According to Pierre Lebrun, Sabres have interest in Brett Pesce.

inkman

Write up about his performance this season.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2023/06/14/carolina-hurricanes-offseason-grades-brett-pesce/

Very positive for the most part.

Defense first guy who can contribute but lets his partner join the rush. Second most minutes on the Canes D. Gets all of the tough matchups. Among their leaders in hits and blocked shots.

Sounds like a top 4 RHD that the Sabres could use.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Git ‘er done, KA….

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2023/06/14/carolina-hurricanes-offseason-grades-brett-pesce/

Defense first guy who can contribute but lets his partner join the rush. Second most minutes on the Canes D. Gets all of the tough matchups. Among their leaders in hits and blocked shots.

Is he available? And why would that be?

And if they are really willing to spend money on a 1st rate #4 RHD, maybe that means they are ready to go for it and possibly add a couple more vets? Like a goalkeeper or 3rd line center or a 4th line rugged forechecker?

Maybe KA thinks it’s time?  I do… or, at least, I think the fans of Buffalo deserve to go to the playoffs and that we really have a good team that with a few changes could go deep next season with any luck….

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

5 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Git ‘er done, KA….

Is he available? And why would that be?

The writer positions Pesce as a big trade piece to acquire someone or something.  That would mean a roster player and/or a high draft pick from the Sabres.  So who from the Sabres would they be interested in?

6 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

UFA in July ‘24.

He switched agents to negotiate the extension. This guy is Matthews’ agent as well so $$$ is what it is all about. I guess Pesce has felt he was underpaid so he now wants to cash in. The Canes are pretty frugal so this is why he may be moved.

If the Sabres get him and he is extended, it may be a tough negotiation, not as pleasant as TNT, Mule and Cozens.

I’m curious of what the Canes want in return for one year of Pesce.

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

The writer positions Pesce as a big trade piece to acquire someone or something.  That would mean a roster player and/or a high draft pick from the Sabres.  So who from the Sabres would they be interested in?

Maybe GMKA would offer VO along with other assets?  Seems the Canes had some challenges scoring goals (in the playoffs), meaning they could use more sniper help on their roster.

I don't know anything about him, but I would have to assume a contract extension would have be sorted out before we trade for him? I guess it depends on what we give up. If we just bring him in for 1 year and then have to either pay or let him go, that seems counter to the way KA has operated with most trades thus far.

• Like (+1) 1

As with Hellebuyck, KA needs to kick the tires on all available top 4 until he finds the right guy for this team.  He is going to have to pay to get what the team needs, but the window is open and he needs to get the right pieces.  

All the talk going forward needs to be about winning the Cup.  

31 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Maybe GMKA would offer VO along with other assets?  Seems the Canes had some challenges scoring goals (in the playoffs), meaning they could use more sniper help on their roster.

VO would be the tiniest piece of what the Canes would even want. A top 4 Dman is going to require a heck of a lot more than a guy that fans could even care less about being on this team. 

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

VO would be the tiniest piece of what the Canes would even want. A top 4 Dman is going to require a heck of a lot more than a guy that fans could even care less about being on this team. 

VO, 39 overall, a prospect is probably the price. They can't re- sign pesce so it makes some sense to trade him this summer when he read value. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't believe any of these so called "leaks" like we've seen every time buffalo does things out of the blue.

They haven't leaked anything since the tim murray days 

The Vegas and Eichel stuff was leaked and then denied for months. It kept coming up. 

• dislike 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

VO, 39 overall, a prospect is probably the price. They can't re- sign pesce so it makes some sense to trade him this summer when he read value. 

The Vegas and Eichel stuff was leaked and then denied for months. It kept coming up. 

They were one of the teams to allow the surgery so it was  obvious from the beginning imo

I wonder if we have any other players repped by Moldaver. Guy sounds like a hard ass and wouldn’t exactly fit into KA’s model of signing team friendly contracts. Pesce has no connection to the Sabres, so don’t see why he would sign a fair contract with them. The Canes don’t overpay for players and neither do we. Don’t know why this would change. This is probably little more than KA inquiring what the cost of his next contract would be. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I wonder if we have any other players repped by Moldaver. Guy sounds like a hard ass and wouldn’t exactly fit into KA’s model of signing team friendly contracts. Pesce has no connection to the Sabres, so don’t see why he would sign a fair contract with them. The Canes don’t overpay for players and neither do we. Don’t know why this would change. This is probably little more than KA inquiring what the cost of his next contract would be. 

I thought Pesce knew Granato. 

Sabres are fishing for Pesce, hoping to land a big one.

I think he would help a lot, he would seem to be a perfect partner for Power. The same old question pops up, what do they have to give up and ho much money and term does he want.

He’s a huge upgrade but I would hate to have him come in and disrupt the salary structure that KA is trying to install.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Sabres are fishing for Pesce, hoping to land a big one.

I think he would help a lot, he would seem to be a perfect partner for Power. The same old question pops up, what do they have to give up and ho much money and term does he want.

He’s a huge upgrade but I would hate to have him come in and disrupt the salary structure that KA is trying to install.

I'll worry about the salary structure later. Let's get Pesce in first and then go from there. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.