2023 Stanley Cup Finals: Florida vs Vegas

Thorny

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Meh.  The Sabres' goal is to win.  They have been inept, not misguided.

It's to win in a few years,  Adams didn't make significant moves at the deadline or to get a playoff caliber goalie yet. 

Yeah,  I think they want to win,  but they're in no hurry. 

I think that's Jack's point.  And he's spot on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

It's to win in a few years,  Adams didn't make significant moves at the deadline or to get a playoff caliber goalie yet. 

That is because of The Tank.  Only when the Sabres are a consistent playoff team will this perception be ended.

14 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I think Jack's point is that the Sabres didn't surround him with the talent needed to win while he was here.

I don't think he was giving one second of thought to what the Sabres have done since he was traded in that answer.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think Jack's point is that the Sabres didn't surround him with the talent needed to win while he was here.

I don't think he was giving one second of thought to what the Sabres have done since he was traded in that answer.

Yeah,  you're correct. But his comment still can apply to the current squad.

6 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Yeah,  you're correct. But his comment still can apply to the current squad.

Still not sure how management turning a 37-point team into a 91-point team, armed with one of the best groups of U25 talent and cap situations in the league in 2 years is "not trying to win", but OK.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That Jack is still evidently bothered enough about it to bring it up in this of all moments speaks volumes.  

October can not possibly arrive soon enough...

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

That Jack is still evidently bothered enough about it to bring it up in this of all moments speaks volumes.  

Jack was asked about it directly

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Jack doesn’t have a problem with Adams. He’s got a problem with Terry. That’s my theory anyways. JE has always said reasonable things about KA. Jack was disappointed in the directions the Sabres took BEFORE KA was GM, and disappointed in ownership’s apparent willingness to allow KA to long form rebuild. I don’t think he would shade KA on his actual aptitude in rebuilding, he merely (fairly) didn’t want to be a part of it. I doubt he thinks, or cares about what the Sabres have been up to since. And in fact after yesterday I guarantee he doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Jack was asked about it directly

Sigh.  Fine. 

Not surprised he veered away from the high road, but whatever.  

Great, now I'm participating in this same conversation in two threads.  boo.

Just now, Thorny said:

Jack doesn’t have a problem with Adams. He’s got a problem with Terry. That’s my theory anyways. JE has always said reasonable things about KA. Jack was disappointed in the directions the Sabres took BEFORE KA was GM, and disappointed in ownership’s apparent willingness to allow KA to long form rebuild. I don’t think he would shade KA on his actual aptitude in rebuilding, he merely (fairly) didn’t want to be a part of it. I doubt he thinks, or cares about what the Sabres have been up to since. And in fact after yesterday I guarantee he doesn’t. 

Great.  Let's all follow his example and reciprocate.  

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Sigh.  Fine. 

Not surprised he veered away from the high road, but whatever.  

Great, now I'm participating in this same conversation in two threads.  boo.

Great.  Let's all follow his example and reciprocate.  

Reciprocate what?

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

That one is on the media, trying to stir something up. I’m sure not all of the sports media at the time were in favour of the surgery he chose.

Said in the moment they absolutely were looking for a sound byte. Jack was obviously super emotional but I thought was reasonably diligent in not throwing shade. He more spoke about how much adversity he had to go through, and, side with him or not, clearly he did. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

Not thinking or caring about what Jack Eichel is up to.  

I'm begging everyone.  

I’ve argued that for 2 years. But, it certainly continued, regardless. So, today, the chickens are certainly coming home to roost, in a manner of speaking. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Still not sure how management turning a 37-point team into a 91-point team, armed with one of the best groups of U25 talent and cap situations in the league in 2 years is "not trying to win", but OK.

I said they do want to win,  but they're not in a big hurry.  Vegas,  while certainly in a different situation,  tried to win the cup from day 1. 

They would have tried to fix their goaltending if they tried to win this past season. 

52 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I said they do want to win,  but they're not in a big hurry.  Vegas,  while certainly in a different situation,  tried to win the cup from day 1. 

They would have tried to fix their goaltending if they tried to win this past season. 

They did try to fix their goaltending, but failed (Murray, Comrie and apparently Gibson).

Trying from day 1 with a blank slate, it still took Vegas 6 years. The Sabres wiped the slate clean 2 years ago.

Vegas missed the playoffs last year with roughly the same amount of points the Sabres had this year.

But at least they tried.

15 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

8th Seed for a Reason. Got lucky against Boston and rolled a Bit. Game 5 Goalie choice was a mistake with a hurt Ullmark. Sabres were there if they beat them head to head that last game, lost 3-2.

Ya, the Bruins made a few big mistakes. Ultimately we see that despite the league being faster, more skilled, up tempo, cleaner and all that in the playoffs it still becomes a war of attrition and you need a lot of depth for a solid run. Bruins got the depth part right, but I think they were a little over confidant and forgot the "war" part. They damaged Ekblad first, but didn't continue pounding that thin D. First game of the final Vegas went at them relentlessly and damaged what was left. Bruins brought in Hathaway and Tkachuk took him out with a vicious cross check early on. Hathaway became a non factor and nobody returned the favor on Tkachuk or Bennett. Bruins forgot the Big Bad part of their game and so they got beat by poor coaching choices, over confidence, and a lack of physicality. 

Cassidy on the other hand remembered what happened with his Bruins against St. Louis and this time he flipped the script. Good coaching. Solid deep team. Lots of plumbers. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

@PerreaultForever offense, wins championships 

Right, the entire hockey world says it was Vegas's depth and defense but you know better, that's why Edmonton's hoisting the cup after beating Toronto in the final. You are always SO right. 

• Like (+1) 1

We all know that the playoffs are officiated differently, and that's infuriating.

You basically have to build one team for the season and somehow another team for the two-month postseason.

The playoffs in the spring of 2006 were the closest to being officiated like the preceding regular season.

And even then, the Hurricanes won it all due to a rash of injuries to multiple teams.

Garage league.

(I really like our high-speed offense-oriented team in the regular season, but the playoffs do seem to still be "let's see who we can injure to affect this series.")

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Meh.  The Sabres' goal is to win.  They have been inept, not misguided.

For the most part their goal is to win, but for a time the goal was to tank, and you know that worked out. 

Then the goal was effective, efficient, and economic - also not exactly a winning motto. 

They have been misguided for an abnormal amount of time.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.