Buffalo should fire Granato

Buffalonill

34 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I agree that we need more guys who will take punishment in dirty areas, but I think you are decidedly underrating the chasm between the 2 teams in quality depth.  The gulf is particularly obvious in goal.  It is still hard to miss on defence, where Buffalo's regular 3rd pair would at best be Boston's 4th pair.  And Boston's forward depth is far more experienced and, more importantly, savvy than Buffalo's.

I don't disagree with the general sentiment of what you say at all. Matter of fact, I don't think Buffalo's 3rd pair could even make the Bruins roster. They buried Mike Reilly in Providence and although he is not great, he's definitely better than Bryson. Zboril's better than our bottom pair as well and he can't crack their line up when they are at full strength. 

They're a cap ceiling team we are a cap floor team. That matters too. That's also part of why we will miss the playoffs though. We could have had a better team filled with young guys and all this development but also with a few more veterans and players who could have gotten us there. Everyone knows what this team lacks, the only real argument will be how much faith you have in the next wave of prospects and do we need 3, 4, 5 or more guys to fill the holes. Pretty sure the people who say do nothing and stay the course will be a tiny tiny minority, if they exist at all. (But that might be what KA does and says unfortunately).

Big win last night against NJ… Granato had the team ready to play at home, finally… Kudos.

”"I didn’t think we were ready to play at a high enough level," Ruff said afterward. "When the team is not ready to play, that falls on my shoulders."

Have never heard Granato take responsibility for his role in poor team readiness, not once. Always puts it on the players in his postgame comments, as if he had no part to play as Coach. He’s had several opportunities to do so in our March slump. 

Ruff, an experienced and savvy NHL Coach, stepped up and took some burden off his team in their end of season playoff prep. Smart. 

DG is in development like the team. He has some growing to do himself as an NHL Coach next season. Taking personal responsibility in the media for his role as Coach is part of it. My two cents…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Believer said:

Big win last night against NJ… Granato had the team ready to play at home, finally… Kudos.

”"I didn’t think we were ready to play at a high enough level," Ruff said afterward. "When the team is not ready to play, that falls on my shoulders."

Have never heard Granato take responsibility for his role in poor team readiness, not once. Always puts it on the players in his postgame comments, as if he had no part to play as Coach. He’s had several opportunities to do so in our March slump. 

Ruff, an experienced and savvy NHL Coach, stepped up and took some burden off his team in their end of season playoff prep. Smart. 

DG is in development like the team. He has some growing to do himself as an NHL Coach next season. Taking personal responsibility in the media for his role as Coach is part of it. My two cents…

They looked bad in NJ and only won cause the devils played a backup goalie and refused to adjust their play style to stifle the Sabres like everyone else has 

3 hours ago, Believer said:

I have. But I get what you’re saying.

What’s more notable to me is I have never heard Granato call out his players, not once.

To the media, his message has been unrelentingly one of positive reinforcement: when he is talking about good play, he talks about the players being self-starters and eager learners so he’s not surprised; when he is talking about bad play he talks about the same qualities, so he’s sure they will overcome it.

When he talks about breakdowns, he talks about them analytically, in a broad sense, as opposed to individual players making mistakes.

His overriding principles are positivity and consistency: something that I, personally, would appreciate as a player.

It’s also something that I’ve observed people over 50 seem suspicious of.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

His overriding principles are positivity and consistency: something that I, personally, would appreciate as a player.

Agree, that is DGs philosophy…  One I endorse for any leader… and I’m 73 😎

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What’s more notable to me is I have never heard Granato call out his players, not once.

To the media, his message has been unrelentingly one of positive reinforcement: when he is talking about good play, he talks about the players being self-starters and eager learners so he’s not surprised; when he is talking about bad play he talks about the same qualities, so he’s sure they will overcome it.

When he talks about breakdowns, he talks about them analytically, in a broad sense, as opposed to individual players making mistakes.

Not calling out people is one part of being a leader. 

But he isn’t taking the blame himself either. He’s just teaching the kids how to make excuses. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Not calling out people is one part of being a leader. 

But he isn’t taking the blame himself either. He’s just teaching the kids how to make excuses. 

