Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Measured. 
GMKA has been honest about his approach to draft and develop. And build from within.  

But that doesn’t account for goaltending in 2023. Specific to the crease, the verb for me is “gulp.” I’m not jealous of any goaltending transaction made across the league this off-season, and it is too early to predict the word irresponsible, so I guess I’ll say worried.  

Measuring how to most-quickly sign out of outlook and get to the lake maybe 

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And, at the same time, you have subtracted O’Reilly, Kerfoot, Bunting, Holl, Acciari, Schenn, Simmonds, Engvall Sandin and Aston-Reese, some of whom played significant roles in last year’s team.

Not to mention half of the roster that they turned over at the trade deadline. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

So a straight salary dump, more or less?

The Sharks get 5 NHL players, some of whom will be fine for a year or 2, none of who will make a difference now or later, and most of which they probably could have had for free.

Who’s better: 25 year-old Thompson Dahlin Tuch Cozens and Power or 35-year-old Crosby Karlsson Smith Malkin and Letang?

Playoff race this year should settle a lot of arguments between the go-for-it and develop folks.

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Pittsburgh is going to do something gloriously stupid, isn't it?

One last kick at the can with their core and the only thing of value they moved was a first. 

This actually looks like a very good if not great deal for them. 

It probably puts them back into the playoffs next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One last kick at the can with their core and the only thing of value they moved was a first. 

Unsure, better than last year with Karlsson > Petry but everyone is a year older as well.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This is a sick trade for the Pens. Just sick. Jealous of their fans a tad 

Their window is still wide open. Anyone can go peruse Sid’s stats. he’s still goating it up, maybe better then ever 2-way

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

So the other teams will look to improve, too? They won’t just roll over and die, granting us a playoff spot?

You gotta MAKE it happen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

So the other teams will look to improve, too? They won’t just roll over and die, granting us a playoff spot?

You gotta MAKE it happen.

Pretty sure you’re talking about organizations here.

But I think that last sentence needs to apply to the players, first and foremost.

I hope Dahlin and Cozens and Tuch and Thompson and Power and Levi and the rest are looking at this and understanding that this is the mountain they have to climb if they want to reach the top. This and that Hedman Stamkos Kucherov Vasilevskiy Point group.

They are are the ones who will have to match up with those players, then beat them.

If they are depending on Kevyn bringing in mercenaries to do it for them, it was never going to happen anyway.

EDIT: As soon as I posted I realized some people are going to read this as an absolution of Adams and it’s not intended as that at all, he still needs to do his ***** job.

Its just an acknowledgement that our core is already here and that if we ever want to be taken seriously, that’s what our core needs to be shooting for.

Edited by dudacek

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

Pretty sure you’re talking about organizations here.

But I think that last sentence needs to apply to the players, first and foremost.

I hope Dahlin and Cozens and Tuch and Thompson and Power and Levi and the rest are looking at this and understanding that this is the mountain they have to climb if they want to reach the top. This and that Hedman Stamkos Kucherov Vasilevskiy Point group.

They are are the ones who will have to match up with those players, then beat them.

If they are depending on Kevyn bringing in mercenaries to do it for them, it was never going to happen anyway.

EDIT: As soon as I posted I realized some people are going to read this as an absolution of Adams and it’s not intended as that at all, he still needs to do his ***** job.

Its just an acknowledgement that our core is already here and that if we ever want to be taken seriously, that’s what our core needs to be shooting for.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the young core being there and them being the core going forward but depth is still a problem at this stage and I think making a few more "mercenary" moves in key spots would have been a good strategy. 

The fear of course is that if it comes up short too many times some of that core might think they are better off elsewhere. We've gone through that before, so when we start ascending it is important to do everything you can to make that a success. Every mountain climbing expedition out there knows you do better if you hire a few seasoned sherpas to guide you to the summit. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think anyone would disagree with the young core being there and them being the core going forward but depth is still a problem at this stage and I think making a few more "mercenary" moves in key spots would have been a good strategy. 

The fear of course is that if it comes up short too many times some of that core might think they are better off elsewhere. We've gone through that before, so when we start ascending it is important to do everything you can to make that a success. Every mountain climbing expedition out there knows you do better if you hire a few seasoned sherpas to guide you to the summit. 

Even Kevyn Adams would agree.

It'just that many aren't too certain of his choices.

• Like (+1) 1