2023 NHL Summer Trade Thread

Brawndo

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

In fairness to Power, Dahlin never had to drag Jokiharju up and down the ice that year.  😉

There has to be some sort of correction factor they can apply for that.  (Power would look much better playing with Montour, Bogosian, &/or Scandella and McCabe too.  Don't believe Dahlin got stuck with Ristolainen too often that year.  (Hoping that's not simply a memory fog kicking in.))

There is a correction factor for that built in. 

Besides Jokiharju would have been second to only Jake McCabe in terms of rankings of all those defenseman listed with this years fancy stats applied to the 2018-19 Season 

And for fun here was Dahlin and  Samuelsson this year 

IMG_0089.png

IMG_0088.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

They gave up 7th overalll for one year of Debrincat and a pick in the 14-22 range 

Seems like a desperate salary dump by new owners who likely need to trim payroll after using all their free cash flow to buy the team

Edited by matter2003

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

When Murray refused to waive for Buffalo 7OA was sent to Chicago. 

Even had Murray waived for the Sabres, 16th OA plus would have been sent

Ewww I think I blocked this out. 

Crazy how the trades you don't make are best. 

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Granato is right in theory, and you aren’t exactly wrong either though.

Offense is easier to pick up but harder to master since NHL level hockey is far more difficult than any other level on skill level alone. Defense is typically a thankless job which without the confidence gained through offense can sink most younger players. 

For most young players, it is very true that many have an offensive disposition. Arguably the best way to get those players to do in the NHL what they did to get drafted is help them score. A confident player will be more open to expanding their game. Teaching defense isn’t easy, but becomes far more doable with a player who feels confident and comfortable in their skin. There are some exceptions who pride themselves on defensive play but it takes a specific type of person to have that naturally. It’s far easier to feel defeated playing defensively than offensively for most players. If a player does everything right on offense but doesn’t score, they’ll get angry but also more driven to strike again. It’s a net neutral overall. Defensively if you play perfect yet they still score can quickly create any number of psychological issues if not handled correctly because the likelihood of a net negative occurring. Some will think their perfection wasn’t perfect enough and start over compensating. Some will start feeling vitriol to their teammates. And some will feel defeated and sort of withdraw into themselves thus only furthering the damage. 

Effectively it is far easier to raise a player’s confidence through learning offense than it is through defense since mistakes don’t necessarily end up in your net.

I partially agree but I also see how we could go back and forth on the details of this for ages. The main thing I'd add is this is where team culture and leadership comes in. If you come onto a team that prides itself on it's D and the leadership are 2 way players learning D and improving your D becomes a thing of pride and you gain confidence. In that culture a blocked shot can have more value than a missed breakaway. So it really depends on the team and the player's personality. If the culture is firmly in place though, the rookie's personality bends to it (or he is gone). This was a missing aspect for the Sabres that imo is only now showing signs of forming. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I partially agree but I also see how we could go back and forth on the details of this for ages. The main thing I'd add is this is where team culture and leadership comes in. If you come onto a team that prides itself on it's D and the leadership are 2 way players learning D and improving your D becomes a thing of pride and you gain confidence. In that culture a blocked shot can have more value than a missed breakaway. So it really depends on the team and the player's personality. If the culture is firmly in place though, the rookie's personality bends to it (or he is gone). This was a missing aspect for the Sabres that imo is only now showing signs of forming. 

Certainly, team identity most certainly plays a role in this. 

The culture you refer to there sounds like Torts lol. His issue has always been an inability to handle young players. 

In some ways you need a player culture that values defense while simultaneously having a coach who is more offensively open.

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

28 fewer points, 733k more in AAV than Tage 

I'm going to say Cozens produces more points this season than Debrincat.

Also the conditions on the pick:

Detroit can send either Boston or Detroit's 2024 to Ottawa in the deal. Boston pick is top 10 protected so if that happened, Detroit can and Boston 2025 1st instead. 

16 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

People are high on Zadina, another former 6th overall pick, but he was drafted all the way back in 2018, and he's shown nothing to make you think he is more than a 10 goal per year guy.

Maybe you missed it, but they've already walked away from Zadina, waived him and terminated his contract.  He didn't fight it.

16 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

27 year old Kubalik.  The young guys need to step up a lot to have Detroit take that next step

And Kubalik was moved in the DeBrincat trade.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Maybe you missed it, but they've already walked away from Zadina, waived him and terminated his contract.  He didn't fight it.

And Kubalik was moved in the DeBrincat trade.

I must have missed the Zadina news.  I guess my point Still is i'm not a fan of the way detroit is handling the rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I must have missed the Zadina news.  I guess my point Still is i'm not a fan of the way detroit is handling the rebuild.

The British would say they're bottling it.  We would say they're Botterilling it.

16 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Steve Y loves his 2nd line players with 50pts. LOVES THEM. 

DeBrincat I think will be more than that but look at who they draft and sign. 

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

28 fewer points, 733k more in AAV than Tage 

To be fair, he does have 2 40 goal seasons under his belt, and had 32 during the covid season (which paces for 50). Yes Tage Thompson looks to be a better deal, but that had more to do with timing which Detroit couldn’t really have done much about. Tage Thompson was signed after a 68 point season, his first anywhere near there. Debrincat has a proven track record of being that productive or even more so, so of course he gets some more money. If anything, his contract should be compared more to Skinners, as they are more comparable signings at the times of their deals.

Question. Around here it seems that some but not all think the Sabres are not a big enough team. Now that Debrincat has been traded to Detroit do you view Detroit as bigger or smaller than the Sabres on either forward or defense or both? 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Question. Around here it seems that some but not all think the Sabres are not a big enough team. Now that Debrincat has been traded to Detroit to view Detroit as bigger or smaller than the Sabres on either forward or defense or both? 

Smaller, but not necessarily in terms of physical size.  It is a team composed of spare parts that don't know how to work with each other and it will "play smaller" as a result.

I need to become the voice of truth for this:

The Buffalo Sabres are poised to become a force because far and away the have the most talented group of big men in the NHL. 

I defy you to find a group of 6’3” players anywhere close to Thompson Tuch Cozens Dahlin and Power.

We are a load!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.