2023-24 Sabres Early Thoughts

GASabresIUFAN

Which Current Sabres or Prospects will make the team next year? Choose up to 23  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which forwards will make the team next season? (Pick up to 9) - Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens are a given.

• Greenway - 2 years left on current contract
    • Quinn - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Peterka - 2 years left on current contract (RFA)
    • Mittelstadt - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Krebs - 1 year left on current contract (RFA)
    • Olofsson - 1 year left on current contract
    • Jost - RFA
    • Girgensons - UFA
    • Okposo - UFA
    • Hinostroza - UFA
    • Kulich - 3 years left on ELC
    • Savoie - 3 years left on ELC
    • Rousek - RFA
  2. 2. Which Defender will make the team next year? (Pick up to 5) - Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson are a given.

• Jokiharju - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Lyubushkin - 1 year left on contract
    • Stillman - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Bryson - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Clague - RFA
    • Johnson (if he signs his ELC)
  3. 3. Which Goaltenders make the Sabres next season? (Pick up to 2)

• UPL - 1 year left on contract (RFA)
    • Comrie - I year left on contract
    • Anderson - UFA
    • Levi (If he signs his ELC)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s funny, but it seems people are down on JJP and high on Quinn, yet Quinn only had 5 more points this past season and only 2 more goals.  Both were better than Casey’s first season.  I still believe that both have similar upside as each other.  They both remind me of Stl’s Thomas and Kyrou.  Those two started with 30 pt seasons at a similar age and have blossomed into 70 pts players.  I expect both guys to take another step forward next season at Cozen’s wingers. 

How anyone could be down on JJP is beyond me. 

He created so many chances with his speed and skill.  Just scratching the surface of his potential.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think they kinda addressed that move with Greenway and may see where that goes before adding another.

That said, how do you like this?

• Skinner Thompson Tuch
  • Mittelstadt Cozens Wilson
  • Greenway Compher Okposo
  • Peterka Krebs Quinn
  • (Savoie)
  • Dahlin Samuelsson
  • Power Graves
  • Boosh Joki
  • (Stillman)
  • Levi
  • (New veteran)

Feel free to mix and match as desired/ Did I miss anyone?

That lineup would be awesome.

I haven’t done the cap math here, hoping it could work with Power and Dahlin extensions.

I don’t know if KA would go after Wilson and Compher if he keeps KO around. I can see one of those guys picked up.

Someone like Graves, hopefully him is a necessity in my opinion.

If he does this to the goaltending then we know he is serious. It’s a competitive business and Comrie/UPL have dropped down the pecking order. I hope one of them remains in Rochester.

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That would be durn near the perfect off-season IMHO.  (Though personally would rather have Girgensons back rather than Okposo as IMHO he has more in the tank.  REALLY expect Okposo to have a Pominville part 2 type season if he comes back but would be starting from a much lower floor than Jason had to fall from.)

How much does Wilson get?  i doubt the Sabres will be able to afford it.

34 minutes ago, Krammy7191 said:

Sign Dumba and Miles Wood.

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Greenway Cozens Savoie

Quinn Middlestadt Peterka

Wood- Krebs- Okposo

Rousek

Mule- Dahlin

Power- Dumba

Joker- Boosh

Stillman

Levi

UPL

Comrie (Amerks)

im feeling pretty confident that Girgs and KO are brought back and all the 2023/24 forwards are already in the organization already

If I am KA, I'm spending the $6 til $8 Million I have available to offer on a longer term deal and use it on 2 dmen.

3 hours ago, SabresBaltimore said:

It sounds like from the presser today KA is trying to lock up Dahlin and Power sooner rather than later. If he can do that with one or both this offseason, that will really help them to know how much they have to spend on a 4D.

Why wouldn't the GM want to get a deal sooner rather than later? (Rhetorical question.) The cost will go up the longer it takes to get a deal locked up. The issue isn't so much what the GM wants to do as it is what do the players want to do. Dahlin was smart when he took a bridge deal. Now as time passed from that signing, he has demonstrated that he is one of the top defenders in the league. What the elite players in the league are getting is the range in which he will be getting. And you don't have to be a hockey aficionado to recognize how good Power is now, and how much better he is going to get in the near future. 

Most organizations would be ecstatic to have one elite defenseman on their roster. We inarguably have two. And to top things off, both players are committed to their craft and are committed to their team. Both are players and people you are proud to have representing your franchise. These are two players that when they get the premium dollars they richly deserve, you are happy for them. They earned it. 

