In The Buff

Who do you start in net vs Florida?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you start?

• Devon Levi
    • Eric Comrie
    • UPL
    • Craig Anderson

Play Levi and don’t think twice about it.

He is the best goalie currently and gives them the best chance to win. 

I’ve said it before, he is not the average young goalie. 

I really don’t think he spends a year in Rochester. He developed in college. He is so strong mentally and technically.

I think he is a Sabre next year. Let’s see how he reacts to finish the season. First test he passed with flying colours and the reports sound like he is playing well in practice.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Well, I think it's been answered.  The trio of Anderson/Comrie/Luukkoonnneeenn have been ok at times, and bad at times, but seldom GOOD.  

Levi is a relatively unknown commodity, but there is no reason to believe that he can't be better than the aforesaid trio.

The main evidence against Levi seems to be that PA doesn't know anything about him.  That's really weak, for several reasons.

The main evidence against the other three is the entire season, or, in the cases of Anderson and however-its-spelled, last season as well.

Draw your own conclusions, but I see nothing that would discourage me from starting Levi, even if I also see a case for starting someone else (Comrie).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

I really don’t think he spends a year in Rochester. He developed in college. He is so strong mentally and technically.

I think he is a Sabre next year. Let’s see how he reacts to finish the season. First test he passed with flying colours and the reports sound like he is playing well in practice.

I don't disagree with your premise, but I think "He is the goalie with the fewest known flaws and gives us hope he won't let in five like all the others have this season." is more accurate. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well, I think it's been answered.  The trio of Anderson/Comrie/Luukkoonnneeenn have been ok at times, and bad at times, but seldom GOOD.  

Levi is a relatively unknown commodity, but there is no reason to believe that he can't be better than the aforesaid trio.

The main evidence against Levi seems to be that PA doesn't know anything about him.  That's really weak, for several reasons.

The main evidence against the other three is the entire season, or, in the cases of Anderson and however-its-spelled, last season as well.

Draw your own conclusions, but I see nothing that would discourage me from starting Levi, even if I also see a case for starting someone else (Comrie).

The main evidence against Levi is, there is very little evidence at the NHL level.

As long as the coach is picking based on a performance evaluation and not a dont block the kid evaluation I am good.

• Like (+1) 1

Last year, would anyone have had any issues if the Sabres had been in the race when Owen Power arrived, and Mark Pysyk or Jacob Bryson had sat instead of him?

Because, to me, Comrie and Luukkonen are the goalie equivalents of Pysyk and Bryson.

Levi may not be a first overall pick, but his track record in college and with Team Canada is every bit as dominant as Power's.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The main evidence against Levi is, there is very little evidence at the NHL level.

As long as the coach is picking based on a performance evaluation and not a dont block the kid evaluation I am good.

Whoever looks best in practice is the starter.  That is what DG should be saying.   If it is Levi. then let the kid play.  

The defensive effort for 40 minutes was so much better in front of Levi. I think they have a different mindset with him in the net. Obviously, the sample size is not in my favor for such a generalization, but I really want the kid to play

26 minutes ago, Stads said:

The defensive effort for 40 minutes was so much better in front of Levi. I think they have a different mindset with him in the net. Obviously, the sample size is not in my favor for such a generalization, but I really want the kid to play

They did for one game.  It it was sustainable we would have seen it at others times during the season.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

They did for one game.  It it was sustainable we would have seen it at others times during the season.

You and your logic can just go on and git you here? My optimism does not want to be dampened

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

After the team played so loose in front of Comrie when he gave up 10 goals, his next outing against the Islanders was very different. On the road against the Islanders in a very important game, the team played a tight, defensive game in which Comrie got the win. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

What I saw when we played the islanders. I heard Varlamov is a ufa. That guy can play. Him and Levi

Levi's height or lack-thereof doesn't seem to be an issue because he's so quick & agile & technically sound, he can make up for it or diminish its negative impact.

The real test will be when players start scouting him for weaknesses & they start going up high on him. Will he be able to adapt & take it away? So far in his career it hasn't been an issue.

It makes sense why teams would love a 6'7" guy in net, but truth is most of those guys can't bend their bodies like a Devon Levi can.

This game is fast & you need to react fast. UPL sleeps thru a goal once a night, wrist shot past his glove hand, every single game it seems. Yet he'll make the difficult save when u need it. If he could clean up the soft goals, he might be a decent NHL goalie.

Anyways Levi it is in a landslide!

1 hour ago, In The Buff said:

Levi's height or lack-thereof doesn't seem to be an issue because he's so quick & agile & technically sound, he can make up for it or diminish its negative impact.

The real test will be when players start scouting him for weaknesses & they start going up high on him. Will he be able to adapt & take it away? So far in his career it hasn't been an issue.

It makes sense why teams would love a 6'7" guy in net, but truth is most of those guys can't bend their bodies like a Devon Levi can.

This game is fast & you need to react fast. UPL sleeps thru a goal once a night, wrist shot past his glove hand, every single game it seems. Yet he'll make the difficult save when u need it. If he could clean up the soft goals, he might be a decent NHL goalie.

Anyways Levi it is in a landslide!

Agree on UPL.

He seems to have all the tools to be a good goalie and he works hard, he just seems to lack technique, or the focus to maintain technique.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Agree on UPL.

He seems to have all the tools to be a good goalie and he works hard, he just seems to lack technique, or the focus to maintain technique.

Maybe he can learn to meditate?

Edited by Pimlach
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe he can learn to meditate?

Can someone mediate a solution? 🙂

In seriousness, you don't really have to learn to meditate that much. Just start with some guided meditation, find a quiet place, and listen to what the guide is saying. Noise blocking earbuds are awesome for this.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

The bold was entirely the point of my post you objected to.

Thanks for engaging. That fact you had not previously while firing the "don't care about making the playoffs" missile into the discussion was frustrating.

You are generally very much in tune with the romance of being a sports fan.

Choosing the banality of a .525 finish with Eric Comrie or UPL over the potential of a great story doesn't fit.

Opening the window and hearing peepers after the Sabres win a playoff game in OT is romantic. I want the guy in goal who gives the best chance of making that possible.

For the record I've not said anything negative about Levi. I think the only person I've suggested isn't interested in making the playoffs is KA.

I'm not sure it matters much. It's a four head monster now. Defend the goal and score some goals and JWB.

Now allow me to go all Weave-Spock. Would UPL or Comrie have had a better or worse S% than Levi playing Levi's college schedule?

I mean if Levi's already better than those two at the NHL level, they must be worse than him at the college level.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.