Mogilny Snubbed Again

rickshaw

It’s unreal. I know Almo took  some seasons off, and was an enigma, but it doesn’t matter if he was liked or not, or if he wasted his talent, his stats still are more than enough to get in. It makes the HHOF look stupid tbh and spiteful.

He should get in on being a builder alone. Crazy.

Article in the Buffalo News suggests that Alex may be getting snubbed because he has a history of not showing up for events where he is honored.  I guess he’s still a bit of a recluse.

Shame cuz he’s definitely worthy if Turgeon is worthy.  Sneaky Pete definitely makes it the Hall of the Very Good.

• Agree 1

Outside of his HOF worthy play on the ice, while he wasn’t the first Russian to play in the NHL, Mogilny had the nuts to open the floodgates of Russian’s playing in the NHL. The NHL would’ve been a very different league without Alex. Plus, a 76 goal season!?

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Better than Barrasso, better than Vernon and better than Turgeon.

At least his omission is starting to get attention, unlike an even more glaring snub: Rick Martin, who was arguably the best left wing of his era.

100% agree

15 minutes ago, Rico7 said:

100% agree

In 1999, _The Hockey News_ had an article on first line and second line players of the decade.   Rick Martin was 2nd line LW of the 1970's.

• Agree 1

Mogilny was arguably the best player out of him, Turgeon, Barasso, and especially Vernon. Vernon was never, at any point in his career, one of the best at his position. From his era, I would put Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, CuJo, Barasso, Belfour, Fuhr, and Richter ahead of Vernon. Maybe even Vanbiesbrouck. And a few others you could throw in who had shorter peaks - Khabibulin, etc. He was a little above average for a really long time. I don't get it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Mogilny was arguably the best player out of him, Turgeon, Barasso, and especially Vernon. Vernon was never, at any point in his career, one of the best at his position. From his era, I would put Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, CuJo, Barasso, Belfour, Fuhr, and Richter ahead of Vernon. Maybe even Vanbiesbrouck. And a few others you could throw in who had shorter peaks - Khabibulin, etc. He was a little above average for a really long time. I don't get it. 

Mike Vernon is Canadian and also played with a Canadian NHL team for a time. If you are Canadian or spent your career with a Canadian franchise, the bar to the HOF is lower. 

And people, don’t @ me. It just is. 

11 hours ago, kas23 said:

Outside of his HOF worthy play on the ice, while he wasn’t the first Russian to play in the NHL, Mogilny had the nuts to open the floodgates of Russian’s playing in the NHL. The NHL would’ve been a very different league without Alex. Plus, a 76 goal season!?

I bet Putin is still threatening HOF voters.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Mike Vernon is Canadian and also played with a Canadian NHL team for a time. If you are Canadian or spent your career with a Canadian franchise, the bar to the HOF is lower. 

And people, don’t @ me. It just is. 

He won a Cup in Calgary, right?

• Agree 1

I have vivid memories of Mogilny, Bure and Fedorov at the World Juniors. I think that was the best line I’ve ever seen at that level.

I didn’t get Sabres games when Mogilny was at his best so I would only see him on HNIC and sports highlights. Reading the Hockey News was a great source too.

I did get to see him more when he went to the Canucks. His 55 goal 100+ point season there was a really good one. Crazy skill.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

But should it? I don’t like how team success translates to being deserving of such an individual honor. 

The eras are slightly different, but did you know Ryan Miller had more career wins and a better career save percentage than Vernon?

In the eyes of most voters, Vernon is more impressive than Hasek because he has more Cup wins because 1 win was against Roy and he has a 2nd one besides.

Not only did I know that Ryan Miller has better stats than Vernon by raw numbers, but I have stats for Vernon against his contemporaries and normalised by era with a 5 year moving average through 2012-3.  Vernon was very good in 1989, but his career stats are merely above average and Miller is still better.

Look at it this way: in spite of the long-term evaluation decidedly flipping the opposite way, Bill Barber is in the HHoF over Rick Martin.  That is due to who won in 1975 and the goodwill that Bobby Clarke gets for breaking Yakushev's ankle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’ve read that he was only good in contract years, or only played when he felt like it, etc.  It doesn’t matter. Mogilny probably could’ve been a greater player had he had the drive but his stats and accomplishments still easily warrant a spot in the Hall.

Honestly, it’s getting a lot of attention and really making the HHOF look kinda bush league. They’re embarrassing themselves excluding him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.