What is Olofsson's role in the 2023/24 Sabres?

LGR4GM

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I was watching a Krebs highlihgth video the other day and it was interesting how many of them involved Olofsson.

Maybe they can build some chemistry on a 3rd line with Greenway?

I'd have no problem with a Cozens Peterka Mitts 2nd line.

Yeah.  If they aren't going to pull the 1st line apart, those almost have to be the 2nd and 3rd lines to get something that can work from line 1 -> line 4.

I like how Skinner is a deft playmaker now all of a sudden and VO a one trick pony who can only shoot lol. Skinner over the 3 full seasons previous to last year averaged 24 assists per 82 games. Olofsson over those 3 same seasons averaged 32 assists per 82. Maybe it more a function of who Skinner is lining up with relative to VO. If all it takes is a single season of increased assist totals to cement yourself as a deft playmaker, I’ll play devils advocate and side in the VO camp here because, considering he’s been *outproducing Skinner’s assist totals since he came into the NHL*, I would say he at least as likely, probably more likely a candidate to have that season that shifts opinions. Given the opportunity of course 

Edited by Thorny

A close friend of mine, who still plays for Frolunda, is a former teammate of his and they talk pretty regular.     

VO wants out, which is no secret.

That said, KA doesn't just give guys away, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's still around come training camp.

• Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

A close friend of mine, who still plays for Frolunda, is a former teammate of his and they talk pretty regular.     

That said, KA doesn't just give guys away, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's still around come training camp.

Tell his friend that a lot of fans want him out too.

He will be playing for another contract so he may have a decent start and increase his trade value. I still think KA will have to retain salary as most teams have no room.

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I initially posted confusion over VO wanting out and it being common knowledge.

But I just missed the reports. 

Jeez. How likely is it that he sticks around?

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I like how Skinner is a deft playmaker now all of a sudden and VO a one trick pony who can only shoot lol. Skinner over the 3 full seasons previous to last year averaged 24 assists per 82 games. Olofsson over those 3 same seasons averaged 32 assists per 82. Maybe it more a function of who Skinner is lining up with relative to VO. If all it takes is a single season of increased assist totals to cement yourself as a deft playmaker, I’ll play devils advocate and side in the VO camp here because, considering he’s been *outproducing Skinner’s assist totals since he came into the NHL*, I would say he at least as likely, probably more likely a candidate to have that season that shifts opinions. Given the opportunity of course 

With all the success of most of the team in Donnie’s system, I really wonder how much we are overlooking Vic not being a good fit in that system? Or at least with his role in it?

Did we know he’s a positive Corsi player over his career?

How do his analytics compare with Dahlin or Power compared to 3rd pairing guys I perceive him to have played with most?

• Like (+1) 1

No matter how this works out, he's had an excellent NHL career for 7th rounder.  How many players drafted that late get contracts worth $17,450,000 (in total)?  He's done well for himself.

I expect he'll get another contract to play in the NHL after this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm not afraid he'll play well, I'm afraid the Sabres think he can play well and give him opportunities and toi when a guy like Rousek might be able to contribute more. 

Skinner's underlying metrics from what I remember never cratered. Also, I like how we're now using a guy who did bad under Krueger and rebounded instantly under Granato as a sign that Oloffson will rebound back to... idk decent? 

Do you really believe that coach Granato is going to be hoodwinked by VO when he competes with other players in camp? I'll trust the judgment of the coach watching players in camp vying for roster spots and roles over people who have already made a determination on a player before the season even starts. If VO beats out other players, then so be it. If other players beat him out, then so be it. 

Is there a long-term role for VO? Probably not. Is there a short-term role for VO? Maybe. That's TBD. 

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you really believe that coach Granato is going to be hoodwinked by VO when he competes with other players in camp? I'll trust the judgment of the coach watching players in camp vying for roster spots and roles over people who have already made a determination on a player before the season even starts. If VO beats out other players, then so be it. If other players beat him out, then so be it. 

Is there a long-term role for VO? Probably not. Is there a short-term role for VO? Maybe. That's TBD. 

I gotta say, this is getting old fast. You say the exact same thing about everyone someone questions "I'll wait until camp..." 

Yea... we all have to wait until camp but this is a message board so we debate stuff before that. 

Maybe Olofsson will have a sudden epiphany that you have to be stronger and faster in the NHL. Certainly possible but this will be his last year in Buffalo. The talent coming is going to eclipse him. 

