GDT: Hurricanes @ Sabres - April 8, 2023, 12:30pm, MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

A lot of this bad defense is common sense stuff that our guys just aren't learning/doing. We really need a coach that can teach these guys the basics. If they play even average defense, this is a very dangerous team. 

I agree we need better defensive coaching. 

But also, nobody is coaching that Boosh pass. And he’s definitely slapped on the wrist for it. When Power doesn’t cover his guy, that’s a kid figuring out the game. 

There’s a healthy mix of personnel and coaching issues. I think a lot of the conversation is so deeply rooted on just one side of the fence for some people.

3 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

You are just wrong wit that take my friend @Sidc3000

1/ Meatballs & staff have preached offensive hockey, if you hadn’t noticed.

2/ Dahls is in Norris talk & has been a TOP NHL D man (who can absolutely activate & provide offense). THAT’s why he was picked #1 overall (I was actually at that draft in Dallas - not that that means anything).

3/ Power is TOP rookie (& ANOTHER #1 overall pick). He has by far played the most minutes on D, and has been stout. 

BOTH are only going to get better. 

Obviously DG focused on offense only and thats why Dahlin is in Norris chatter. If he and the team played defense he probably wouldn’t be a top 5 candidate because he wouldn’t have as many points. 

Power i’ll take back just because he is a rookie and we’ll see how he develops defensively. 

both will get better but in what, offense or defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

That was a really good period.  The Sabres were hitting, battling, and scored 2. 

Some of you guys need to remember that Carolina has 109 points and a +50 goal differential.   We are not going to dominate every shift.  

Win the 3rd, win the game, stay alive.  

Would love to see them pour it on. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

I agree we need better defensive coaching. 

But also, nobody is coaching that Boosh pass. And he’s definitely slapped on the wrist for it. When Power doesn’t cover his guy, that’s a kid figuring out the game. 

There’s a healthy mix of personnel and coaching issues. I think a lot of the conversation is so deeply rooted on just one side of the fence for some people.

Like I said previously, it’s the same mechanics you see on youth and pee-wee levels. Not meaning to say these are pee-wee level players, my point is it’s a mental thing you often see there.

It’s certainly fixable.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

Obviously DG focused on offense only and thats why Dahlin is in Norris chatter. If he and the team played defense he probably wouldn’t be a top 5 candidate because he wouldn’t have as many points. 

Power i’ll take back just because he is a rookie and we’ll see how he develops defensively. 

Both will get better in both.

(And defensively in particular, quite a bit better.)

1 minute ago, Sidc3000 said:

Neither Dahlin or Power are the main defensive problems on this team.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

No Way Ugh GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

Mittelstadt has risen to the occasion with the top line… Gives DG options… 

I have never been the biggest Mitts fan but he has been impressive here down the stretch and has grown on me. I hope he can take his game to another level next season. That would be an added bonus to their quest to end the drought, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Believer said:

Mittelstadt has risen to the occasion with the top line… Gives DG options… 

I honestly like the top line better this way. I think they’re more versatile. The second line is also better. 

Each line has been able to win their shift in a variety of ways. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.