You just signed a contract with an NHL team. Who’s on your 5 team no trade list?

Porous Five Hole

Edmonton - Just too far away from everything else

Rangers - Don't want to deal with everything Manhattan (traffic, crowds of people, etc)

Arizona - Middle of no-where, don't want to live in an area surrounded by so much desert, heat  (I could put Vegas here also))

Florida - I lived in Florida, disliked it greatly. The weather, the culture, everything about it. I spent years living there and dread every moment I go there to visit relatives

Tampa - See above

1. Boston Bruins- I've grown to despise the entire orginization

2. Arizona Coyotes- Will it ever not be a ***** show there?

3. Vancouver Canucks- Getting paid in looneys/tooneys and being on a crap team seems terrible.

4. New York Islanders- I know they make the playoffs but I always get the feeling that the owner couldn't care less about if they make playoffs or not.

5. Ottawa Senators- For similar reasons as #3, also it seems like a place to go when your career is over or diminishing (maybe not lately).

One of the coolest threads I have seen here!

1. Winnipeg - region and taxes, no thanks

2. Calgary - see above   

3. Edmonton - see above

4. Toronto - taxes and fish bowl environment - and not a positive fish bowl either. Demanding is good - but is cartoonish demanding.

side note: As a player, I would probably have all Canadian teams off my radar due to their tax structure - but Vancouver and Montreal are cities that have some character (Ottawa, I suppose I could handle it), and could see myself playing in all three of those places over #5....

5. Arizona - No long-term vision for team or market. That kind of uncertainty would make me uncomfortable - and give me the feels that I am playing for no other reason than money. 

50 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

FWIW the few people I know who have lived in Columbus really liked it. 

Columbus is a very nice city.  Ohio State University is there and there are some lovely suburban towns (like Dublin) in the metro area.  Parts of downtown are safe and have a good vibe.  Lots of good golf courses and upscale restaurants and shops in the area.  It has the stigma of being Midwestern, which east and west coast people immediately consider boring.  The crime in the city is much lower than most US cities of its size.  

• Like (+1) 1

I get the exercise, but as a mid level player, I wouldn’t have I no trade list. I’d thank my lucky stars to even be in the NHL and play anywhere for as long as they would have me.

But I hate golf and the summer, so every team below the Mason-Dixon Line (hell, maybe even below Rte 90) would be on my list except for San Jose.

Edited by SwampD

Now, I'm actually curious. My perception of Alberta is that it's a wealthy province with relatively low taxes

Alberta has personal income tax rate of 10% on the first $134,000, and no provincial sales tax. Health care is paid for.

Calgary has an average household income of $140,919 and a median of $99,715. Taxes turn that into $111,867and $84,770, according to federal government figures. (multiply by .74 to get US dollars.)

How does that compare to what you expect south of the border?

I'm also curious how much reality matches perception.

Calgary itself is a nice, clean, modern young city, that seemed to function well in my visits; it's not far out of the Canadian Rockies, which are beautiful. it's not small; there's $1.4 million people, lots of recreation.

it's also the air hub for Western Canada — travel is relatively easy. Winters can get real cold, but usually only in patches, summers are nice and the weather varies a lot. it has four seasons and plenty of sunshine.

Culturally, it's the most midwest/republican of the Canadian provinces, so middle of the pack for the US.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I wonder how much this really matters. I’d imagine they’ve got the best available options through the league. 

Definitely not an issue for nhl players, or a lot of rich, healthy people.

i was thinking about the regular folk posting on the thread.

Toronto -- toxic fanbases

Philadelphia -- a 50 year long passionate hate.

Arizona -- unless it stabilises.

Chicago -- scumbag cover-up.

Las Vegas -- I hate the night life, don'like to boogie on the disco at night, oh no.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.