Devon Levi Signed to 3 year deal

sabresparaavida

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regarding the immigration issue, can anyone here tell me how and in what way the Sabres can influence the speed of the process one way or the other? 

During the trade deadline coverage on TSN they specifically mentioned teams needing to do the immigration thing IS actually a concern / factor for all teams - it stood out to me b/c they were saying it’s pretty hard line. Ie it’s “not open on weekends” type stuff and in many cases the player themselves has to show up to the immigration office. It’s not athlete preferential treatment type stuff 

I don’t think we are seeing anything unusual 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, JohnC said:

This immigration issue is perplexing. I can understand a short delay but not this length. What makes it even more odd is that he played for an American school. I understand that his permitting relates to employment but I don't know what could be the cause of this delay.  

Blame it on Covid. It’s the low hanging fruit of 2023 😂

1 minute ago, MBD said:

I heard it was going to get shut down. 

I heard on a militia radio broadcast that I regularly listen to that if the internet shuts down because of a nuclear war initiated by our government that the backup source of communication will be moon beams. The militia warned me that if it is cloudy it may interrupt the broadcast. Then I was instructed to patiently wait for the weather to clear up. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I heard on a militia radio broadcast that I regularly listen to that if the internet shuts down because of a nuclear war initiated by our government that the backup source of communication will be moon beams. The militia warned me that if it is cloudy it may interrupt the broadcast. Then I was instructed to patiently wait for the weather to clear up. 

No, COVID was going to be shut down.

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This immigration issue is perplexing. I can understand a short delay but not this length. What makes it even more odd is that he played for an American school. I understand that his permitting relates to employment but I don't know what could be the cause of this delay.  

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

During the trade deadline coverage on TSN they specifically mentioned teams needing to do the immigration thing IS actually a concern / factor for all teams - it stood out to me b/c they were saying it’s pretty hard line. Ie it’s “not open on weekends” type stuff and in many cases the player themselves has to show up to the immigration office. It’s not athlete preferential treatment type stuff 

I don’t think we are seeing anything unusual 

I appreciate the input. The reason I asked in the first place is because a couple of posts suggested the Sabres somehow screwed up here when they actually have zero control over the process. Perhaps is was sarcasm, but it’s worth clarifying none the less.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate the input. The reason I asked in the first place is because a couple of posts suggested the Sabres somehow screwed up here when they actually have zero control over the process. Perhaps is was sarcasm, but it’s worth clarifying none the less.

The only screw up, and it's a minor one, was in waiting until Friday to sign him.  And that would've been on Levi's timeline, not theirs.  So even that's hard to fault them too much over.

Presuming they actually had the paperwork ready to file and filed it promptly after the ink was dry on the paper.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The only screw up, and it's a minor one, was in waiting until Friday to sign him.  And that would've been on Levi's timeline, not theirs.  So even that's hard to fault them too much over.

Presuming they actually had the paperwork ready to file and filed it promptly after the ink was dry on the paper.

Is Levi practicing at all?

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Since the delay in signing him was Levi’s decision and totally out of their control, it’s not even a minor screw up by the Sabres. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Since the delay in signing him was Levi’s decision and totally out of their control, it’s not even a minor screw up by the Sabres. 

Agree. It will get straightened out eventually. I’m not upset anxious or aggravated at the length of time. It is what it is… Whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Agree. It will get straightened out eventually. I’m not upset anxious or aggravated at the length of time. It is what it is… Whatever. 

I’m not, either. But with all the pitchforks out about owners that won’t spend money, an inept GM, clueless coaching, etc., I just wanna be clear that this isn’t added to their list of lynchable offenses.

There are immigration lawyers that can push this stuff through quickly.  I have no desire to cast aspersions upon ownership or management, but something is wrong if they don't have such a lawyer ready to go at a minute's notice.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

There are immigration lawyers that can push this stuff through quickly.  I have no desire to cast aspersions upon ownership or management, but something is wrong if they don't have such a lawyer ready to go at a minute's notice.

Can you confirm that Levi is not in fact a vampire?

23 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You have no desire to cast aspersions, but went ahead and did so anyway. 😂

Does it occur to anyone concerned about the delay that it may not matter at all to the Sabres or Levi? That, since it was gonna be well over a week since he played by the time the immigration paperwork was processed, that they’d prefer some practices under his belt before playing him in the meantime? 

This is as much of a non issue as can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You have no desire to cast aspersions, but went ahead and did so anyway. 😂

Does it occur to anyone concerned about the delay that it may not matter at all to the Sabres or Levi? That, since it was gonna be well over a week since he played by the time the immigration paperwork was processed, that they’d prefer some practices under his belt before playing him in the meantime? 

This is as much of a non issue as can be. 

1.  No, I really tried to avoid it!  Please don't read into anything.  

2.  No.  That's not realistic.  He can't practice with the team until he gets the work visa.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

2.  No.  That's not realistic.  He can't practice with the team until he gets the work visa.

And I must’ve read it wrong somewhere… I thought he was not only skating with the team at KeyBank… But also practicing a little too.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Perhaps I confused “practicing with the team” with “working on the ice after practice” which he has been doing. Thanks for the clarification. 

And I didn’t read anything into your post about casting aspersions; just busting your chops a bit.

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And I must’ve read it wrong somewhere… I thought he was not only skating with the team at KeyBank… But also practicing a little too.

• Like (+1) 1

Levi is practicing and working out. It may not be fully with the team but it is enough to start the process of getting acclimated to NHL play. I suspect that he will be able to start in net for some games when the team falls out of the playoff race. I have said this before, so I apologize for the redundancy, our GM's acquisition of Levi from the Reinhart deal might turn out to be one of his most consequential deals. It took some time for the organization to realize the benefits from the ROR trade that got us Tage. In hindsight, it ended up being a major deal in our favor. I see the same results happening with the acquisition of Levi. The next obvious question is how long is it going to take before Levi becomes our primary goalie? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.