Rick Jeanneret: 1942–2023

PromoTheRobot

10 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

His enthusiasm for the games during our recent drought was amazing. I don't know how he did it. I could barely watch at times, he never changed. A true professional.

Because the Sabres were his 'baby'. Like a proud papa, you knew he would love unconditionally whether they were struggling to find their way or soaring to new heights. He truly was one of a kind. I can't speak for everyone on these boards but, for me, he is a big reason why I came to love the Sabres as kid and still do to this day.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

RIP to one of the greatest sports broadcasters of all time. 

As a youngster learning to love the game of hockey, my young impressionable self was listening to RJ on the radio most nights.

He had such an exciting inflection in his voice and his way of describing the action really helped me "see" the game. 

Most nights I played along with a taped up ball of socks, scoring goals like Gilbert Perrault and making saves like Bob Sauve. 

Your calls will live on in my head forever, you will be missed 💙💛💙💛

• Like (+1) 5

I am a little surprised that pain is such a sharp emotion among the many I am feeling. I am realizing it is because I had been entirely convinced that I hadn't heard Rick's last call, that we would get playoff games from him in the near future. 

Getting RJ night right was one of the most important things this franchise did and it was one of the nights that convinced me we were starting to straighten things out.

• Like (+1) 1

Upon his passing from this mortal coil last night, Rick Jeanneret learned two things. The first thing he learned is that you don't either drop like a stone into the abyss of hell or float like a butterfly through fluffy clouds into heaven.

There's an elevator.

So he got in, with some trepidation.

When he turned to face the front of the car, he saw three buttons on the panel to his left. The bottom button was red with a white H. The middle button was green with a white H. The top button was blue with a gold R.

"Well, I have no idea!" Grumpy Rick had made it to the afterlife. 

He always suspected he was headed south of the border, given the number of beers he drank on the air and those thoughts he had as a teenage boy in Terrace Bay, Ontario.

"But partner, there's no way in h-e- double hockey sticks I'm signing my own death warrant!" he exclaimed in his earthly stentorian style.

Rick also couldn't bring himself to press the Green H, in case this was some kind of humility test.

So he pressed the R.

In the passing of no cosmic time a'tall, the elevator door opened upon the Pearly Gates. Rick smiled, his teeth suddenly absolutely perfect.

The second thing he learned is that Saint Peter has a sense of humor.

"You?! Brother, you are not worthy!" 

With that, the door slammed shut, and the tiny elevator turned into the enormous freight elevator at KeyBank Center. Now seemingly in real time, it clanked and shuddered and shucked and jived and slowly made its way upward.

After what seemed like an eternity, the door opened, and Rick sighed. He knew exactly where to go, exactly how many steps to take. Entering into his little cubbyhole over center ice, he recognized his chair, his long-lost pillow, and, sitting on the counter, the old stick mic he used for years at the Aud.

He approached the precipice, picked up the mic and peered over the edge. He took one quick panoramic look at his new home, put the mic to his lips and repeated something he'd said on the air so many times.

"Hoooooo-lyyyyyyy mackerellllllll!"

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

My favorite big call:

BLOWWWWS IT BY LUNDQVIST

The whole game sticks out. I was freshly 12 years old and beyond frustrated that my team had faced adversity for pretty much the first time since I started watching. They hadn't solved Lundqvist in damn near 2 games, and were 15 seconds from heading back to MSG down 3 games to 2. I stormed into the kitchen during the final commercial break of the 3rd period and wrote "1 - 0 L" on the schedule. (I hoped I could find it, but apparently I didn't start saving them until 2007-08.) I came back out to the living room, and remember Lorentz pondering the Rangers' faceoff decision before Rick reminded him that it was an icing. Rick asked us "Who else?? Who else??" I called my gramma during the intermission and told her what i did and how i need to cross out what i wrote. She scolded me to never do that again, to never lose hope that something amazing can happen. I haven't done it since. We talked about RJ on that phone call. There were a million moments like this in my life and one of the amazing things about Rick is that for each moment he narrated, 100,000 different meaningful interactions like this took place across the homes of Sabres fans. He was and endless presence. Mom doesn't care a lick about sports, but the number of hours she chose to read in the same room we watched the game versus somewhere else just because Rick made her laugh... she was the first one to message me yesterday 

