Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

On 10/20/2023 at 5:27 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Hasek was a superstar. No question. 

Perreault was arguably a superstar, but I could see an argument against that too. 

That's it for Sabres. 

Right now the league has one superstar in McDavid. Two fading old superstars in Crosby and Ovechkin and one possible future superstar in Bedard. 

There's another tier of players that you can make an argument for and they are all stars, but clear cut superstars? Highly subjective and I'd say no as my criteria for the term is extremely high. Others would lower that bar and include them. Pettersson might be in that group.

Question, were the Sedins superstars? Is Matthews a superstar? For you. 

I didn't mean win it all with that. But dominate games or change the course of them yes. 

Makar is undoubtedly a superstar, just beat Bobby Ore’s record for being the fastest defenseman in NHL history to 250 points. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Different era, different rules, different styles of play, every old record falls in the modern era. It means nothing. 

What? If you mean Gretzky broke all the old records, then great. But there’s been few important records broken in hockey and many phenomenal defensemen between Orr and Makar who couldn’t do it. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What? If you mean Gretzky broke all the old records, then great. But there’s been few important records broken in hockey and many phenomenal defensemen between Orr and Makar who couldn’t do it. 

You just can't compare athletes from different eras, that's all. If your implication is that Makar is better than Orr was I'd disagree vehemently. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You just can't compare athletes from different eras, that's all. If your implication is that Makar is better than Orr was I'd disagree vehemently. 

That’s not the implication at all. You said every old record falls in the modern game. I’m trying to understand what you’re saying because that simply isn’t true. You’re trying to minimize an accomplishment for no real reason with no real factual basis. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Some of those legends are so great that even being mentioned in the same breath is a significant accomplishment 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, #freejame said:

That’s not the implication at all. You said every old record falls in the modern game. I’m trying to understand what you’re saying because that simply isn’t true. You’re trying to minimize an accomplishment for no real reason with no real factual basis. 

The game today is different and it allows for different things. Hence, I don't think it has much meaning. Makar's a great player in this era. No argument. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

The game today is different and it allows for different things. Hence, I don't think it has much meaning. Makar's a great player in this era. No argument. 

Paul Coffee couldn’t do it on the best teams in history with higher scoring numbers and a more open game. Bourque couldn’t do it and he’s the highest scoring defensemen of all time. If neither of these guys could do it in easier eras to score it should mean something. The fact that up to this point in his career his scoring is second to none, in a league where things like that simply doesn’t happen, should carry meaning. Just because Mel Ott didn’t end up being Babe Ruth reincarnated doesn’t mean he wasn’t an incredible player with an even more incredible start to his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Makar is undoubtedly a superstar, just beat Bobby Ore’s record for being the fastest defenseman in NHL history to 250 points. 

One note that kind of adds some perspective to this.  Orr’s first 250 games were when he was ages 18-21.  Makar’s were when he was 21-24.  Big difference there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Makar deserves credit for what he's done, but he's no Orr. If you're basing on the games played, Orr played the best against the best in his first year before expansion. Only defenseman to win the Art Ross Trophy (twice). He paved the way for all others. As to Perreault, superstars of his era will say and do say he was the most talented hockey player they ever saw....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

Paul Coffee couldn’t do it on the best teams in history with higher scoring numbers and a more open game. Bourque couldn’t do it and he’s the highest scoring defensemen of all time. If neither of these guys could do it in easier eras to score it should mean something. The fact that up to this point in his career his scoring is second to none, in a league where things like that simply doesn’t happen, should carry meaning. Just because Mel Ott didn’t end up being Babe Ruth reincarnated doesn’t mean he wasn’t an incredible player with an even more incredible start to his career. 

And just because one hockey fan doesn’t agree with the premise of what you’re saying, Doesn’t mean he is correct. Don’t try so hard trying to get him to agree with what you’re saying. Does him agreeing with you really matter that much? I know I couldn’t care less. By the way, I agree with what you’re saying about Makar.

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

And just because one hockey fan doesn’t agree with the premise of what you’re saying, Doesn’t mean he is correct. Don’t try so hard trying to get him to agree with what you’re saying. Does him agreeing with you really matter that much? I know I couldn’t care less. By the way, I agree with what you’re saying about Makar.

I don’t care whether he agrees with me nor have I been trying to get him to. He said records fall in the modern era constantly so it means nothing. That’s simply not true and he needs to acknowledge that rather than continuously doubling down. He can think Cale Makar sucks all he wants. 

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Different era, different rules, different styles of play, every old record falls in the modern era. It means nothing. 

I was not in any way trying to make an argument that Makar > Orr. I was just saying that Makar IS a superstar. Makar is currently 3rd on the all time Defenseman Career points per game list, whereas McDavid is 4th. 
And the “every record falls in the modern era” is not close to the truth in Hockey. Last year, McDavid had the highest point total in the last 25 years, and still was 60 points away from the single season record. 

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don’t care whether he agrees with me nor have I been trying to get him to. He said records fall in the modern era constantly so it means nothing. That’s simply not true and he needs to acknowledge that rather than continuously doubling down. He can think Cale Makar sucks all he wants. 

He doesn’t need to acknowledge anything. I guess that’s the point I’m making he doesn’t need to do anything. I completely agree with what you’re saying. But he doesn’t need to nor will he acknowledge a damn thing. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Pasta + Marchand shouldn't be enough. Their centers are average at best.

The Bruins and 1st year Vegas are two good data points that complete buy in to a good system is a recipe for success.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1