Does the NHL need to change the rules for expansion teams to make it harder for them?

matter2003

On 6/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, Porous Five Hole said:

I have doubts that the arena would be ready by the start of the 2025 season. While it sounds far off, it’s only 16 months from today.

14,000 seat Dickies Arena in Fort Worth had their ribbon cutting 18 months after ground breaking.  Dickies had strong financial, civic and governmental backing.  I would think 18 months probably represents a best case scenario.

Edited by Doohickie

People can be pissed about Vegas but two teams really helped them get so good quickly. The Florida Panthers for Smith and Marchy and the Minnesota Wild for Tuch and Haula. All 4 players were instrumental in getting us to the Cup in year one and Tuch and Haula were moved later on for Eichel and Roy. You can blame two bad General Manager’s for getting taken!

34 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

People can be pissed about Vegas but two teams really helped them get so good quickly. The Florida Panthers for Smith and Marchy and the Minnesota Wild for Tuch and Haula. All 4 players were instrumental in getting us to the Cup in year one and Tuch and Haula were moved later on for Eichel and Roy. You can blame two bad General Manager’s for getting taken!

"Us"? Yea no. There is no us. You're either a Vegas fan or a Sabres fan. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"Us"? Yea no. There is no us. You're either a Vegas fan or a Sabres fan. 

He’s talked like that several times. He’s a big Vegas fan who is originally from Buffalo. He no longer has strong feelings or fandom to Buffalo sports teams. It’s more casual or mild now.

Not sure how anyone can get mad about what it took for cup teams. Buffalo has been the biggest component involved in some of the biggest trades that quickly turned into a cup for a team (ROR, Eichel, almost Reinhart). If anything teams should be mad at us for giving away elite talent that usually isn’t available in the trade market to put teams over the top. 

But really, Vegas getting March and Stone and circumventing the cap is the type of crap that never should have happened. 

Edited by triumph_communes

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

He’s talked like that several times. He’s a big Vegas fan who is originally from Buffalo. He no longer has strong feelings or fandom to Buffalo sports teams. It’s more casual or mild now.

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

People can fan the way they want to.  What works for 1 doesn't have to be right for another.

No, you don't refer to your supposed 2nd team as "us". What I am saying is he is a vegas fan with a mild interest in Buffalo. That's fine but you say "us" when referring to vegas lets all be clear, you are vegas fan. It's kinda like how Perrault is a Bruins fan. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, you don't refer to your supposed 2nd team as "us". What I am saying is he is a vegas fan with a mild interest in Buffalo. That's fine but you say "us" when referring to vegas lets all be clear, you are vegas fan. It's kinda like how Perrault is a Bruins fan. 

Well, again, people can fan the way they want to. 

Personally rarely use the term "us" when writing about the Sabres because other than a contract to give the Sabres a LOT of money to sit in seats X & Y for up to 41 RS games and up to 60% of the Sabres playoff games and membership on the currently dormant Fan Council don't have any official affiliation with the Sabres and IMHO it looks strange to write "us" when referring to an organization where there is only that small an amount of overlap in the Venn diagram.  But almost always refer to them as "us" and "we" when speaking about them after it has been made obvious the Sabres are the subject of the discussion, because that feels right and spend way more time on them than many family members and friends (that probably really can't be good, but it is what it is).

But personally don't give anybody flack for using "us" when talking about the Sabres because for many of us the Sabres in many ways feel like family, so "us" it is for a lot of people when discussing them.

That SBF doesn't fan the way either of us do is his thing.  He grew up a Sabres fan, still is, and now lives in a town that got it's own team and he's a fan of them as well.  Can understand it.  Personally wouldn't go that route - Sabres would and will continue to be #1 as long as they're based out of Erie County regardless of where my hat is hanging.  But were they to ever move, they'd be dead IMHO.  (Fortunately, don't see that ever happening.)

It's really not a big deal, and you will do what you want and view others through your own lens.  (And the rest of us will as well.)  It's just the OP that started our brief little discussion came across a bit harsh (probably not the correct word here, it's actually a bit harsher than necessary, but have already spent too much time broaching this subject), again IMHO, and wanted to reply.  

Expect will let you have the last word on this; having spoken my peace.  (Though reserve the right to change that stance.  😉)

Regards.

🍻

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, again, people can fan the way they want to. 

Personally rarely use the term "us" when writing about the Sabres because other than a contract to give the Sabres a LOT of money to sit in seats X & Y for up to 41 RS games and up to 60% of the Sabres playoff games and membership on the currently dormant Fan Council don't have any official affiliation with the Sabres and IMHO it looks strange to write "us" when referring to an organization where there is only that small an amount of overlap in the Venn diagram.  But almost always refer to them as "us" and "we" when speaking about them after it has been made obvious the Sabres are the subject of the discussion, because that feels right and spend way more time on them than many family members and friends (that probably really can't be good, but it is what it is).

But personally don't give anybody flack for using "us" when talking about the Sabres because for many of us the Sabres in many ways feel like family, so "us" it is for a lot of people when discussing them.

That SBF doesn't fan the way either of us do is his thing.  He grew up a Sabres fan, still is, and now lives in a town that got it's own team and he's a fan of them as well.  Can understand it.  Personally wouldn't go that route - Sabres would and will continue to be #1 as long as they're based out of Erie County regardless of where my hat is hanging.  But were they to ever move, they'd be dead IMHO.  (Fortunately, don't see that ever happening.)

It's really not a big deal, and you will do what you want and view others through your own lens.  (And the rest of us will as well.)  It's just the OP that started our brief little discussion came across a bit harsh (probably not the correct word here, it's actually a bit harsher than necessary, but have already spent too much time broaching this subject), again IMHO, and wanted to reply.  

Expect will let you have the last word on this; having spoken my peace.  (Though reserve the right to change that stance.  😉)

Regards.

🍻

Love this take. I've been in middle Tennessee for over two decades, nashville since I retired, preds season ticket holder. Doesn't make me any less a Sabres fan. If SBF takes some joy, even pride, from his 2nd(other?) favorite team winning the cup I say good for him. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

Love this take. I've been in middle Tennessee for over two decades, nashville since I retired, preds season ticket holder. Doesn't make me any less a Sabres fan. If SBF takes some joy, even pride, from his 2nd(other?) favorite team winning the cup I say good for him. 

Correction… It’s not his second or other team. Vegas is his primary first team. And yes he can be any kind of fan he wants to be.

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Correction… It’s not his second or other team. Vegas is his primary first team. And yes he can be any kind of fan he wants to be.

Clearly, hence why he said "us" 

You want to be a bandwagon fan and have 2 teams, you are more than welcome to do it. Go for it. I won't stop you. To each their own. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.