Layout Your Offseason Plan

Flashsabre

On 5/3/2023 at 9:57 AM, French Collection said:

The Linus bridge has been burned I would think. Both sides would probably balk at that move.

If he was to return, Levi would carry the mail in the playoffs anyway.

Sandpaper is needed. I think it will arrive in a UFA signing or two. Graves? Wood? Killorn?

Maybe a trade can bring some in. Calgary could alter their roster and move on from a D and a guy like Coleman.

Cap dumps will happen between the draft and July 1st. Grit should be available.

If the Sabres move on from Girgs and KO then grittier options need to be brought in.

Would be great to get a top 4 defenseman like Graves. That has to be  the prime target position in free agency, imo. We have the cap space (and get a Dahlin deal done). Graves has 33 games of playoff experience and counting which is a big plus. 

Hard to say how much interest some of these like a Graves would have in coming to Buffalo. But roll out the red carpet. Let them talk with Tuch, Dahlin, and an others about the team.  

Totally agree on needing some players with Grit. And speed, of course. They don’t need to be hitters. Just tough. Mentally and physically. We have potential but both adding and within the team we need to develop more sand / toughness and players getting physically developed as well. Adding 1-2 vets who have playoff experience and grit to their game could benefit them. This was from a recent ESPN column on the Stanley Cup playoffs and the benefit of playoff experience for the Kraken:

Seattle's Yanni Gourde has played 77 playoff games and won two Stanley Cups. Jaden Schwartz has played 96 playoff games, with a Cup win. Justin Schultz has played 75 playoff games, with two Cup wins. Jamie Oleksiak (51), Jordan Eberle (70) and even Philipp Grubauer(41) have ample playoff experience.

Getting 1-2 players with healthy playoff experience can also help in the regular season, imo, when we have some big games we need to win. We played in a number of those down the stretch this year and wilted in several of them. 

Edited by FrenchConnection44

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Seattle's Yanni Gourde has played 77 playoff games and won two Stanley Cups. Jaden Schwartz has played 96 playoff games, with a Cup win. Justin Schultz has played 75 playoff games, with two Cup wins. Jamie Oleksiak (51), Jordan Eberle (70) and even Philipp Grubauer(41) have ample playoff experience.

This another reason I am willing to move on from KO and Girgs. They are great guys and have been instrumental in forming the culture but they have no playoff experience or winning at any level.

• Like (+1) 1

This may be a bit controversial but I feel like Cozens and Thompson meshed well, and the lines balance.

Trade:

2023 1st

2024 2nd (from Johnson walking)

UPL

Rosen

for 

Jussi Saros

Dante Fabbro

Trade Oloffson, Bryson, Comrie for whatever you can get pick wise. 

Sign Miles Wood. Re sign Okie

Quinn-Cozens-Thompson

Skinner- Middlestadt- Tuch

Greenway- Savoie- Peterka

Wood- Krebs- Okposo

Rousek

Mule- Dahlin

Power- Fabbro

Joker-Boosh

Stillman

Edited by Krammy7191

3 hours ago, Krammy7191 said:

This may be a bit controversial but I feel like Cozens and Thompson meshed well, and the lines balance.

Trade:

2023 1st

2024 2nd (from Johnson walking)

UPL

Rosen

for 

Jussi Saros

Dante Fabbro

Trade Oloffson, Bryson, Comrie for whatever you can get pick wise. 

Sign Miles Wood. Re sign Okie

Quinn-Cozens-Thompson

Skinner- Middlestadt- Tuch

Greenway- Savoie- Peterka

Wood- Krebs- Okposo

Rousek

Mule- Dahlin

Power- Fabbro

Joker-Boosh

Stillman

Why would you want Tage back to the wing? 

4 hours ago, Weave said:

It would also give Savoie a lot of room, and some protection.

Definitely.

The skillsets of the three players are almost a perfect match: Mitts creating space for Savoie to dart into and finish while Greenway does the dirty work and keeps everyone honest. All three of them are good at taking away pucks and possessing them

If the on-ice version matches the concept, it could be special, especially as a 3rd line

• Like (+1) 1

An RFA I'd kick the tires on is Trent Frederic of the Bruins.

I like the size and the snarl, and he's just 25. He'd be a nice addition to our bottom 6.

Why wouldnt the Bruins re-sign him?

Because he's due a nice raise and they've got bigger fish to fry with replacing/re-signing the likes of Bergeron and Krecji, among 7 free agents up front, and only having $6 million available. They will be shedding a few bodies.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like the size and the snarl, and he's just 25. He'd be a nice addition to our bottom 6.

Because he's due a nice raise and they've got bigger fish to fry with replacing/re-signing the likes of Bergeron and Krecji, among 7 free agents up front, and only having $6 million available. They will be shedding a few bodies.

I think Frederic would make a number of fans pretty happy.  And more than a few Sabres too.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Would be a great replacement for Zemgus. 

Has identical defensive metrics but also drives offensive possession. 

Evolving Hockey has his most likely next deal at 3 years 2.9 Million AAV 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Would be a great replacement for Zemgus. 

