"Around the NHL Summer 2023:Teams Not in Finals Edition."

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

John Hynes fired in Nashville as HC

Andrew Brunette expected to be named HC of the Preds 

I don't have any idea if Brunette was a good hire or not, but I'm happy Hynes was fired. 

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

John Hynes fired in Nashville as HC

Andrew Brunette expected to be named HC of the Preds 

Fired six weeks after missing the playoffs…that’s an oddity.

I found out Brunette is an original Predators player under Barry Trotz. I guess Trotz wanted to bring in his own guy? Brunette deserves another chance to be an NHL head coach, but I’m still surprised it is here.

The Preds made the playoffs in Hynes first three years on the job, and although they missed this year…Nashville played great after the trade deadline.  It is hard to criticize Hynes' record.

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Confusing and conflicting reports on Dubas. Signing in Pittsburgh, rejecting Pittsburg, whatever it is the drama seems fitting. I really have no idea why some people think he's a good GM at all. 

Well, in the last three years the Leafs won the Covid Canadian division in 2021, then put up 115 & 111 points in the regular season in 2022 & 2023. That’s pretty good, right? Does he not get credit for building those rosters?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Well, in the last three years the Leafs won the Covid Canadian division in 2021, then put up 115 & 111 points in the regular season in 2022 & 2023. That’s pretty good, right? Does he not get credit for building those rosters?

I guess for some, but not from me. imo he focused too much on offense and not enough on defense and handicapped that team forever (unless they trade away some of the big 4) by overpaying the big 4 and leaving not nearly enough to build a team. Leafs will never win with that structure and that's his team. So I guess if you want to make the playoffs every year and lose early every year it's success but I'd call it failure. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I guess for some, but not from me. imo he focused too much on offense and not enough on defense and handicapped that team forever (unless they trade away some of the big 4) by overpaying the big 4 and leaving not nearly enough to build a team. Leafs will never win with that structure and that's his team. So I guess if you want to make the playoffs every year and lose early every year it's success but I'd call it failure. 

This is my analysis of Dubas.  He had 7 years to build up the defence.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Treliving is the new Leaves GM, which is good for the rest of the division.

Hard to say. He may have learned from past mistakes. See if he is allowed to make big changes or not. Shanahan said the big 4 are staying, but he might have been lying. I'm going to love it if the Leafs get screwed by Matthews the same way Tavares screwed the Islanders.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hard to say. He may have learned from past mistakes. See if he is allowed to make big changes or not. Shanahan said the big 4 are staying, but he might have been lying. I'm going to love it if the Leafs get screwed by Matthews the same way Tavares screwed the Islanders.

The eyebrow raiser is that supposedly Treveling’s dad is a part of MLSE already 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That'd be fine.  Hopefully not Karmanos or Ventura.

I hope those guys remain here for a bit.

He’ll probably poach a few guys from the Leafs that Treliving doesn’t care about. These guys often have a posse that they move around with.

Interesting that he gets a promotion after only 1 stint as a GM. It sounds like he didn’t like Shanahan meddling in his trades and such. I wonder how much real power the new GM will have.

This always makes me wonder if the hockey Czar is really just a GM while the GM is really an assistant GM with a better title. Depends on the tandem I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Also interesting in that they still need a GM.

I'd assume Dubas gets to hire his own underling? Spezza? 

Dubas apparently didn't like the power structure in Toronto. How each decision went up the food chain and then back down, so I think his new title will create something different to that and give him more control. 

He has the same problem in Pittsburgh as Toronto, only with an older star group and still a lack of money for the bottom along with iffy goaltending. Good luck with all that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd assume Dubas gets to hire his own underling? Spezza? 

Dubas apparently didn't like the power structure in Toronto. How each decision went up the food chain and then back down, so I think his new title will create something different to that and give him more control. 

He has the same problem in Pittsburgh as Toronto, only with an older star group and still a lack of money for the bottom along with iffy goaltending. Good luck with all that. 

Yep.  He made a bad choice for winning but probably a good choice for the Dumbass family bank.  Either way, welcome to the conference, Dubas.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.