NHL advises against and/or bans cause-themed warmup jerseys.

Eleven

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

The players already had the green light to skip the events and those who did got dragged through the coals for doing it. Your suggested change does nothing to mitigate that. In fact, putting them out there in a different jersey, you may as well be casting a spotlight upon them. 

I believe there is a difference in the NHL/ NHLPA issuing press releases as they did last season and the Commissioner and President of PA having a press conference to demonstrate support for players no matter what they choose to do, as the latter carries more weight. 

Unfortunately that’s a side effect of being athlete/celebrity in the social media age, there will be a spotlight on them if they choose to participate in warmups in a different jersey or if the beat reporters tweet they are not on the ice. 

Not only Athletes but everyone has the right to stand up for what they believe in and no matter what your stance is someone will vehemently disagree with that position, look at what happened in the NFL and NBA with their players in the preceding years.
Hell there  were people upset on Twitter at Tage for wearing a Chik A Fila Hat during post game interviews. 

From all accounts a vast majority of players enjoyed wearing the specialty jerseys in warm ups whether they be HFC, St Pattys Day or Pride Nights. It’s one game per season and 99% choose to participate. The players know the makeup of the room better than anyone else does, maybe let the players themselves decide if they want to continue or not. 

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

better yet let them design their own for whatever cause they'd like bring awareness too. 

I think the NFL does this with cleats, no?

Of course, by the time the NFL is done with kickoff month, fake cancer month, veterans month, no one cares anymore...

Edited by Eleven

5 hours ago, Radar said:

I would play it safe no themed jerseys. Slippery slope.

And that’s essentially what they’ve done. There are still themed jerseys they just won’t be worn on ice. The teams and the league still hold their events. As an out of market tv only fan, this will not change my viewing experience in any way. And that tv view is by far the vast majority of the fan base. At least with the Sabres broadcast , they hit on the themes very heavily throughout the game. That’s far more valuable when it comes to attention to the cause than the rarely seen pre game warmup jersey. 

So really, the only change I see coming out of this move is that we no longer get the public shaming over who did and didn’t wear the jersey. The events still go on and the players don’t have waste the energy dealing with the stupid questions about what they’re wearing, even though most people never actually saw what they were wearing. 

13 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Have a night were they let each individual player decide which themed jersey they wear for warmies... better yet let them design their own for whatever cause they'd like bring awareness too. 

This is a great idea.  You can draw attention to more causes that way.

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Zero tolerance for intolerance.

I wish that was true with everything. Every point of view, every opinion, every lifestyle, every race, every social class, every political stripe, and every religion. There is massive amounts of intolerance and ignorance if someone doesn’t think the way “you” think. For everything and everywhere. In every country around the planet. And has gone on more or less since the dawn of time. And I will take an educated stab at it and say it will continue on long after we are all dead.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Edited by Zamboni

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I believe there is a difference in the NHL/ NHLPA issuing press releases as they did last season and the Commissioner and President of PA having a press conference to demonstrate support for players no matter what they choose to do, as the latter carries more weight. 

Unfortunately that’s a side effect of being athlete/celebrity in the social media age, there will be a spotlight on them if they choose to participate in warmups in a different jersey or if the beat reporters tweet they are not on the ice. 

Not only Athletes but everyone has the right to stand up for what they believe in and no matter what your stance is someone will vehemently disagree with that position, look at what happened in the NFL and NBA with their players in the preceding years.
Hell there  were people upset on Twitter at Tage for wearing a Chik A Fila Hat during post game interviews. 

From all accounts a vast majority of players enjoyed wearing the specialty jerseys in warm ups whether they be HFC, St Pattys Day or Pride Nights. It’s one game per season and 99% choose to participate. The players know the makeup of the room better than anyone else does, maybe let the players themselves decide if they want to continue or not. 

The boldedis a great thought in theory, but not sure that it'd work in actual practice.  Because pretty sure somebody pays the league/ teams a pretty penny to hold at least some, if not all, of these theme nights.  Having the players pull a Johnny Upton on the runway will not likely go over well with the sponsors. ;)

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I wish that was true with everything. Every point of view, every opinion, every lifestyle, every race, every social class, every political stripe, and every religion. There is massive amounts of intolerance and ignorance if someone doesn’t think the way “you” think. For everything and everywhere. In every country around the planet. And has gone on more or less since the dawn of time. And I will take an educated stab at it and say it will continue on long after we are all dead.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

So why don't we just keep our politics ,our religious views, our sexual views off of jerseys ect. I come to sports to escape this. It has zero to due with tolerance or intolerance.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The boldedis a great thought in theory, but not sure that it'd work in actual practice.  Because pretty sure somebody pays the league/ teams a pretty penny to hold at least some, if not all, of these theme nights.  Having the players pull a Johnny Upton on the runway will not likely go over well with the sponsors. 😉

You mean at the Chief's fashion show?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Radar said:

So why don't we just keep our politics ,our religious views, our sexual views off of jerseys ect. I come to sports to escape this. It has zero to due with tolerance or intolerance.

Because people like to make everything political. Everything.

If players wore a chicken wing jersey. Someone would come along and bitch about the lack of respect and representation for the beef on weck. And then one side would feel disenfranchised. The other would feel diminished. And then someone somewhere would make it a right vs. left issue because …. Why not 😂

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Ric Seiling was a Canadian ice hockey player from 1976 to 1987.

Seiling was a very good  player with 6 straight 19+ goal seasons, including a 30 goal season, while playing mostly in a checking role.  As a guitarist he could really rock too.  

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Seiling was a very good  player with 6 straight 19+ goal seasons, including a 30 goal season, while playing mostly in a checking role.  As a guitarist he could really rock too.  

He dove a lot, innit? He was not a favorite of mine for some reason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.