A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

26 minutes ago, shrader said:

That’s not the question. Hell, we have Perreault who made the hall of fame and only played here. I’m looking for hall of famers who spent their entire careers with one team that relocated. So Sakic in Quebec/Colorado. 

Ok, sorry. I didn’t read the whole thread.

I can’t think of any at the moment. Those Golden Seals, Rockies, Barons, Scouts teams didn’t have great rosters.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Yeah, there’s plenty in #1. I don’t really care about that portion. I only outlined it in that order because I wasn’t sure how best to word it. 

Sakic has to be the only one, unless there’s some crazy situation from the early NHL days. Maybe Doan sneaks in, but I just don’t see it happening. 

Wilfred "Shorty" Green

Started out with the Hamilton Tigers and moved to the New York Americans with the rest of the team.

No, did not know that without looking it up.  There may be 1 or 2 others like him, but haven't come across another yet.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Wilfred "Shorty" Green

Started out with the Hamilton Tigers and moved to the New York Americans with the rest of the team.

No, did not know that without looking it up.  There may be 1 or 2 others like him, but haven't come across another yet.

Ahhh, the older brother of Red Green (I’m not joking). I knew there had to be someone. But wow, a 4 year career got him into the hall. 

And bonus points for playing in two countries. 

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Ahhh, the older brother of Red Green (I’m not joking). I knew there had to be someone. But wow, a 4 year career got him into the hall. 

And bonus points for paying in two countries. 

So the two HoFers who played for the same team their entire career while it moved also played in both the US and Canada.  That feels very much against the odds.

Oh, and Red Green as a name always reminded me of a player from post-WWI era named Rocket Power.

Edited by Marvin
Factoid.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

And bonus points for paying in two countries. 

There has to be a story there. Not only was his career short, it was mediocre. His one year coaching career was even worse.

I did find that he was instrumental in getting players playoff pay so maybe this was nod to the unions. This is something my brain wants me to spend time on.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, tom webster said:

There has to be a story there. Not only was his career short, it was mediocre. His one year coaching career was even worse.

I did find that he was instrumental in getting players playoff pay so maybe this was nod to the unions. This is something my brain wants me to spend time on.

Yeah, the career screams builder to me.  The first item in my google search is this.  I didn't listen yet, but that seems pretty telling.

42 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

What Sabres forward was named to the NHL‘s all rookie team in 1987–1988?

What forward did the Sabres select with the second overall pick in the 2014 NHL draft?

Who was the first goaltender to wear number 30 for the Sabres?

Good Q's.  All 3 likely will trip most people up as they think of someone more famous that could be the answer but aren't.

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

What forward did the Sabres select with the second overall pick in the 2014 NHL draft?

My head says that the last one has to be Joe Daley.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:49 AM, Zamboni said:

1. Calle Johansson (I wish we never traded him).
2. Reinhart

3. Daley

NHL question: There are plenty of father/sons in NHL history like the Folignos, the Tkachuks and even Tage Thompson (Brent).  However how many current players have a parent who played a pro sport other than Hockey.  Who are they and what sport did their parent play.  I can think of 6 right now there maybe more.

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

2. Reinhart

3. Daley

NHL question: There are plenty of father/sons in NHL history like the Folignos, the Tkachuks and even Tage Thompson (Brent).  However how many current players have a parent who played a pro sport other than Hockey.  Who are they and what sport did their parent play.  I can think of 6 right now there maybe more.

Jeff Petry’s dad played baseball for the Tigers, Dan?
Seth and Caleb Jones’ dad was basketball, Popeye?
Liam and Jean Luc Foudy’s dad played football in the CFL.

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It was CFL, so not that well known.

I know about him because his wife is from around here, she was an Olympic silver medalist in 1984.

Maybe the best athlete of the parents of NHLer is Ellen Weinberg-Hughes who was a 3 sport varsity athlete (Ice Hockey, Lacrosse and Soccer) in college and represented the US in Ice Hockey at Worlds.  However, since she wasn't a pro athlete, I didn't include the Hughes brothers on my list.  The other 3 are CFL kids, but are very well-known hockey players including a former Sabre. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe the best athlete of the parents of NHLer is Ellen Weinberg-Hughes who was a 3 sport varsity athlete (Ice Hockey, Lacrosse and Soccer) in college and represented the US in Ice Hockey at Worlds.  However, since she wasn't a pro athlete, I didn't include the Hughes brothers on my list.  The other 3 are CFL kids, but are very well-known hockey players including a former Sabre. 

Darnell Nurse’s dad played CFL.

Justin Bailey too, I think.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:56 PM, mjd1001 said:

Interesting that Girgensons is now 13th all time in Sabres games played and he could break into the top 10 by the end of the year.

Girgensons now has more games played as a Sabre than:

Hecth

Ruff

Housley

Vanek

Shoenfeld

McKee

Playfair

Stafford

And of course a lot of others.

And the real question is:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

On 10/18/2023 at 9:19 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

2. Reinhart

3. Daley

I think Johansson was a defenceman.  I think the answer is Ray Sheppard -- another player whom we should not have traded.

Look this one up: what was the first playoff series that was best-of-five or best-of-seven that the Sabres won despite not winning the first two games?

Edited by Marvin
Correcting the spell-checker

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

This is a little crazy...Zemgus has tied O'Reilly and Soupy Campbell for points as a Sabre. O'Reilly I could see, but I thought Soupy had a lot more points than that...

Soupy did not play a ton before 2005-6.  He did not grow up until the Umberger hit.  He was gone less than 2 season after.

• Agree 1

What two numbers did Jim Schoenfeld wear?

On October 23, 1981, what forward had the first, three goal game of his NHL career in the Sabres 6-2 win over the Maple Leafs?

On October 25, 1991, the Sabres traded Pierre Turgeon, Benoit Hogue,  Uwe Krupp and Dave McLlwain to the Islanders for Randy Hillier, a fourth round draft pick and what two forwards?

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

What two numbers did Jim Schoenfeld wear?

On October 23, 1981, what forward had the first, three goal game of his NHL career in the Sabres 6-2 win over the Maple Leafs?

On October 25, 1991, the Sabres traded Pierre Turgeon, Benoit Hogue,  Uwe Krupp and Dave McLlwain to the Islanders for Randy Hillier, a fourth round draft pick and what two forwards?

Randy Wood. I’ll leave la low hanging fruit to someone else. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.