Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #53 Jeff Skinner

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #53 Jeff Skinner  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Jeff Skinner this year?

• A typical “good’ Skinner year of 30ish goals and 30ish assists
    • A typical “bad’ Skinner year of 20ish goals and 20ish assists
    • Continued success with Tage and Tuch at or near a point per game
    • A return to his Nightmare on Ralph Street levels

After two miserable years toiling in the Ralph Krueger cemetery, very few people saw Skinner rebounding with 33 goals and 63 points two seasons ago. Nobody saw him celebrate turning 30 last season with a career year — nearly 20 points better than his previous high. He also may have been the team’s most consistent player with just 2 3-game pointless streaks marking his season-worst droughts.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=116085

The most remarkable stat on the Skinner scorecard was his 47 assists, which was 17 more than his previous high and basically double this career average. And the eye test showed those assists were earned, as he consistently found Thompson and Tuch with slick passes. The selfish penalties and lazy backchecks have dried up. He’s clearly found a niche and chemistry with two other players who are also being trusted to carry the load in a way none had been asked to before. He has reached the age where decline could appear at any time, but his skating and his health appear intact.

What do you expect from Skinner this year?
(Last year’s takes here)

Skinner is a player who was previously categorized mostly as a goal scorer who was a floater. He was the stereotypical one-dimensional player. As @dudacekpoints out with his stats on him is that he has worked hard to become more rounded as a player. He clearly made strides in passing and being more focused as a checker. Last year, there might not have been a player who made more nice passes for scores than he did. 

He also is our feistiest player who irritates the opposition. He's the player that most teams target because his style of play and mouth annoy the opposition. It's not at the Matthew Thackuk level but it is evident by the responses he draws from the opposing players that the other team is aware of his presence. 

What Skinner represents is the hope that other players such as Tage, JJ etc. can also adjust their games a little more and round it out with a little more focus on the defensive side of the game. This particular spirited player is fun to watch and without question is one of the best "chirpers" in the league. The best thing that happened to him is that Granato took over as the coach. Good coaching and a receptive player.

I think Skinner very much still has his legs and his fire, and he has 2 great linemates, and the 3 of them complement each other very well.  As long as he keeps his hands and the 3 of them stay healthy I think he will be very productive.

I think he’ll also be very good in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

Can’t remember a veteran Sabre who has changed my mind as much as Skinner has under Granato.

He used to be such a me-first player but he seems to be so much more on board with the team concept and confident with his place in it. He was very good last season, fun to watch and hardly overpaid.

Unlike Tuch, I do think last year was more of a statistical outlier simply because of the larger body of work, so I picked “good Skinner”.

But the chemistry on that line was marvellous and wouldn’t surprise me if he does more.

Edited by dudacek

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 2:07 PM, dudacek said:

Can’t remember a veteran Sabre who has changed my mind as much as Skinner has under Granato.

He used to be such a me-first player but he seems to be so much more on board with the team concept and confident with his place in it. He was very good last season, fun to watch and hardly overpaid.

Unlike Tuch, I do think last year was more of a statistical outlier simply because of the larger body of work, so I picked “good Skinner”.

But the chemistry on that line was marvellous and wouldn’t surprise me if he does more.

I voted with you that I expect Skinner to have another 30/30 season give or take a little.

You mentioned in another thread that Casey is our 5th best forward.  I think Casey closes the gap to Skinner and we could argue by year's end that Casey is now the 4th best forward on the team.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.