Michael Peca is joining the NY Rangers as an Asst Coach

Brawndo

On 6/19/2023 at 12:45 AM, dudacek said:

Eleven is smart guy, I respect most of his opinions. But he has no more ***** clue whether or not Don Granato can coach a non-development team than I do.  Because neither of us has ever seen him in that situation.

Yeah, that's why I am cautious about it.  I'm not demanding that he be replaced.  I think there are things he needs to work on.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:07 AM, LGR4GM said:

I don't agree and I'm not going to agree. Calling him just a development coach is just not true. 

There is an underlying bias there whether you want to admit it or not. This board and in this case you, constantly say "he's just a development coach" even though we have evidence that's not true. Granato not pulling goalies is such a low bar because what's he supposed to do? Pull Comrie for UPL? Pull UPL for Comrie? That's like peeing into the wind and wondering why you're wet. 

Line combos? They scored the 3rd most goals in the league. Defense? He only had limited options there. 

Granato is fine. He did exactly what he needed to last year. He got the team to consistently play their style. He wanted them to be free offensively first and has said as much. We watched them adjust down the stretch. We watched them grow when the pressure ramped up. 

"Jump from a development coach" is such a low blow for a guy who has won and just about every level of hockey except one. Don Granato isn't just a "development coach" and I stand by saying your take on him is bad. 

AGAIN you're putting words in my mouth.  You've gone from incorrectly accusing me of only wanting established big-name coaches (I note you did not address that inaccuracy) to now telling me that I think Granato is "JUST" a development coach.  What I've said is that I know he is successful as a development coach and I wonder whether he can be the right guy moving forward.  

Please stop mischaracterizing what I write.  Thank you.  

As for his in-game decision-making, if you're satisfied with it, you're satisfied with it.  I am not.  3d most goals in the league doesn't mean anything if it doesn't turn into wins because he's not matching up defensively.  I agree that a lot of the problems are based in the roster, but there are matchups and changes that can be made, even at forward, to combat other teams' strengths, and I didn't see him make those moves last year.

Edited by Eleven
  • Disagree 1

46 minutes ago, Curt said:

This could be kind of bad, but I remember how upset a lot of people were when Chris Taylor was replaced by Appert.  Things haven’t been so bad since.  I think it will be ok.

You have to let your coaches move on when opportunities come up.  

Peca or Webby could both end up back with Buffalo someday.   Right now they get better experience by taking on new roles of higher responsibility in new organizations.   

Karmanos is the AHL GM, he just might know a guy or two.  

On 6/18/2023 at 6:48 PM, Eleven said:

This doesn't mean the coaching staff is right for this team (I know PTR is being tongue-in-cheek).  Granato is a development coach who has serious problems to address when it comes to tactics and maybe strategy as well, and that has permeated the rest of the coaching staff (as it naturally should).  I'm not sure that Peca is the answer to the problem or that he would be a good "coach-whisperer," but Granato is out of his depth often enough.  The fact that he's the best the Sabres have managed since firing Ruff is of no moment; I think he's already done what he's good at.

IF--and that's an IF--Peca is the right guy to take over in-game tactics, promote him; otherwise, gotta let him chase his dream.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

AGAIN you're putting words in my mouth.  You've gone from incorrectly accusing me of only wanting established big-name coaches (I note you did not address that inaccuracy) to now telling me that I think Granato is "JUST" a development coach.  What I've said is that I know he is successful as a development coach and I wonder whether he can be the right guy moving forward.  

Please stop mischaracterizing what I write.  Thank you.  

As for his in-game decision-making, if you're satisfied with it, you're satisfied with it.  I am not.  3d most goals in the league doesn't mean anything if it doesn't turn into wins because he's not matching up defensively.  I agree that a lot of the problems are based in the roster, but there are matchups and changes that can be made, even at forward, to combat other teams' strengths, and I didn't see him make those moves last year.

You said and I quote "Granato is a development coach" and I take exception to that characterization of him. If you really want argue that the word "just" is unfair, fine. But you said and I quote a 2nd time "Granato is a development coach" and you proceed to imply heavily that his lack of ability beyond being a development coach has resulted in the other coaches being somehow downgraded because of his tactics. I don't agree. I don't think I mischaracterized what you wrote at all. I think I took a sentence in context and disagreed with it. With or without the word "just" hardly changes the tone, underlying meaning, or the sentiment expressed therein. 

I don't think Granato has serious tactic issues. I think he went into the season with a plan to allow the younger guys on the roster to play in all situations and to take their lumps just like how he kept playing Dahlin the year before, even though in November there was talk on this very board of trading young Dahlin away because of his play. What I am saying is they weren't matching up early in the year and doing some of the finer details of putting line x against line y because they wanted line z to get all the experience they could. That is why we saw it more towards the end of the year. Granato has to upgrade his way of coaching the strategies of the game this year, the pp and pk have issues. That said calling Don Granato "a development coach" is code IMPO. I see it on here often from posters that seem to heavily imply or say that DG is basically keeping the seat warm for the next guy when we "get serious" about winning. I think that is false. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Peca or Webby could both end up back with Buffalo someday.   Right now they get better experience by taking on new roles of higher responsibility in new organizations.   

