ESPN - Execs and Player vote Tage as a top 10 center in the NHL.

GASabresIUFAN

Sabrespace top 10 centers (Vote for up to 10)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the top 10 NHL centers (1st 19 listed by current pts/gp pace and all are over 1 pt/gp) - Vote up to 10

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35712543/ranking-nhl-top-centers-execs-players-vote-best

Tage finished 10th just edging out......wait for it.........can you guess?......... Jack Eichel!!!!!! LOL

10. Tage Thompson, Buffalo Sabres
28 Points | Age: 25

Here's some incredible irony for Sabres fans: Tage Thompson actually tied for 10th place in total points but won the tiebreaker thanks to having the higher individual placement over the center who tied him.

That center? Buffalo's old friend Jack Eichel of the Vegas Golden Knights, who officially placed just outside the top 10.

Thompson was voted the second-best center in the NHL by one Eastern Conference executive -- and for transparency's sake, we can tell you that executive does not work for Terry Pegula. While that lofty ranking might have been a surprise, Thompson's place in the top 10 isn't one. The 6-foot-6 center broke out with 38 goals in 78 games last season, and has only improved on that dominance with 36 goals through 55 games this season.

"I think maybe Thompson could be a little bit higher," an NHL coach said. "I just think he is pretty dynamic and has thrown that team on his back the last couple months."

"After going up against Tage Thompson this season, I don't think he's high enough," an Eastern Conference skater said. "That guy is a tank. He's huge and fast; actually reminds me of Auston Matthews in that sense where they're both hard to get off the puck just because of their natural builds."

But others are still taking a wait-and-see approach with the Sabres center.

"He's a riser. I need to see more of it. But obviously, he burst on the scene," a Western Conference exec said. "It has taken him some time, but he looks like a pretty special player that's really popped. For him to move up that chart, I personally need to see it a little longer. He's obviously good at what he's doing."

Honorable mentions

Eichel, who finished sixth in our 2021 ranking, did receive one fifth-place vote from a current Western Conference skater.

An Eastern Conference executive said that Eichel would make their top 12. "I know he's had his past struggles. But as for projections in the next couple years ... you look at his 5-on-4 time, the way he is playing, he's playing different and better in Vegas," the exec said. "That's someone I would keep an eye on in the next couple years because the list might be different."

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here is the list by the way.

1. McDavid  46-63-109 (59 games) - 1.85 pts/gp. Best center, best player 

2. Matthews 26-31-57 (51 games) - 1.12 

3. MacKinnon 19-48-67 (48) - 1.52

4. Crosby 25-44-69 (57) - 1.21

5. Draisaitl 35-52-87 (57) - 1.53

6. Barkov 16-34-50 (49) - 1.02

7. Point 34-31-65 (57) - 1.14

8. Huges, Jack 35-37-72 (54) - 1.33

9. Bergeron 20-21-41 (56) - .73

10. Thompson 39-36-75 (56) - 1.34

11. Eichel 18-22-40 (44) - .91

HM Petterson 28-47-75 (56) - 1.34

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35712543/ranking-nhl-top-centers-execs-players-vote-best

Tage finished 10th just edging out......wait for it.........can you guess?......... Jack Eichel!!!!!! LOL

Great to see. Tage needs to continue to grow and get better. He could be top 5 or 4 with his size and abilities. And he’s still only 25. 

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Tampa Bay’s scouting department have such a knack for finding great players. We should steal one of their scouts. Watching Point skate tonight - how did that guy drop to round 3? Insane speed.  

Just now, FrenchConnection44 said:

Tampa Bay’s scouting department have such a knack for finding great players. We should steal one of their scouts. Watching Point skate tonight - how did that guy drop to round 3? Insane speed.  

Matt Savoie could be the next Point. Drafted way earlier but plays like him.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are we talking players how are 'listed' at Center on NHL.com, or legit centers?  Because Draisaitl does play some center for Edmonton, but he also is on the wing alot, probably more than center.

Petterson is having a great season, and when you watch him play, he is playing a LOT better now than Eichel has played in years. He for sure should be ahead of Jack.  I'd aslo move Jack Hughes up the list. Right now I think he has passed Crosby and Barkov, probably Point.

Edited by mjd1001

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Are we talking players how are 'listed' at Center on NHL.com, or legit centers?  Because Draisaitl does play some center for Edmonton, but he also is on the wing alot, probably more than center.

Petterson is having a great season, and when you watch him play, he is playing a LOT better now than Eichel has played in years. He for sure should be ahead of Jack.  I'd aslo move Jack Hughes up the list. Right now I think he has passed Crosby and Barkov, probably Point.

I know Draisaitl is good but I’m of the opinion he is overrated by playing with McJesus. There is a small sample size of him playing well when McJesus was out. I wonder how good he would be as a 1C for a different team.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This will seem like a shot at Eichel but not my intention. Is the only Jack Eichel continues to be mentioned in these lists because of his draft status? 

He is in the conversation because of that status and the fact he has potential to be that good. You need to bring it nearly every night to be on that list.

Sorry about piling on. LOL

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I know Draisaitl is good but I’m of the opinion he is overrated by playing with McJesus. There is a small sample size of him playing well when McJesus was out. I wonder how good he would be as a 1C for a different team.

Someone pulled the numbers.....in games where Draisatle played without McDavid, 49 games, 16 goals, 33 assists for Draisatl.

That annualizes out to 27 goals, 55 assists over an 82 game season.  Good, but not great.  Of course of lot of that was earlier in his career when he was younger, but he already was putting up points then with McDavid anyway.  

Recently (in the past few years, taking out when he was under 21 years old), Draisaitl has played 12 games since 2018 without McDavid. In those 12 games, he has 7 goals, 12 assist, and 19 points in those 12 games.

Edited by mjd1001

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Someone pulled the numbers.....in games where Draisatle played without McDavid, 49 games, 16 goals, 33 assists for Draisatl.

That annualizes out to 27 goals, 55 assists over an 82 game season.  Good, but not great.  Of course of lot of that was earlier in his career when he was younger, but he already was putting up points then with McDavid anyway.  

Kopitar like numbers without being a Selke type C.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This will seem like a shot at Eichel but not my intention. Is the only Jack Eichel continues to be mentioned in these lists because of his draft status? 

I don’t think it’s that so much as he does have the chops to play at a high level. But he’s always been kinda streaky and can go several games without a point and then explode for a few games. Other guys on that list produce game in and game out for the most part.

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The list was compiled through interviews with players and team executives of players they consider centers. Apparently many in the NHL still hold Eichel is high regard.

FYI: 5 of the 10 were 1st overall picks.  Barkov was 2nd, Draisaitl was 3rd, TNT 26th, Bergeron 45th and Point 79th.

I’ve added a poll question. Players are listed by their current points per game production for the players scoring at least 1 pt/gp.  I’ve also listed others like Bergeron, Kopitar and Aho who people argue should be considered in the top 10.  FYI Cozens is currently 33 in pts/gp by NHL centers.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.