Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seattle waived Dreidger. Remember when he was a popular choice for goalie around here?  

Maybe he's the guy Tampa takes as fill in. 

He was bad on a very good defensive team last year.

I think TB will try and set their sights higher but I don’t know who will be available

30 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He was bad on a very good defensive team last year.

I think TB will try and set their sights higher but I don’t know who will be available

He was working through the injury/recovery. Arguably he is bad, but I think Tampa will want a veteran who they can use and then cast away when the big guy comes back. Wouldn't be the first washed up vet that team has gotten mileage out of. It's what they do. 

15 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Scheif and Helle both extend for 7 x 8.5m.

Wow.  Good news for you.

Scheifele not overly surprised with.  Did NOT see a Hellebucyk extension.  Guess that significantly changes the calculus about what extent of a rebuild/retool is necesary in the near future.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wow.  Good news for you.

Scheifele not overly surprised with.  Did NOT see a Hellebucyk extension.  Guess that significantly changes the calculus about what extent of a rebuild/retool is necesary in the near future.

The Jets weren't headed for a rebuild as evidenced on the return for PLD not to mention how many players said that they werent interested in a rebuild.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hellebuyck contract is ok, that Scheifele contract to a 30+ skater is kinda yikes. Might end up balancing out the steal they had with his first several years under contact. His defence isn’t bad, so much as it’s atrocious. My eye test where Scheifele is concerned is of course bountiful but there’s also this 

69E11EDF-FEEC-4F8B-9031-7F8F3E023C52.thumb.jpeg.a5cca14b3862c7bc12ca0ed8f179b3d0.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hellebuyck contract is ok, that Scheifele contract to a 30+ skater is kinda yikes. Might end up balancing out the steal they had with his first several years under contact. His defence isn’t bad, so much as it’s atrocious. My eye test where Scheifele is concerned is of course bountiful but there’s also this 

69E11EDF-FEEC-4F8B-9031-7F8F3E023C52.thumb.jpeg.a5cca14b3862c7bc12ca0ed8f179b3d0.jpeg

Agree on the money going to a 30+ year old is kinda bad. They just might look at as the cost of business of staying playoff competitive the next 2-3 years.  Once you are into the last couple years of the contract, they might be bad so it won't matter much.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I can’t see either contract going well over the long run. Plus we’ll all learn if Schiefele was part of the cancer in the locker room or if it was purely Wheeler and PLD

PLD wasn't mentioned to be a cancer.

He just wanted out.

25 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Agree on the money going to a 30+ year old is kinda bad. They just might look at as the cost of business of staying playoff competitive the next 2-3 years.  Once you are into the last couple years of the contract, they might be bad so it won't matter much.

I certainly think the Hellebuyck contract makes a ton of sense in that context. Especially because the Jets, given their market, aren’t a team that I believe thinks they can risk LT rebuilds, definitely not lightly, but maybe not...at all? Maybe one per GM? But they’ve only had one GM. These extensions represent doubling down again on their OG core from 12 years ago. It’s somewhat frightening and somewhat.. exceptionally respectable.

make no mistake, this is their “we want guys who want to be here”, see, look at these long term guys doubling down to stay. For Chevy a triumphant “SEE, Wheeler was wolf in the hen house, and he’s gone now.” 

Sticking point for me is is my anti-Scheifele bias. Whereas I believe Hellebuyck to be probably elite, I’m not convinced Scheifele is good

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I certainly think the Hellebuyck contract makes a ton of sense in that context. Especially because the Jets, given their market, aren’t a team that I believe thinks they can risk LT rebuilds, definitely not lightly, but maybe not...at all? Maybe one per GM? But they’ve only had one GM. These extensions represent doubling down again on their OG core from 12 years ago. It’s somewhat frightening and somewhat.. exceptionally respectable.

make no mistake, this is their “we want guys who want to be here”, see, look at these long term guys doubling down to stay. For Chevy a triumphant “SEE, Wheeler was wolf in the hen house, and he’s gone now.” 

Sticking point for me is is my anti-Scheifele bias. Whereas I believe Hellebuyck to be probably elite, I’m not convinced Scheifele is good

Until last season, besides Crosby, Scheifele was the only player that had a ppg in the last 6 seasons. His D is suspect but so are a lot of O players. 

He definitely would have got more on the open market.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Until last season, besides Crosby, Scheifele was the only player that had a ppg in the last 6 seasons. His D is suspect but so are a lot of O players. 

He definitely would have got more on the open market.

His d doesn’t fit in with the Usual Suspects though it’s more x-men origins: Wolverine out there in the defensive zone.

in all honesty I wager to say the Days of him being the Future are Past 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

His d doesn’t fit in with the Usual Suspects though it’s more x-men origins: Wolverine out there in the defensive zone.

in all honesty I wager to say the Days of him being the Future are Past 

Sorry, I'm old. I don't get the reference?

Just now, Thorny said:

By all means continue linking players with better defence and better offence 

Linking Offensive players with poor D metrics?