Sabres Embedded: The 2023 Draft

Brawndo

I enjoyed it. It is edited obviously geared to who is picked rather then the discussions about the players who they didn’t pick. All I know is if Wahlberg turns out as well as Peterka and Kulich then the team is in great shape. You can’t say Adams doesn’t put the effort  in at working the phones.

I think they are in a good place as far as scouting, analytics and the integration of both to make collaborative decisions. The past 3 drafts are looking extremely promising.

I just love these vids, one of my favourites every year.   I do realize these are rigged to focus on the guys they drafted, would love to see one day to see their comments on other players.  But I guess those are the secrets kept indoors.

Wanted to post this myself, but embedded now below 🙂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Seeing these guys getting so excited at landing these kids can kind of be infectious.  (Realize that's the point, to hype the future while the present finally gets here; but they've been genuinely excited to land them.  And they seem to have been right on guys they've drafted in the past like Power, Quinn, and Peterka.)

@Brawndo & @Huckleberry 🍻

• Like (+1) 1

I still think that the guy whom they should have been wanting to trade for is Quentin Musty.   San Jose needs a lot right now, why not try to swing a trade for him?  And on that front, Montreal seems to be swamped in prospects, isn't there some value in trying to get Luke Tuch moved into our system?  I'm not saying that the Sabres have to be all New Yorkers, but it can't hurt when they are talented NYers and WNYers.

17 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

I still think that the guy whom they should have been wanting to trade for is Quentin Musty.   San Jose needs a lot right now, why not try to swing a trade for him?  And on that front, Montreal seems to be swamped in prospects, isn't there some value in trying to get Luke Tuch moved into our system?  I'm not saying that the Sabres have to be all New Yorkers, but it can't hurt when they are talented NYers and WNYers.

I doubt SJS would trade Musty so recently after drafting him and they are rebuilding so idk what we would trade for him if he were available. Musty, for those who don't have it in front of them, was drafted 26th overall this past year. 

No reason to trade for Luke Tuch at all. He is going into his 4th year in college meaning he will be a UFA in August if Montreal doesn't sign him. I would just wait and Buffalo is also swamped with forward prospects so I am not sure Buffalo is actually a good landing spot for his career. To be truthful, Tuch's numbers in college project him out to maybe a middle 6 AHL type of guy. There just isn't any reason to trade assets for that. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I doubt SJS would trade Musty so recently after drafting him and they are rebuilding so idk what we would trade for him if he were available. Musty, for those who don't have it in front of them, was drafted 26th overall this past year. 

No reason to trade for Luke Tuch at all. He is going into his 4th year in college meaning he will be a UFA in August if Montreal doesn't sign him. I would just wait and Buffalo is also swamped with forward prospects so I am not sure Buffalo is actually a good landing spot for his career. To be truthful, Tuch's numbers in college project him out to maybe a middle 6 AHL type of guy. There just isn't any reason to trade assets for that. 

I think his point was they should have been trying to trade back into the first round to draft Musty instead of Wahlberg.

I trust this staff and who they have zeroed in on the last few drafts (Peterka, Kulich) And I thought Wahlberg looked really impressive in the 3 on 3 tournament.

Musty would have been a nice story but they obviously like what they see in Wahlberg and what he can bring to the lineup down the road.

Edited by Flashsabre

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Everyone needs to watch this video.  I know it's edited, but fascinating how they work their connections.  Obviously, they watched Benson a ton because of Savoie and Krebs, but Okposo having a line into Wahlberg was also surprising.  

I wouldn’t mind seeing KO in the 2024 Embedded Draft Video working for the Sabres Front Office. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 9/14/2023 at 7:27 PM, Taro T said:

Seeing these guys getting so excited at landing these kids can kind of be infectious.  (Realize that's the point, to hype the future while the present finally gets here; but they've been genuinely excited to land them.  And they seem to have been right on guys they've drafted in the past like Power, Quinn, and Peterka.)

@Brawndo & @Huckleberry 🍻

I love the 2021 Draft with Power, Rosie, Nikita Novikov (he is exactly what the doctor ordered)… then Poltapov, Kisakov, Stillman (trade for Bloom) Nadeau and Kozak! What a draft!

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to this. 

Did anybody else get the vibe that Jerry Forton seems to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting and taking the lead on a lot of decisions and actions. I tend to lead collaboratively but I just got the vibe that Adams was almost looking for approval from Forton rather than bringing him into the fold. 

Also I think his sister is the one who sells those big fuzzy water buffalo Bills hats. 

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Finally got around to this. 

Did anybody else get the vibe that Jerry Forton seems to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting and taking the lead on a lot of decisions and actions. I tend to lead collaboratively but I just got the vibe that Adams was almost looking for approval from Forton rather than bringing him into the fold. 

Also I think his sister is the one who sells those big fuzzy water buffalo Bills hats. 

That would kind of make sense.  Forton is the Director of Amateur Scouting.  He is basically in charge of the draft.  Of course Adams is ultimately responsible for everything, but Forton (and his scouts) is the one focusing on draft prospects year round, not Adams.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.