation in one’s mind so prioritizes what’s to come rather than what’s in front of us, right now 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

Making a deal that would help us a lot this season CAN ONLY be seen as “short-sighted” in this mindset because this season is only A *MEANS TO A FUTURE END* rather than something completely valuable *in and of itself*

just make the playoffs! Do what you need to to make it happen! ffs. THIS year of our lives is valuable! The Sabres could be good now, it would be worth it to have a great year! leaving that much cap space on the table.. you aren’t doing what you can to make the playoffs.

we might make it this year. But in this way it seems we aren’t really trying to.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I used to kind of joke about it but I legitimately am beginning to think this is a real symptom of the fans being conditioned to focus on the future, for so long 

“We aren’t going to win the cup this year, anyways.”

it makes me shiver. what a poisonous line of thought. Just terrifying. And you hear it a lot.

the current season can have almost no value, by necessity, if the equation in one’s mind so prioritizes what’s to come rather than what’s in front of us, right now 

I just don't want to trade a prospect for a guy; have our guy just not pan out and the prospect go win a Stanley Cup so we can have another dunce cap on our city. 

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Then what though; I don't want to trade everything for a single shot at the playoffs

In a league where half the teams make the playoffs every year, you shouldn’t have to “trade everything” to make the playoffs.  You just need a competent GM focused more on winning than hoarding prospects and picks. 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Then what though; I don't want to trade everything for a single shot at the playoffs

Currently the Sabres actually have too many forward prospects.  There aren’t enough spots to give them all NHL shots.  Especially at the roles that they project to fill.  They will need to move some of them in the next 1-2 years.

What would be your plan for that?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Currently the Sabres actually have too many forward prospects.  There aren’t enough spots to give them all NHL shots.  Especially at the roles that they project to fill.  They will need to move some of them in the next 1-2 years.

What would be your plan for that?

Oh I know we'll need to make a trade; its more of a matter of getting something of equal value that concerns me.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Oh I know we'll need to make a trade; its more of a matter of getting something of equal value that concerns me.

Yeah, I’m not sure if Hanifin is who I would go for either.

For me it’s not a bad idea because it’s shortsighted, it’s probably a bad idea because Hanifin isn’t particularly good or a great fit.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2023 at 8:52 AM, French Collection said:

I’ll add that in the Bruins 5 games this season, only one opponent was a playoff team last year.

The Bruins haven't played particularly well but their defense and goaltending is solid as ever. They are goal scoring challenged though. The surprise emergence of the new kid (Poitras) has allowed them to look a little more like last year's team but overall, they have trouble scoring and some of them are slow. I think they play the Wings this week or weekend. That'll be their first real test to see if they can actually compete this year with what they have. 

It's funny to me personally, because they are the exact opposite of what we are. We have the offense. If you put the two teams together and divided them up evenly with defense and offense you'd end up with two perhaps perfectly balanced and solid teams. As is, it's a complete contrast in style (and age). 

13 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

In a league where half the teams make the playoffs every year, you shouldn’t have to “trade everything” to make the playoffs.  You just need a competent GM focused more on winning than hoarding prospects and picks. 

You can BE BOTH . The much ridiculed Yzerplan added several veterans and a plethora of draft picks as I think they had 2 firsts and several seconds last year and have 2 firsts next year. They used their cap money. Too soon to say if it has worked, but they have tried to be that thing you want (which I agree with). 

• Like (+1) 1