This is what I mean by suspicious

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, positivity is tough when you are on a losing skid.
I would walk in and kick the garbage can, scream at UPL/Comrie to make a f*****g save once in a while. Tell VO he is in the press box until he grows a pair and tell Bryson that his only option is glass and out then change, if he dresses.

Wouldn’t work with these guys.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Pretty funny stuff on those old guys.  

I like his leadership style for the most part.  No need to publicly call out players by name to the media, which happened to Eichel this season.  

I also believe in both setting clear responsibilities and holding people accountable to them.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I like his leadership style for the most part.  No need to publicly call out players by name to the media, which happened to Eichel this season.  

I also believe in both setting clear responsibilities and holding people accountability to them.  

Maybe why Cassidy wore out his welcome in Boston. Krejci came back once he left.

51 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I also believe in both setting clear responsibilities and holding people accountability to them.  

Jack seemed to respond really well to it to be honest. Maybe he needed it 

Usually depends on the individual, different people respond to different tacts

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Jack seemed to respond really well to it to be honest. Maybe he needed it 

Usually depends on the individual, different people respond to different tacts

I haven't watched Vegas play lately, but maybe Eichel is comitting to playing more of a team game? Anyone who watches them play that is a serious question.

His production is just not there. Less than a point per game player this year. Even with the hat trick a few games ago he only has 8 points in his last 10 games. The hat trick is the only game he scored in over the last 10. BUT, the team is winning again.  Again, I'm curious if he is decided to play a more 'team centric' game first and not worry about getting his points or his ice time, and maybe that is contributing to Vegas doing better? He is actually becoming a team leader and a team player like he never has been?

28 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I haven't watched Vegas play lately, but maybe Eichel is comitting to playing more of a team game? Anyone who watches them play that is a serious question.

His production is just not there. Less than a point per game player this year. Even with the hat trick a few games ago he only has 8 points in his last 10 games. The hat trick is the only game he scored in over the last 10. BUT, the team is winning again.  Again, I'm curious if he is decided to play a more 'team centric' game first and not worry about getting his points or his ice time, and maybe that is contributing to Vegas doing better? He is actually becoming a team leader and a team player like he never has been?

Ya. Pointz. We all (myself included) try to dial it down to such an over simplification all the time but in reality there’s so much more. Eichel’s production certainly IS there, looking at overall game, both ways. Recently posted that yes, according to Ben Gotz and other Vegas reporters he’s central in their locker room. It doesn’t really matter how many 30 goal scorers you have if you give up 30 the other way. Vegas is 4th overall, a premiere team in this league and he’s, by all accounts, their best player this season. So if he’s good enough to be the best player on playoff bound team,  it comes down to the team’s ability of lack there of to provide the support necessary. It was *always* about surrounding your best players with talent - it’s not the NBA 

people were MORE than happy to proclaim jack guilty by association when he arrived there last year and ended up missing the playoffs, regardless of how he played. “Coach killer”. “Sabres will make playoffs before Vegas. A cancer you can’t win with.” Gonna have to take their medicine on this one. Can’t play both sides of it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As a Vegas season ticket holder Eichel has really picked it up of late. This trade looks like it benefited both teams. Eichel has been really good and has been good on the defensive side of the puck. Marchessault and Barbashev are his line mates. Plus he usually plays left side of the powerplay. 

Shhhh. You have to say he sucks people feel better 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As a Vegas season ticket holder Eichel has really picked it up of late. This trade looks like it benefited both teams. Eichel has been really good and has been good on the defensive side of the puck. Marchessault and Barbashev are his line mates. Plus he usually plays left side of the powerplay. 

Love to hear this. We no longer have any Vegas picks so win all the regular season games you want. 

• 8 months later...

All the Sabres biggest issues are coaching and Gm related . Bad back to back play indicates lack of conditioning . Why is Okposo still here ? Why is Krebs on the team ? Why can't 2 # 1 overall draft picks play defense ? Why did these fools trade Jack Eichel ? The entire organization  is a mess . We should be a Stanley  Cup contender every year after all the high picks we've had . Toronto  , Detroit , New Jersey all hit rock bottom  after the Sabres and they are already better teams . Pegula is a billionaire  polluter who doesn't give a ***** either. Stop wasting your money and energy on these ungrateful franchises. The fan base has been taken for granted for decades !

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.