Has identical defensive metrics but also drives offensive possession. 

Evolving Hockey has his most likely next deal at 3 years 2.9 Million AAV 

Oh that sounds just about perfect. Bruins cannot afford it, bu twe certainly can.

And, to answer @GASabresIUFAN's question, there are 9 forward spots  taken, 5 currently unspoken for, Olofsson, Okposo, Hinostroza, Girgensons and Jost

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2023 at 6:52 PM, French Collection said:

Yes, they need another Samuelsson type. Graves fits that skill set.

Well, you guys have convinced me.  Sign Graves and Frederic.  Re-sign Jost.

Trade VO for whatever he gets to fill out the roster or future picks.

I'd use picks and/or lower forward prospect to get a decent D prospect that could be called up this year when needed and hopefully ready for 3rd pairing full time the following season.  It would be nice to have a cost-controlled D-man in 2024-2025.

If the forwards need a player for one more year before some more kids get the nod, I'd consider overpaying Girgs for a one-year deal.  I think he has deserved the chance to skate in a Sabres jersey in the playoffs.  He fills a role and is one of the old-timer leaders.  He would help with the KO transition.

I'm for a vet goalie but I have no idea what GMKA is planning there.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

Well, you guys have convinced me.  Sign Graves and Frederic.  Re-sign Jost.

Trade VO for whatever he gets to fill out the roster or future picks.

I'd use picks and/or lower forward prospect to get a decent D prospect that could be called up this year when needed and hopefully ready for 3rd pairing full time the following season.  It would be nice to have a cost-controlled D-man in 2024-2025.

If the forwards need a player for one more year before some more kids get the nod, I'd consider overpaying Girgs for a one-year deal.  I think he has deserved the chance to skate in a Sabres jersey in the playoffs.  He fills a role and is one of the old-timer leaders.  He would help with the KO transition.

I'm for a vet goalie but I have no idea what GMKA is planning there.

It would not surprise me if one of Carolina’s veteran goalies ends up in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Ya think? A couple of 30 something free agents that might win the Cup this year. Carolina will move on from one if not both.

LOL.  I was saying that sarcastically.  I don't like the idea of Levi having to shoulder the burden when UPL/Comrie fail to hold up their end of the bargain.

GMKA can easily upgrade the D in FA.  The forwards don't worry me much at all.  Goaltending is the only concern I have for next year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4124069

Using the idea from the trade thread I made a team with a solid balance of vets and youngsters

Martinez to me would great idea for a 5LHD as he led Vegas in shot blocks, has 2 Cup Rings including 2 Playoff Series GWGs and while older (35/36) still has solid skating. 

IF Girgensons leaves Olofsson for Foegele on Edmonton with Edmonton letting us move back into the 2nd round again seems both fair and gives us a seasoned player for the Bot 6. If Girgensons stays I'd look more for a pick trade for Olofsson

I did 13, Jokiharju and UPL for Hellebuyck and DeMelo; Hellebuyck gets an extension of 2 years and that would give Levi 3 years to work his way from 1B to 1A and keeps him from having the entire season's hopes and dreams riding on him. DeMelo is a means to an ends to but a more defensive skewed seasoned player with Power.

For my extras I have Rousek and N. Foligno (young gun and a former captain) with Stillman as our 7th which gives us a solid 7.

50 minutes ago, Cheektorado said:

LOL.  I was saying that sarcastically.  I don't like the idea of Levi having to shoulder the burden when UPL/Comrie fail to hold up their end of the bargain.

GMKA can easily upgrade the D in FA.  The forwards don't worry me much at all.  Goaltending is the only concern I have for next year.

Me too

Connor Murphy from Chicago checks a lot of boxes. Adams should slip in a pick swap in fine printing and before the Hawks know what happened we have Bedard😛

Murphy, Graves, Clifton, Gryzlek, Roy are all players that can be acquired through trade or UFA that would shore up the d corps and the PK. I think they need a #4 and a #5 this summer.

What do we think of Ryan Lindgren?

25-year-old defensive defenceman who battles hard, sacrifices his body, kills penalties and seems reliable in his own zone.

With Miller to re-sign this year and Schneider next he might by the odd man out cap-wise on $3 million deal.

If he works with Fox, then why not Dahlin or Power?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What do we think of Ryan Lindgren?

25-year-old defensive defenceman who battles hard, sacrifices his body, kills penalties and seems reliable in his own zone.

With Miller to re-sign this year and Schneider next he might by the odd man out cap-wise on $3 million deal.

If he works with Fox, then why not Dahlin or Power?

On paper, he looks a lot like Jokiharju, but I've not seen his advanced analytics, except what's on hockey-reference.com.  I think we can do better, but he fits the age parameters that Ka seems to be looking for. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I really don't know much at all about just how good any of these players are, or how good of a fit they will be with the Sabres.

So specifically, I really can't comment on any names in particular with any level of confidence.  All I know is I want 2 NHL quality D-men to be aquired, and once we hear who they are, I want to be pretty easily convinced they will help a lot.  I don't need much more from this offseason other than that.  A Dahlin extension at a good number would be great.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.