Mike Harrington wrote an article in the Buffalo News yesterday listing the Sabres record on the road and at home. The road record was 25-13-3 while the home record was17-20-4. What stood out was the team's record when there were 17000 plus people in the arena: It was 10-5-2. When the attendance was below 17000, the record was 7-15-2. Most of our dud games were in front of small crowds. As was evident at the end of the season when the team was making a playoff run, the fans filled the arena and the players played with a lot more energy. It's important that next season the team starts off. It needs to quickly show the fans that this team has turned the corner and is now a serious team in the league. How this team finished this season should augur well for even some of the skeptics next season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Mike Harrington wrote an article in the Buffalo News yesterday listing the Sabres record on the road and at home. The road record was 25-13-3 while the home record was17-20-4. What stood out was the team's record when there were 17000 plus people in the arena: It was 10-5-2. When the attendance was below 17000, the record was 7-15-2. Most of our dud games were in front of small crowds. As was evident at the end of the season when the team was making a playoff run, the fans filled the arena and the players played with a lot more energy. It's important that next season the team starts off. It needs to quickly show the fans that this team has turned the corner and is now a serious team in the league. How this team finished this season should augur well for even some of the skeptics next season. 

What was the home record based on:

1. Black goathead uni's?

2. White "Pajama" uni's?

3. Normal blue uni's?

Maybe it's not the crowd 🤔???

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

As I’ve said previously, they sold a significant amount of new season tickets inventory. A good off-season and I think the crowds will be there from the start.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think they kinda addressed that move with Greenway and may see where that goes before adding another.

That said, how do you like this?

• Skinner Thompson Tuch
  • Mittelstadt Cozens Wilson
  • Greenway Compher Okposo
  • Peterka Krebs Quinn
  • (Savoie)
  • Dahlin Samuelsson
  • Power Graves
  • Boosh Joki
  • (Stillman)
  • Levi
  • (New veteran)

Feel free to mix and match as desired/ Did I miss anyone?

That has some serious hard to play against vibes, and still allows for a fair amount of fire wagon hockey.

11 hours ago, tom webster said:

As I’ve said previously, they sold a significant amount of new season tickets inventory. A good off-season and I think the crowds will be there from the start.

You make a good point that if the organization makes some visible moves this offseason, especially on the blueline, it will give more credence to the belief that next year's team will be a serious team. The end of the season crowds this past season were larger and more engaged. That's what happens when you have something to play for and cheer for. Starting the season off well will create an enthusiasm and demand for a product that should carry on throughout the season. If the team starts off slowly, the fan momentum will be stalled and the "wait until you show me" fan attitude will continue on. 

11 hours ago, Weave said:

That has some serious hard to play against vibes, and still allows for a fair amount of fire wagon hockey.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for Tom Wilson 

Their cap space is going to get eaten up by the extensions kicking in.  

they wont be able to do a legit too 4 Dman AND  Wilson 

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Thanks Mike.

One of DG or KA also said the players are bothered by enemy fans in the building. Hopefully that starts to ameloriate itself.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Thanks Mike.

One of DG or KA also said the players are bothered by enemy fans in the building. Hopefully that starts to ameloriate itself.

Time to pull out the dictionary! 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Time to pull out the dictionary! 

ameliorate - 

make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.

"the reform did much to ameliorate living standards"

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

They have a lot of cap space, especially considering cap is expected to rise significantly after this year.

are you just saying this or have you actually added it up ? And no, the cap isn’t expected to rise until the 25/26 season.  

what do you expect Dahlin and Power to sign for combined ?

if Mitts has a good season what will he get ? 

I’d be surprised if Dahlin receives more than 10 mil per. And Power receives more than 8 mil per. Both 7 or 8 year deals.

As far as Mitts I would be surprised if KA signs him earlier than next summer. I think he wants to see if Mitts has a second good season before committing or trading. A risk, but a risk KA would be willing to do. All things considered. 

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

are you just saying this or have you actually added it up ? And no, the cap isn’t expected to rise until the 25/26 season.  

what do you expect Dahlin and Power to sign for combined ?

if Mitts has a good season what will he get ? 

We’ve covered this and articles have posted stating cap is going to rise pretty steadily after next year. When I have time I’ll lay it all out for you but it’s fairly straight forward but gist is that at minimum cap will be $88M for 24/25, $92M for 25/26.

Edited by tom webster

10 hours ago, tom webster said:

They have a lot of cap space, especially considering cap is expected to rise significantly after this year.

The Sabres had $17.1 million in space this year.

Next year Tage, Cozens And Muel kick in for about $19 combined.

They lose Bishop, Okposo’s deals and if VO and Comrie are moved that is about $18 combined.

The following year is when Dahlin and Power extensions would kick in.  People are hoping Dahlin Signs for $9.5 or so. He is already making $6 so you would be adding $3-4. Power will be the bi addition at that time. Then Tuch will be coming up. 

At some point you might need to look at Skinner’s $9 and see about moving it out.

They are not in bad shape but the money will dry up quick if guys like Quinn take that next step.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.