Ftr, I really like VO. I remember when he emerged after the Possler injury and just never went away. I think he's been a solid player and my take isn't a reflection on him as much as on how the team itself has grown around him. Or imo the team has outgrown him. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

JohnC I hope you know I'm not saying you're wrong. I think you are but you are right in that we don't know yet. 

Let's cool the temperature. 

What's changed is that Quinn got hurt and will be out for an extended period of time. I'm not got going to casually dismiss a player, although not well-rounded, who could help to this team even if it is for the short-term. The Sabres are at a stage where they should be very competitive. If VO, or any other player, can contribute in a fashion that will allow the team to a degree to absorb the loss of a key player, then I'm all for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

The team should be better so VO is now, what Vinnie Hinostroza was last year and if there is no possible trade his career will follow a similar path. 

If Quinn wasn't out I'd guarantee he wouldn't be in the starting line up come game 1 but that injury does provide a possible temporary spot. I'd rather rotate rookies through that roster spot but they may let VO have it for a while. 

Absolutely guaranteed he will not be a Sabre in 2024-25. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

One question I have about VO is that if many / most see him, as I do, as a deficient player overall (in spite of a great shot and the ability to score; his +/- is so bad), then what kind of trade value would he actually bring? Would teams really want him?

Particularly if we push it to the trade deadline. If he played well and brought down his negatives then we’d likely be inclined to not trade him. If he remains lousy on D what trade value does he have? 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The team should be better so VO is now, what Vinnie Hinostroza was last year and if there is no possible trade his career will follow a similar path. 

If Quinn wasn't out I'd guarantee he wouldn't be in the starting line up come game 1 but that injury does provide a possible temporary spot. I'd rather rotate rookies through that roster spot but they may let VO have it for a while. 

Absolutely guaranteed he will not be a Sabre in 2024-25. 

I agree with your comments. No one is worried about the 2024-25 season. When you have a hole in your pipe you patch it for a temporary solution, and then later on replace that segment of the pipe. If VO places well, then his value goes up as a trade asset. 

• Like (+1) 1

The team was one of the highest scoring teams in hockey last season and still missed the playoffs. The reason they missed is because they gave up too many goals.

The head coach has been absolutely clear in his statements that the goal was to create an offensive identity for the team and for its individual players, and to eventually introduce tighter defensive concepts as part of a progression. Despite of this fact (our coach basically telling us that this was the plan), it is still the case that certain players have become emblematic of the team’s shortcomings. The 3 players who we have primarily singled out are UPL, Jokiharju and Olofsson.

Granato and the assistants are all back. Therefore, to get better defensively we must remove defensive liabilities. 

I think the team will be better defensively when there is a team commitment to doing so. I do think that happens this year and that the 3 players I mention will be just fine. I’m not making a prediction, but I suspect a healthy Olofsson plays a middle 6 role for us all year (someone will be injured by the time Quinn comes back). 20+ goals is likely and 30 is a possibility. 

Edited by Archie Lee

Something no one talks about is if he stays all year the Sabres May walk him to UFA. I don’t see an extension coming.

If he plays decently and injuries keep him in the top 9, the Sabres might keep him for the playoff run. My guess is they will not be a seller at the deadline.

It is not like losing Briere and Drury but it depends on how they are sitting at the deadline as far as depth and standings.

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

If he remains lousy on D what trade value does he have? 

He was 56th in the league in goal scoring last year with 28 goals, same as Marchessault, Richard Rakell, Anders Lee, Anze Kopitar, Joe Pavelski and Martin Necas, and only one behind Artemi Panarin... only three behind Reinhardt.  He can put in the puck in the net better then most forwards in the league.  Granato has said several times that it's harder to develop offensive touch in the NHL than it is to learn defense.  If that's generally accepted around the league I could see several GMs wanting to increase their scoring on a budget and figuring they can coach Ollie to play a bit better defensively.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Something no one talks about is if he stays all year the Sabres May walk him to UFA. I don’t see an extension coming.

If he plays decently and injuries keep him in the top 9, the Sabres might keep him for the playoff run. My guess is they will not be a seller at the deadline.

It is not like losing Briere and Drury but it depends on how they are sitting at the deadline as far as depth and standings.

I think it's likely that by the end of the season not only will Quinn be back but other prospects will be pushing for spots on the NHL roster.  If Ollie is playing well and he's not in the long term plans, he definitely could be sold at the deadline for a draft pick or depth player in an area of need.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.