Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

10 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

What are peoples thoughts on Bertuzzi and Gudas being on the Sabres?

I'd prefer a better top 4 D to Gudas, but if he's a possible option then sure. He's an upgrade.

Bertuzzi is an interesting but problematic option. I was high on him earlier as he is a power forward and does go to the dirty areas. Good passing ability too which surprised me. BUT, he's also a turnover machine. Despite his offense, he was also on the ice for 7 goals against in the Florida Boston series. The guy marches to his own drummer so not sure how he'd be in a young locker room. So, risky choice. Possible high reward, possible disaster. I'd probably pass on him now. 

• Like (+1) 4

56 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd prefer a better top 4 D to Gudas, but if he's a possible option then sure. He's an upgrade.

Bertuzzi is an interesting but problematic option. I was high on him earlier as he is a power forward and does go to the dirty areas. Good passing ability too which surprised me. BUT, he's also a turnover machine. Despite his offense, he was also on the ice for 7 goals against in the Florida Boston series. The guy marches to his own drummer so not sure how he'd be in a young locker room. So, risky choice. Possible high reward, possible disaster. I'd probably pass on him now. 

Sabres have their own Bertuzzi coming in 2 years inPoltapov

Lurking the Bruins' board, looks like many fans want to rid the team of...Ullmark...who in their opinion s*** the bed the last two playoffs. Any takers? Not sure he'll be available, but I think he'd make a good tandem w Levi, if it wasn't for his history of injuries and a NTC. Still, food for thought but Linus may be a giant in regular season and a shrinking violet in the playoffs. Another thought: it's hard to project but several of our players aren't gritty enough...if the Sabres make the playoffs, they need certain types of characters to succeed there and I'm not sure they have enough sandpaper.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:49 AM, CallawaySabres said:

What are peoples thoughts on Bertuzzi and Gudas being on the Sabres?

Not sure Bertuzzi fits the style, although I want his "grit".   

Gudas would be a great 3rd pair guy, we can do better if looking to improve the top 4.  

25 minutes ago, Quint said:

Lurking the Bruins' board, looks like many fans want to rid the team of...Ullmark...who in their opinion s*** the bed the last two playoffs. Any takers? Not sure he'll be available, but I think he'd make a good tandem w Levi, if it wasn't for his history of injuries and a NTC. Still, food for thought but Linus may be a giant in regular season and a shrinking violet in the playoffs. Another thought: it's hard to project but several of our players aren't gritty enough...if the Sabres make the playoffs, they need certain types of characters to succeed there and I'm not sure they have enough sandpaper.

No thanks on Ullmark. He didn’t want to be here a couple years ago. F him. And he certainly would not be the same goaltender in Buffalo as he is in Boston. Pass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Quint said:

Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

He could have stayed.   He didn't.   We are building with players that want to be here.  

Most important, if you don't win in the playoffs what's the point? 

On 5/1/2023 at 7:32 PM, Crusader1969 said:

Sabres have their own Bertuzzi coming in 2 years inPoltapov

Who wants to wait two more years? 

56 minutes ago, Quint said:

The Linus bridge has been burned I would think. Both sides would probably balk at that move.

If he was to return, Levi would carry the mail in the playoffs anyway.

Sandpaper is needed. I think it will arrive in a UFA signing or two. Graves? Wood? Killorn?

Maybe a trade can bring some in. Calgary could alter their roster and move on from a D and a guy like Coleman.

Cap dumps will happen between the draft and July 1st. Grit should be available.

If the Sabres move on from Girgs and KO then grittier options need to be brought in.

• Like (+1) 3

KA went out of his way to praise Bales at year end presser. Think this is a mistake. 

Our Special Teams and Defense needs new coaching. Granato needs to hand off goalie pull decisions to someone else, he himself doesn’t get it at all. So many games lost because a goalie who was clearly out of it wasn’t pulled early enough. 

Top 4 UFA D is the only thing that really matters this off season. Now is the time to pick up a vet, there is nobody in the system he is blocking. I hope we don’t re sign Okposo or Girgensons. Trade Oloffson if you aren’t going to use him. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Quint said:

Who are the sandpaper on the Devils and the Hurricane? How about the Oilers? 

I find it interesting that not one of the top 10 teams in hits per game are still alive.  
but 5 of the bottom 10 in hits are

Do A LOT ( and I mean a lot) of posters here over estimate the importance of hitting and grit? 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Who are the sandpaper on the Devils and the Hurricane? How about the Oilers? 

I find it interesting that not one of the top 10 teams in hits per game are still alive.  
but 5 of the bottom 10 in hits are

Do A LOT ( and I mean a lot) of posters here over estimate the importance of hitting and grit? 

Speed is what advances in this year's playoffs. I don't think Sabres need size, they just have to make sure that the players they have are willing to take it up  a notch when the playoffs start. The battles are what is needed every single game in every single series. Teams that don't fight for the puck and take those blocked shots are dead in the water.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CallawaySabres said:

Speed is what advances in this year's playoffs. I don't think Sabres need size, they just have to make sure that the players they have are willing to take it up  a notch when the playoffs start. The battles are what is needed every single game in every single series. Teams that don't fight for the puck and take those blocked shots are dead in the water.

Exactly.  Win the puck battles.   Be strong.  Take the hit when it’s there but don’t go running around looking for it 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Right on. I equate grit to battling for the puck and hounding 

If the Sabres take it up a few notches they have the size to win many battles. They just have to realize the sacrifice involved in those battles and blocking shots. 
The playoffs are a war of attrition and depth is important too.

A team cannot play like that in the regular season, they would have nothing left.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Is it just me or is the term “went out of his way“ very loosely used to nowadays? I think it’s highly exaggerated for effect. 

Well, I went out of my way to respond to this.

Seriously though, I agree with your comment. People seem to have limited time and attention spans so when it is brought up they made a “significant” effort to do so.

Edited by French Collection

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.