Sabres #109 pick: Ethan Miedema, 6'4" LW

LGR4GM

35 minutes ago, inkman said:

This team desperately needs to add size throughout their lineup.  I’d rather they take shots at late round projects than blowing firsts on size over skill.  

I think that statement has some merit as to the top of the forward pipeline but not on the NHL roster.

Centers - TnT 6'6 220, Cozens 6'3 195, Mitts 6'1 195, Krebs 6'0 187, Jost 5'11 187

RW - Tuch 6'4 219, Quinn 6'1 185, JJP 6'0 181, KO 6'0 218, Rousek 5'11 171

LW - Skinner 5'11 197, Greenway 6'6 231, VO 5'11 181, Girgensons 6'2 200

Defense

Dahlin 6'3 202, Samuelsson 6'4 231

Power 6'6 218, Clifton 5'11 190

Johnson 6'4 225, Lyubushkin 6'2 200

Stillman 6'1 196, Jokiharju 6'0 200

Who really plays small in this lineup? VO, Joki, Jost? 

Yes, Krebs, JJP, and Quinn could benefit from extra muscle, but that's more of an age issue.  This is not a small lineup and the defense is huge.  Greenway, Tuch, Tnt and Cozens all have significant size upfront.  Mitts and Krebs added physicality to their games last year and Skinner, despite his size, does consistently go to the net to score. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, inkman said:

This team desperately needs to add size throughout their lineup.  I’d rather they take shots at late round projects than blowing firsts on size over skill.  

To some extent that's true, but at this point, with a big prospect pool, maybe they need to look at style and what guys project to be over just speed and skill? I mean if we get to the draft next year and the BAP is a 5'10 little center with skill and a few picks down in ranking is a big 2 way guy who has comparables to say a ROR or some other similar maybe that's the guy we take instead. 

So not solely drafting for need, but maybe a bias in that direction. 

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

To some extent that's true, but at this point, with a big prospect pool, maybe they need to look at style and what guys project to be over just speed and skill? I mean if we get to the draft next year and the BAP is a 5'10 little center with skill and a few picks down in ranking is a big 2 way guy who has comparables to say a ROR or some other similar maybe that's the guy we take instead. 

So not solely drafting for need, but maybe a bias in that direction. 

I feel like in the 2023 draft they did that with every pick except the 1st round.  It was all big strong forwards or defensemen, with a goalie sprinkled in.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:39 PM, inkman said:

I mean...seriously?  Are we still acting like this is the 2005 team with a bunch of small fast players?  This team is tied for the NHL's tallest team at 6'2" with a bunch of other teams and is 11th in terms of heaviest at 201 lbs, which is only 4 lbs from the 1st team, the Islanders and Caps at 205 lbs.  Is 4 lbs that much of a difference?  Can this false narrative please just go away and die a quick painful death?

image.thumb.png.95226a9203e43e083f785bcbb2b6b604.png

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Is Savoie near Benson level? Or is he more with Kulich, Rosen and Östlund? 

I would say that Savoie is closer to Benson than Kulich is to Savoie. Östlund is a wildcard because he isn't in jrs and he plays in a men's league, really hard to compare that to any of the rest (yes ik the AHL is a men's league but it is different). 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Is Savoie near Benson level? Or is he more with Kulich, Rosen and Östlund? 

I would put healthy Savoie close to Benson but shoulder setback Savoie is closer to the others right now. He is starting at ground zero with training camp. Savoie doesn’t have the details Benson does but he has electric game breaking speed, smarts, skill and compete.

• Like (+1) 1

FTR, I really like Kulich a lot. My issue is that he doesn't effect the game enough away from the puck. Benson is almost the ideal player because he creates chaos with or without the puck he is a disruptive force and chaos is what you want. I say almost because I do wish Benson was 6'2" 205lbs but that's fine. Kulich can create chaos but he doesn't thrive on creating it. He tends to float a bit more and sit in open ice as opposed to attacking opponents and probing for weakness. It is a different style and it is a reason I worry a little about Kulich's game translating. It mirrors some of what makes Olofsson frustrating although to a lesser extent. Rosen falls into a similar category but he seems to be able to play that 200ft game where Kulich really lacks in the defensive end and could be better on puck retrievals. 

I do like Kulich and I think with good coaching and a little time, you can get a solid player out of him who probably always leans more offensive such as 65/35 or something. I hope he uses his time in the AHL well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

I would put healthy Savoie close to Benson but shoulder setback Savoie is closer to the others right now. He is starting at ground zero with training camp. Savoie doesn’t have the details Benson does but he has electric game breaking speed, smarts, skill and compete.

Ya, we will be trading some forwards in not too distant future if that's true. Gees, a wealth of talent! 

