Adams "still going to work on" Dahlin deal over next couple of weeks

PASabreFan

13 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I get signing all these players to long term deals, but man, we have a lot of big contracts for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in forever.

Well, expect there'll be 2-3 more guys in this category by the end of the month, but currently they have exactly 6 contracts that extend more than the next 2 seasons and 2 of those expire after 3 years.  Doubt that is out of line with the rest of the league.

Other than Skinner's deal, which of those 6 would you like to see end w/in the next 2 years?

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, expect there'll be 2-3 more guys in this category by the end of the month, but currently they have exactly 6 contracts that extend more than the next 2 seasons and 2 of those expire after 3 years.  Doubt that is out of line with the rest of the league.

Other than Skinner's deal, which of those 6 would you like to see end w/in the next 2 years?

Compare that to Ottawa who has handed out a bunch of 7-8 year deals lately.  Ok, it's not 12 years or whatever we're at, but they're in pretty much the same boat as us, a lengthy rebuild with the current administration.  As a fan, it takes some getting used to, but as you said, these long term deal are just the way of the league right now.

The price of doing business with highly drafted players, is out of ELC contracts, you have to pony up, or look to move them.  The surging upwards Sabres, are not in the maligned muck.  With the possible "hope" of Devon Levi being the savior in net, and a few key defensive and depth size signings.  We could finally see the curse of 13 years of suffering and anguish end.  Signing Dahlin and Power isn't just a necessity, it's part of that upward climb out of the dogshit that we've been malaised with for over a decade.  We finally have two horses, that can push us up.  Look at the dynamic of Hedman and Sergachev. 

They both are dominant in their own ways.  This is similar in Dahlin and Power.  Power is more of the Hedman, confident, calm and uses his size the way he needs.  Dahlin, the more powerful, physical player, who still has enough skill to press the issue at any time.  If we want to make the next step up, this is the price of doing business.  Welcome to becoming a big club.  Tampa has depth down the middle, the sabres are showing that.  They drafted and developed a core, the Sabres are starting to finally show that their previous inemptitude is ending. 

A stronger case for analytics, and actual indepth scouting, is improving things in Rochester, showing a conference final in just over a year.  That's with only a few blue chippers.  The sarbes, continue to add different dynamics to their farm system, and we're no longer a joke.   Dahlin and Power for 8 years, is an eventuality.    

Edited by Rasmus_
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/10/2023 at 7:13 PM, Taro T said:

I included the upcoming deals in my thoughts. Again, I said i understand, I'm not against it. It just seems odd, but not wrong.  I'm not looking to see any deal end really, I like all the players. To me, it's just unusual, but I might be wrong.

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

This would not bother me. It is inevitable as the cap rises that some star players will want shorter deals. If Dahlin extends for 5 years, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be here or that he is gone at the end of the deal. It means he is here for at least 6 more years and if things go as hoped he will re-up down the road. Nothing here to worry about in my view.

Well I'd say it's not necessarily "nonsense" and I can see how a player might want that at this stage in his career. He's 23, so if he takes an 8 years deal at 31 he's a free agent and that looks a little iffy age wise for another 7-8 year deal from anyone. With a 5 year deal he's 28 at the end and hits free agency in his "prime" and likely gets a hefty 7 year deal from us or someone else (assuming he'd playing top tier level). 

I can see how an agent might push for this, and it also positions him for an escape in his prime if things go badly here. 

So I don't think it's BS or nonsense, I think it's likely true, and if he is "unhappy" KA better fix it one way or the other. 

• Like (+1) 1

The podcast itself didn’t really seem to reflect the impression I got from the Tweet.

I mean, it wasn’t way off or anything, but the meat of the discussion was far-ranging and speculative. “Dahlin wants 5 and is pissed off he hasn’t got it” was a conclusion I might draw from the Tweet that I definitely would not draw from the pod.

“Dahlin wants to be here” and “Dahlin is pissed off it isn’t done yet” are 2 direct quotes. Dahlin asked for $11.5 is another thing that was implied.

I can tell you one thing if Dahlin is still at $11.5 for 5 and the Sabres are at $10.5 for 8, that’s nowhere near “virtually done” or whatever was stated 2 months ago, nor is this going to be resolved in the next week.

I’m sure Peters did have the conversation he says he did, and he tries to be professional, but he just doesn’t really know how to be professional. I.e. what constitutes a usable source, and how you need to verify things before you report them.

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The podcast itself didn’t really seem to reflect the impression I got from the Tweet.

I mean, it wasn’t way off or anything, but the meat of the discussion was far-ranging and speculative. “Dahlin wants 5 and is pissed off he hasn’t got it” was a conclusion I might draw from the Tweet that I definitely would not draw from the pod.

“Dahlin wants to be here” and “Dahlin is pissed off it isn’t done yet” are 2 direct quotes. Dahlin asked for $11.5 is another thing that was implied.

I can tell you one thing if Dahlin is still at $11.5 for 5 and the Sabres are at $10.5 for 8, that’s nowhere near “virtually done” or whatever was stated 2 months ago, nor is this going to be resolved in the next week.

I’m sure Peters did have the conversation he says he did, and he tries to be professional, but he just doesn’t really know how to be professional. I.e. what constitutes a usable source, and how you need to verify things before you report them.

That problem would effectively be doomsday here. 5 x 11.5 is purely pro-Dahlin and screws us both now and in the future. 

8 x 10 was fair but thanks to that idiot in Toronto players are trying to push the envelope. 7/8 x 10.5 are the limit for his value presently. That is what he needs to sign.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If those are the numbers there's no way he's taking 10.5 over 8 when the cap is going to go up a lot by all accounts. 11.5 over 5 positions him for another 7-8 at a similar or even higher number. 10.5 over 8 now makes him 31 and likely to not get much more, maybe less next deal. That's easily losing 10-15 million or so  for him over time.  This is not good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.