We were radio only most of the time in 05-06, and drove down to Cuba NY for the weekend during game 1 vs OTT. Reception went in and out along the way and every time we were able to grasp at Rick's voice between the static, the score had changed by 2 goals. We sat down inside just in time for the start of overtime. Will never forget that one either. It's hard to find good video of that game with Rick on the call. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, X. Benedict said:

This remarkable man, whose voice painted vivid pictures of triumphs and defeats, became more than just a commentator to me, he probably had an outsized influence on my life . He became the companion of our autumns, winters, and springs, narrating the stories of personal  journeys with passion and fervor. His crackle and rasp, were my second interior monologue in my head. When I say he has inspired me. I really mean I could hear his voice daily in my head. 

I remember nights spent with my transistor under the blanket, and the white single earpiece cord. It was usually Ted Darling in the first and the third. RJ in the second. Then over time, it just became RJ. 

First Period. For as long as I can remember. I win the Stanley Cup every morning. This may sound silly, but its what I do. I lift the Stanley Cup. Sometimes I even press the imaginary weigh of it over my head as I make my coffee. The voice was always the same. It was Rick - but always a little different. RJ would announce the captain handing me the cup for me to lift.  - “And look at this, he’s one of US……there won’t be a dry eye in Western New York now…….X. Benedict is lifting the cup!!!” I am crying as I write this. For me RJ has always been the soundtrack of what is possible in my life. He has called every degree graduation, he has called every promotion, he has called my wedding. But it started much earlier, he called every goal of mine on the pond, every goal in the driveway, and every goal in life. He was my adopted inspiration voice. Perhaps he was yours too. 

Second Period. One thing that made RJ unique, is that he always called the game in front of him. He wasn’t telling long stories. He wasn’t telling history. He always focused on the game and the detials in front of him. He always knew who was on the ice. He always let you know who was in the face-off circle, who had the puck, how much time was left. There were great calls, but for me that was never the lesson. RJ was a Hall of Famer because he called the game he was at. He was in the moment. Calling the detials of a 6-1 blowout were just as important to him as the details of a the 6-5 overtime thriller. He knew the history, but he avoided the temptation to narrate the what belonged to the players. Any locker room disfunction, any heartwarming stories, any gossip. He avoided this. Everything he called was in service of the world the game in front of him created. - I guess this has always inspired me. His discipline was to keep the players lives private, and to focus on the 20 minutes in front of him. Everyone can get distracted. RJ always focused on the call. The call was colorful enough. He let others add color. In the weirdest way - he was always the most colorful straight man. The emotion came from the game. I always thought I would be a better person by focusing on what was in front of me.

Third Period. I write this to you, friends. Because even though I left this forum and social media a few years back -  RJ was some of the glue that made us a better community. I write this to you, simply because I know you will understand, and I have no one better in the world to communicate it to. I know you guys love the team, and I stopped by when I heard the news. There will be a disconnect with me. The voice I have stolen for my interior soundtrack, will now belong to a star in heaven, a voice in history, and not a living man. At least as long as I live, his voice will live in me. Perhaps you too. Be well friends. And my condolences. I’m sorry for OUR loss, and will miss him. We were blessed to have him. 

Rest in peace, old friend. Rest in peace. 

Glad you stopped by.  Don’t be a stranger.

• Like (+1) 5

I feel so lucky to have been able to hear RJ call hockey games.  Nobody, save for maybe Elvis, had the electricity and talent behind a microphone. He was a luminous soul and brightened all of our lives.  I think of him every time I tune into any sport, nobody else compares as a companion. I love RJ, and I always will. RIP.

• Awesome! (+1) 5

Lost a true legend yesterday. One a of kind and a true hockey hall of famer. I was so glad I got to meet him at the Alumni Event they had last year in Vegas at Hofbrauhaus. Spoke to him for 10 mins. Real friendly and talked a bit about Buffalo. I asked him how does he remember every player every game during the heat of the action. Do you study the roster / jersey numbers before each game or what? He said "hell no, i just wing it every time." HA, he had me laughing but he was dead serious. If there was anyone who could "wing it" it was definitely Rick. His calls were simply incredible. The hockey gods now have another one with them. Rest in peace, Rick. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.