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

It is a really good question. They have similarities such as high motors, both think the game well, lots of chaos generation, and I would say both are smart. Where they are different is what you say here. Benson is smarter and that allows him to have all these finer details to his game. Savoie is faster and more dynamic on his skates. Both have solid shots and good passing. They are fun players and I hope they get a couple inches taller and pack on about 20lbs of muscle because they have dynamic traits that would allow them to be dangerous in the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

FTR, I really like Kulich a lot. My issue is that he doesn't effect the game enough away from the puck. Benson is almost the ideal player because he creates chaos with or without the puck he is a disruptive force and chaos is what you want. I say almost because I do wish Benson was 6'2" 205lbs but that's fine. Kulich can create chaos but he doesn't thrive on creating it. He tends to float a bit more and sit in open ice as opposed to attacking opponents and probing for weakness. It is a different style and it is a reason I worry a little about Kulich's game translating. It mirrors some of what makes Olofsson frustrating although to a lesser extent. Rosen falls into a similar category but he seems to be able to play that 200ft game where Kulich really lacks in the defensive end and could be better on puck retrievals. 

I do like Kulich and I think with good coaching and a little time, you can get a solid player out of him who probably always leans more offensive such as 65/35 or something. I hope he uses his time in the AHL well. 

The preseason games were my first real look at Kulich.  I agree with your assessment in that he is not nearly as present as Benson, who is around a the puck a lot.  Benson looks better in our D-zone too.  He seems to know his job is get the puck out and down the ice and the kid is driven all the time.  

Kulich has work to do and should go back to Rochester and work on playing that 200 foot game.  The fact that Kulich is getting stronger and sporting a solid frame man body is great,  now he needs to figure out how to use it across the whole ice surface and take the game to the opponent.  The AHL is the place for him right now and perhaps he gets a mid to late season call up.  

Rosen has surprised me more, especially since there was so much unwarranted discussion on his size.  Rosen is essentially even with Kulich right now, he was not at the beginning of last year.  

Savoie - what will we do with him, were should play?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I mean...seriously?  Are we still acting like this is the 2005 team with a bunch of small fast players?  This team is tied for the NHL's tallest team at 6'2" with a bunch of other teams and is 11th in terms of heaviest at 201 lbs, which is only 4 lbs from the 1st team, the Islanders and Caps at 205 lbs.  Is 4 lbs that much of a difference?  Can this false narrative please just go away and die a quick painful death?

image.thumb.png.95226a9203e43e083f785bcbb2b6b604.png

Honestly, I want every player to hit and fight.  That isn’t going to happen in 2023’s NHL.   I’ve come around, even since I posted this on July 10th.  Kevyn knows the team needs toughness.  He’s attempted to address it with Stillman, Greenway, Clifton and Erik Johnson.  In today’s anti-pugilistic climate, that may be enough.  Our beloved Dylan Cozens has taken on a papa bear sorta mentality on the team.  I’d rather him not drop the gloves to rough up other teams goons.  He’s too good for that.  

You can’t deny our team is almost entirely high skill, low physicality players.  That’s fine…for now.  I wish our role players like Girgs, Okie, and Jost were more like a traditional checking line with bruisers.  I wish Alex Tuch would assert himself more physically as he has the physique.  I hope Power incorporates more physical play into his game to make him even more effective.  They have some big bodies but they aren’t traditional heavy players.  They are high skill players.  Might be good enough, at least for the regular season. I know Kevyn has his eye on it, so hopefully if they still get pushed around this season , he does more to address it. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Honestly, I want every player to hit and fight.  That isn’t going to happen in 2023’s NHL.   I’ve come around, even since I posted this on July 10th.  Kevyn knows the team needs toughness.  He’s attempted to address it with Stillman, Greenway, Clifton and Erik Johnson.  In today’s anti-pugilistic climate, that may be enough.  Our beloved Dylan Cozens has taken on a papa bear sorta mentality on the team.  I’d rather him not drop the gloves to rough up other teams goons.  He’s too good for that.  

You can’t deny our team is almost entirely high skill, low physicality players.  That’s fine…for now.  I wish our role players like Girgs, Okie, and Jost were more like a traditional checking line with bruisers.  I wish Alex Tuch would assert himself more physically as he has the physique.  I hope Power incorporates more physical play into his game to make him even more effective.  They have some big bodies but they aren’t traditional heavy players.  They are high skill players.  Might be good enough, at least for the regular season. I know Kevyn has his eye on it, so hopefully if they still get pushed around this season , he does more to address it. 

Dahlin is probably the grittiest Sabre, other than Clifton. He just got tired of being pushed around and hit late. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.