Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #21 Kyle Okposo

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #21 Kyle Okposo  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Kyle Okposo this year?

• He’s going to slip to the point he’s going to have trouble being an everyday player
    • He might struggle to stay healthy and slip a little points-wise, but he will still be a regular contributor
    • More of the same: solid bottom-6 play and excellent leadership

Okposo slid back statistically from his solid comeback season two years ago. His ice time dropped from 4th among Sabres forwards to 6th — fed largely by less time on both special teams —  as Casey Mittelstadt and Dylan Cozens moved past him. At the same time his production fell off, his possession numbers took a significant leap to 52.4% 5-on-5 despite starting ice that was heavily skewed to the defensive zone.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93992

Kyle was named captain to start last season and quickly cemented his position with his forthright, articulate takes with the media, effort on the ice, and unanimous support from a seemingly tight room. Many players called him the best captain they’d played with. After a brief period of reflection, the UFA resigned for one year, making it very clear that this team needs to embrace a higher standard: “Should our goal be to make the playoffs, to be 2 points better than this year? No. That’s expected now. You set the goal of winning a Stanley Cup and then you don’t touch that. You don’t run from that. You don’t let that weigh you down at all. The time is now.”

What do you expect from Okposo this year?
(Last year’s takes here)

All of them will ring true this season.  When healthy and rested he will be a solid bottom 6 and provide excellent leadership.  In order to stay healthy/rested he may need some form of platooning, not 50-50 but maybe 20% of the games go to Rousek.  

One of the things I struggle to understand around here is the number of people who want more veteran leadership while at the same time wanting Okposo gone.

To me, the guys kinda become the epitome of what you want out of a bottom-six vet; he's hard on pucks, responsible and hasn't completely lost his hands.

I think he's done a fantastic job setting the dressing room up for future success and the core is ready to carry that baton when he no longer can.

i also think he's headed for the sabres hockey ops department when he's done — not in any sort of public relations role, but as an actual part of Adams' brain trust.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

One of the things I struggle to understand around here is the number of people who want more veteran leadership while at the same time wanting Okposo gone.

To me, the guys kinda become the epitome of what you want out of a bottom-six vet; he's hard on pucks, responsible and hasn't completely lost his hands.

I think he's done a fantastic job setting the dressing room up for future success and the core is ready to carry that baton we he no longer can.

i also think he's headed for the sabres hockey ops department when he's done — not in any sort of public relations role, but as an actual part of Adams' brain trust.

I was hesitant about him coming back but I am OK with one more year. He is all right as a part time 4th liner, I hope he is load managed a bit to keep his energy up.

His style of leadership helps these young guys become great people and to come together as a team. I have concerns that he has never won anywhere so how does help get them over the hump. It doesn’t seem like he has the Messier/Toews serious stare down to make guys accountable and fall in line.

Erik Johnson has won a Cup while Clifton has been a part of a successful organization so they should provide some of that type of leadership.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.