Karmanos is the AHL GM, he just might know a guy or two.  

I just think it's  Ridiculous that buffalo isn't gonna make any coaching moves  And are comfortable with the way things ended 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

This could be kind of bad, but I remember how upset a lot of people were when Chris Taylor was replaced by Appert.  Things haven’t been so bad since.  I think it will be ok.

The Amerks have rebounded well and Appert/Peca/Weber have been a big reason why. But, so too have Quinn, JJP, Ruotsalainen, Kulich, Rosen, and Rousek. As well as Subban and Houser. Taylor never seemed to trust his rookies as much, but it could be argued he didn't have the likes of Quinn, Kulich, etc. for any breakout seasons as they'd have already been in Buffalo. He got the likes of Nylander, Olofsson, and partial seasons of Mitts and baby Tage. 

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Precisely. And the best of luck to Peca with his promotion. Perhaps one day he's promoted again and is head coach in Rochester or Buffalo. Perhaps he'll lift the Cup with the Rangers or elsewhere.

It must be noted that Taylor didn't leave for an opportunity/promotion. He, his staff, and a bunch of scouts were purged for the Covid-offseason cost purposes. He later took a promotion job with Ruff and the youthful Devils have done just fine with him on the staff. (And Brunette will get all the credit for this last year, but the previous season the offensive metrics were already there and the Devils were sunk by horrific goaltending.)

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

The Amerks have rebounded well and Appert/Peca/Weber have been a big reason why. But, so too have Quinn, JJP, Ruotsalainen, Kulich, Rosen, and Rousek. As well as Subban and Houser. Taylor never seemed to trust his rookies as much, but it could be argued he didn't have the likes of Quinn, Kulich, etc. for any breakout seasons as they'd have already been in Buffalo. He got the likes of Nylander, Olofsson, and partial seasons of Mitts and baby Tage. 

Precisely. And the best of luck to Peca with his promotion. Perhaps one day he's promoted again and is head coach in Rochester or Buffalo. Perhaps he'll lift the Cup with the Rangers or elsewhere.

It must be noted that Taylor didn't leave for an opportunity/promotion. He, his staff, and a bunch of scouts were purged for the Covid-offseason cost purposes. He later took a promotion job with Ruff and the youthful Devils have done just fine with him on the staff. (And Brunette will get all the credit for this last year, but the previous season the offensive metrics were already there and the Devils were sunk by horrific goaltending.)

One thing Taylor seems very good at (among other items) is he seems to run a quality PP.  The Sabres DESPERATELY need a coach that can do that.  (And, no, don't expect to see him coming back.)

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I just think it's  Ridiculous that buffalo isn't gonna make any coaching moves  And are comfortable with the way things ended 

Man you are intense on this.  I expect they are happy with the progress made last season but hopefully they are not satisfied with it either.  

They will be hiring two coaches for Rochester, the price of success. As for the NHL coaching staff, it looks like no changes so far.  

Love Peca. Wish he was still here.

Continue to scoff at the idea anyone here has sufficient knowledge to determine whether or not he represents a significant upgrade on anyone still with the organization as a coach

You like the player and the man.

• Like (+1) 2

Glad Peca got promoted, but would be glad anyone from the organization getting promoted. I loved him as a player. Everyone did and this is probably where the sourness is coming from. I know next to nothing on his coaching abilities and I don’t recall there being anything out in the public domain on his coaching prowess. Being a player and a coach is different. Still, the Sabres couldn’t just keep adding assistant coaches. There was no open position for him. 

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Love Peca. Wish he was still here.

Continue to scoff at the idea anyone here has sufficient knowledge to determine whether or not he represents a significant upgrade on anyone still with the organization as a coach

You like the player and the man.

Agreed.  There is way too much energy being expended in regard to someone we know so little about performance and role-wise.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You said and I quote "Granato is a development coach" and I take exception to that characterization of him. If you really want argue that the word "just" is unfair, fine. But you said and I quote a 2nd time "Granato is a development coach" and you proceed to imply heavily that his lack of ability beyond being a development coach has resulted in the other coaches being somehow downgraded because of his tactics.

I think you perceived a cause-and-effect that I didn't intend.  Maybe it's my writing.

I do NOT think that Granato's lack (in MY mind not yours) of solid tactical decision-making is a RESULT of him being a "development coach."

I DO think that he's been a good development coach and needs work and/or outside help on tactics if he's going to be the right coach for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.