NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s a tone there that rubs me the wrong way a tad, too. A bit different from other quotes we’ve seen 

I get a “we know a little more than the fans, ok” vibe there 

don’t really need to come out and say that

He’s basically echoing the “why panic?” sentiment made here sometimes when someone suggests even a small move 

the conflation of liking to see improvement with impatience is a poor one. And somewhat insulting considering what we’ve been through 

sorry donny

Who are these people recommending a small move? As far as I can tell anything that is being done/not done that doesn’t involve a perceived top player is actually mocked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t know why anyone expected them to do anything. it wasn’t in the plan to be in this position at this moment and they’re not going to change to plan. They are content not making the playoffs in hopes that next year the kids have developed into a playoff team. 

I honestly don’t see them doing anything “big” for a few years. They are just going to wait to see how the kids develop.

Edited by Sidc3000
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Who are these people recommending a small move? As far as I can tell anything that is being done/not done that doesn’t involve a perceived top player is actually mocked.

Me? You run a great website here SDS, there are plenty of posters here and plenty of better posters than me taking the time to dutifully outline their position on that front - there’s nuance here even if it can’t be found on twitter 

3 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

All i can say is screw the future.... Their plan is off. KA is showing he has tunnel vision when it comes to the "plan". The plan went ahead and instead of helping the now, he is saying "screw the now" all there is my plan. That is not a good trait for a GM. 

See! The utter nuance!

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Me? You run a great website here SDS, there are plenty of posters here and plenty of better posters than me taking the time to dutifully outline their position on that front - there’s nuance here even if it can’t be found on twitter 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I don’t know why anyone expected them to do anything. it wasn’t in the plan to be in this position at this moment and they’re not going to change to plan. They are content not making the playoffs in hopes that next year the kids have developed into a playoff team. 

Fans are aware of the plan, but judging by the comments in favor of making any type of move to address the team's apparent shortcomings, most don't completely agree with the plan.

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

Adams hasn't even used his capspace to get an extra pick and the only logic I have heard on that is they don't want to help a team they might see in the playoffs which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The team is going to make that move anyways. 

8 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I honestly don’t see them doing anything “big” for a few years. They are just going to wait to see how the kids develop.

I kinda agree.

I didn't expect anything big at the trade deadline, and I almost didn't want anything big now.  If a great deal presented itself, sure. But for the long term success of this team, I'd rather have them not spend any assets (prospects or picks) now when they are in a bidding war with teams 'going for it now', and rather save them for the offseason. Not only can you fill the holes with free agency, but Trades.  In the offseason, you won't have 4-8 teams desperate to make a deal, you will have Assets those teams traded away at the deadline that you won't compete with, and teams will be taking a longer/harder look at getting under the cap so if you have room (and the Sabres do), well....overall I think they can get better players for a LOT less of a cost, even through trades.   Does suck for the next 20 games? Yes, but I think it makes next year and beyond a lot better.

Again, his plan is not a good plan. Hoping your homegrown pans out, and not being able to see and correct your own teams short comings is not a plan. The needs are plain as day, but he cannot see nor is willing to correct when his own team is on the door of the play offs. This is a professional hockey team, not a barn team. There were plenty of pieces at reasonable asks that could have seriously helped this team without mortgaging the "Plan". Shopping at Pic N Save for help is not really trying to help the team. 

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This schtick is growing old if I am being honest. The idea you can't improve now because of some magical future when you have the Sabres list of assets is just narrow minded and actually shortsighted. We have 3 2nd round picks, we aren't hurting oursleves by trading one of them now. 

the team last night showed what the future looks like if we don't bring in any outside help for our D.

The future didn't look so bright last night, with the only thing being sacrificed: our Sabres.

2 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Fans are aware of the plan, but judging by the comments in favor of making any type of move to address the team's apparent shortcomings, most don't completely agree with the plan.

A lot of fans, like myself, are impatient at this point. Unfortunately I’ve resigned myself to be happy with watchable games. I won’t expect them to ever make the playoffs let alone be a consistent cup contender

Could you imagine how bad the Sabres would be if they didn’t catch lightning in a bottle with Tage? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jad1 said:

Yes, but if you don't think trade deadline is the time to address shortcomings then you may not be opposed to what KA is doing. Guess I'm in that boat. Let's see what happens draft time and off season. 

10 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

home alone map GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, In The Buff said:

the team last night showed what the future looks like if we don't bring in any outside help for our D.

The future didn't look so bright last night, with the only thing being sacrificed: our Sabres.

Yes, and no.... we were playing the best team in their house. We were just shown our place in the food chain. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

What counts as a small move? Bjork was a non move. Stillman was probably the bottom limit of a small move. What else is even on the table to discuss?

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Yes, but if you don't think trade deadline is the time to address shortcomings then you may not be opposed to what KA is doing. Guess I'm in that boat. Let's see what happens draft time and off season. 

Wait and see. Where have we heard that before?

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

Wait and see. Where have we heard that before?

Okay, I may be in the minority on here but I've felt that our odds of making the playoffs even in recent weeks to be maybe 30-35%. So I personally wouldn't be buying now. So, yes I'm for waiting at this particular time until off season. 

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Okay, I may be in the minority on here but I've felt that our odds of making the playoffs even in recent weeks to be maybe 30-35%. So I personally wouldn't be buying now. So, yes I'm for waiting at this particular time until off season. 

I think (thought? Have to check standings) they had the best odds of any one team fighting for 8th, but even the 30-35% number id wager would be too high if imputed into a statical model

”the field” looms large in situations like this 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

What will you do when Adams does nothing this offseason either? Just rolls back the same team with maybe 1 vet replacement up front? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.